WG-1608 Bricked no LEDs

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Acegger4
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WG-1608 Bricked no LEDs

Post by Acegger4 »

I was flashing my wg1608 with openwrt trying to get a build with 5ghz wifi working. A little while after the flash, I see the network name for a split second then it goes away.

I go to check in on the router and there are no led lights anymore. I unplugged it, checker the outlet works (tired about outlet just in case) and nothing.

So I try putting it into recovery mode by plugging into lan1, pulling the power, holding the reset button for 15 seconds and then plugging it in while holding the reset button for another 15 seconds, and again nothing. I tried pinging localhost just in case, but there is no connection.

Any other suggestions? I can't believe that failed a flash could brick it this hard.
Didneywhorl

Re: WG-1608 Bricked no LEDs

Post by Didneywhorl »

A failed flash, if done via the web UI / rooter menu, really cant brick it like you're thinking. Do you have your PCs ethernet port set to a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x subdomain? If not, that is why you can't access the recovery UI. It cant give you an IP address since the router isn't loading its firmware.

But there is concern over no LEDs. The LEDs should flash and light up during the primary bootloading. If they are all out, you may have a dead router from power issues, not firmware loading. I have some seriously bricked routers that still have the lights half light up when it powers up. They don't flash or do anything, but they do light up slightly.

The recovery UI is a part of the bootloader program that sits in a different spot in the memory than the router firmware. It is what launches the firmware. If there is no firmware the bootlauncher will auto launch the recovery UI. This is what is launched if you have an invalid firmware or you press the reset button during bootup for the 12-15 seconds.

Set a static IP on your ethernet interfaces IPV4 settings, then try again.

I also always recommend using a new private tab in your browser so that it doesn't pull in cached web info from your normal webUI logins.
Acegger4
Been thanked: 0

Post by Acegger4 »

Thanks, I did forget to set the static ip, but unfortunately it didn't help. Still no LEDs and no ping response. Seems unlikely that a power issue happened while I was flashing it, but I guess that's what happened. I did have it directly plugged into the wall instead of in the surge protector while I was flashing.

Lesson learned I guess
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

It is odd, but not impossible. Sucks.
Infector944

Post by Infector944 »

I had the included 12w power brick fail on mine, and later the 24w one that I pulled out of the power supply bin also failed.

The one thing I've noticed it that the DC plug connector on the board is inset a bit from the front of the case. The standard ~8mm depth that most DC barrel connectors have is just barely enough to make a good contact. My 36w power supply barrel connector is ~10mm deep and plugs in securely.

So maybe they didn't fail, just weren't plugged in all the way.

I'm currently using a 36w adapter from some old printer or other random device.

So test the power supply to see if you are getting 12-14V out of it. Replace it with at least a 12v 2a supply and see if that works.

Return to “General and Unclassified”