USB Tethering for T-mobile

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
abowlofsoda
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

USB Tethering for T-mobile

Post by abowlofsoda »

I followed BillA's guide on USB tethering with a Galaxy S9 on T-mobile. Speedtest.net is showing 40mb/s but every other speed test is under 1mb/s. Alot of webpages have trouble loading but then some work real good. I'm even shocked how well Youtube works. I can stream there. But can't really stream much else. File downloads are around 70kbps. I did receive a text alert saying I was over my tether limit and will be throttled to 600kbps--- this was before I decided to try this USB tethering.

I've been messing with TTL settings and have tried 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 100 and not much changes.

What am I missing? I followed the guide to the T as far as I can tell.
abowlofsoda

Re: USB Tethering for T-mobile

Post by abowlofsoda »

Looked in my T-mobile account and it looks like its using Hotspot data, which is throttled. I'm having no luck hiding the hotspot.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,

Are you using TTL settings or are you using custom rules?

Far as pages not wanting to load that is probably dns issue.
Personally like cloudflare 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... =10#p10732
abowlofsoda

Post by abowlofsoda »

gscheb wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:32 am Hello,

Are you using TTL settings or are you using custom rules?

Far as pages not wanting to load that is probably dns issue.
Personally like cloudflare 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... =10#p10732
I've tried both TTL settings but mostly Custom Rules as that is what BillA's guide says to use. I have been doing pings and I do see my TTL changes everytime I restart the firewall.. so I'm stumped.
I had the same problem with a reseller SIM for T-mobile.

I'll check out those DNS and see if things improve, thanks.
spowers777

Post by spowers777 »

Any updates to this, I seem to be having the same problem with a Galaxy A71 5G on T-Mobile?

Have tried everything that I have seen on these forums, but still using hotspot data...

Thanks,
Steve
wtrchange

Post by wtrchange »

Just spent the day playing with an old T-Mobile android phone connected via usb tethering to an GL-AR150 running openwrt 18.06 branch. Running ping on my windows laptop connected to the router shows that my TTL numbers change based on what I enter in the "custom rules" iptable settings. They're always one less than the TTL value set in the custom rules which I believe is as expected.

But it's not working for me either; it's definitely using hotspot data as others have experienced. Would love to know if this is futile or if there's anyone out there on T-Mobile who's successfully able to usb tether.
wtrchange

Post by wtrchange »

After fighting with my T-Mobile spare line and a GL-AR150 router for a couple of days, the thing that made it work for me (to use cell data instead of hotspot data for USB tethering), was to issue the command “settings put global tether_dun_required 0” in adb and add ",dun" to the end of the APN type list on the phone. TTL 65 was the correct value. It was only after editing the "APN type" did my tethered access to back to LTE speeds after I used up all of my high speed hotspot data during testing. This also means I'm not sure if the adb command was necessary or not.

Return to “General and Unclassified”