Verizon Post Paid Jetpack vs Tablet

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
ms2sat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Verizon Post Paid Jetpack vs Tablet

Post by ms2sat »

I have been trying to decide the best course of action to get my GL-iNet router up and running. I was going to go prepaid but since I'm already a Verizon Post Paid customer and they get the best service and speeds where I live I decided on adding a line to my current account to keep it easier.

I can add a hotspot or tablet line for the same $20 a month for 15gb. Which plan is going to get throttled more aggressively, if at all after the 15gb? I don't think I'm going to really even be getting going over it on a regular basis and am really more concerned about the overall speed; but would be nice to know.

I'm currently looking on eBay for a used jetpack purely to get the service up before I move the SIM over to my other router. Perhaps I should look for a cheapy tablet instead? OR just take my chances and provide my router IMEI to Verizon and just get a SIM without all these other steps... though I hear that's a no no.

Any input is appreciated I get confused looking at all the different threads.

*Edit from looking further on it seems like Verizon likes to "sniff" their traffic more agressively than some others, going along with that whichever choice I make I'd rather work hands off for the long run without getting banned or something.
lukelil

Re: Verizon Post Paid Jetpack vs Tablet

Post by lukelil »

As a Verizon employee, I may be able to offer some advice.

Like you mentioned both of the plans are the same cost when postpaid.

The main difference is the two types of data the tablet plan has.
The tablet plan can support Unlimited 5G Nationwide / 4G LTE data (+15 GB of premium data).
And an Unlimited mobile hotspot that is slowed to 600KB after 15 GB (15 GB of 5G Nationwide / 4G LTE data)

The jetpack only has hotspot data or tethered data. This data is slowed to the point of no use after 15GB.

My thought would be to activate a postpaid tablet and see if you can mask the data usage in your router. TTL settings of 117 should work for Verizon.

Users that have the jetpack come back a lot for more data plans on their account because once the data is slowed it is 98% unusable.

You can always switch your phone plan to the Get More plan. This will give you 30GB of hotspot data on your phone and also 50% off connected devices such as a jetpack or tablet. You could elect for the $30 Jetpack or tablet plan which would discount to $15(Half off). This $30 Jetpack and Tablet Plan comes with 30GB of premium hotspot data.
Thus you would have 60GB of data total to use before slowed.

Just some thoughts, hope that helped!
ms2sat

Post by ms2sat »

That bit of info does help. I'm sure it comes as no surprise I heard the opposite from a phone CSR as well as an Agent retailer. Each said "...oh yeah you'd never even notice being throttled, the plans are exactly the same..."

My original plan was to drop to a 10gb plan for my smartphone and add the 15 gig jetpack as a new line. Found out that can't be done. So with that being said I'll be moving to the "Do More" from "Play More" and getting that $10 jetpack 15 gig plan @ 50% off.

I got a bit impatient and got a new Ellipsis MHS900L with an included nano SIM off eBay for $25 shipped. That was way cheaper than I could find a tablet. I'll be keeping my eye out for a tablet because I would actually like a newer iPad for a daily driver. It's just not in the budget just yet. I'll just make sure it's LTE capable with all this in mind and maybe switch plans in the future. Who knows VZ may run a "free tablet" promo in the future.

So being on a hotspot plan there'd be no messing with the TTL to beat the throttling then? I can deal with that for now I guess.
lawnmowerman

Post by lawnmowerman »

ms2sat wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:48 pm So being on a hotspot plan there'd be no messing with the TTL to beat the throttling then? I can deal with that for now I guess.
For the Jetpack plan, you cannot bypass the data cap (and therefore throttling) via TTL settings. It is simply built into the plan that no matter the device or type of usage, after hitting the data cap, the device is throttled. And as others have said, it is so slow as to be practically useless.
Complicated Van

Post by Complicated Van »

Has anyone here tried moving the Jetpack SIM to their mobile router? I want to do this with a Max Transit, but was just on the phone with Verizon and the supervisor interjected with associate (who is also building out an RV, awesome) to say that I would have to leave the SIM in the Jetpack or I would PROBABLY get a letter in the mail and a cancellation of service.

It's so frustrating that these companies do this.

Anyway, I'd like to move forward with all this and would really love to do it above board rather than an ebay reseller.

Thanks,
-b
ms2sat

Post by ms2sat »

Im currently running a tablet plan in a VZ branded jetpack. Prior to that it was in an actual tablet then two different unlocked routers. They worked but setup was clunky. My last router was the GL.iNet XE-300. While it would eventually connect it would drop off two or three IP addresses before one would stick. It might take up to 20 or 30 minutes for it to be happy and stay stable. This would happen every time I powered it off. With the SIM in the router it would show up in my Verizon account as "Unregistered Device" under the tablet line.

I ended up sending both back because I'm my particular application the routers were two power hungry and the jetpack (MHS900L), despite the numerous complaints actually gets better speeds than either router.

Strangely on my account it shows up that I'm using the jetpack with the icon and all but still shows as unregistered, along with no indication I'm using "hotspot" data. Perhaps after a billing cycle or two it will change.

So if your trying to use a Verizon SIM in an unlocked device your mileage seems like it will vary a LOT. Be prepared to for a finicky setup. At least that was my experience, good luck. Just don't tell Verizon what your doing. I bought a cheap Ellipsis 8 for $25 on eBay strictly for activation purposes.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Ok so I'm using a gl mt300n I don't hotspot my phone I tether it to the modem played around with the ttl settings and I noticed that if I changed my ttl to anything other than 65 on the modem it is registered as hotspot. Downloaded about 16 gigs game checked hotspot data and only .4 was used and that's from me testing my internet speed.
yeahme49

Post by yeahme49 »

I currently have a jetpack (8800L) activated on my postpaid account with the jetpack plan. How can I change it to a tablet plan? I have a Verizon tablet that I can use if needed. Do I just change the device on the verizon site to the tablet by entering the IMEI of the tablet but keep the SIM card in the jetpack?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

yeahme49 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:19 pm I currently have a jetpack (8800L) activated on my postpaid account with the jetpack plan. How can I change it to a tablet plan? I have a Verizon tablet that I can use if needed. Do I just change the device on the verizon site to the tablet by entering the IMEI of the tablet but keep the SIM card in the jetpack?
Is it the old truly unlimited hotspot plan? If so DONT! Those accounts are rare and irreplaceable.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”