Make This Better?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
islander261
Has thanked: 0

Make This Better?

Post by islander261 »

Hello

I am using a WE826-T2 with MC7455 modem bought from The Wireless Haven a little over a year ago for RV usage when on the road. I must say that following the tuts it was a no drama install. Now DSL is leaving my house so I need another internet connection. My house is in a rural area at low elevation with no clear view of any cell site. I now have the modem and router setup in my well shack with a 27' tall antenna mast:
antennas.JPG
Sorry about the poor contrast but a picture is worth many words.

The path as worked out by the link program:
path.png
This is a screen shot of a typical status message:
Screenshot from 2021-02-21 19-16-40.png
The antennas are two cheap Ebay LPDAs (700-2300MHZ) and are connected to the router with about 35' of LMR-240. The house is connected to the well shed by a cheap wifi band a (5 GHZ) wireless bridge. I am doing testing with a Google FI data only sim card, too expensive for normal use. The tower has cells on bands 2 and 4 that point in my direction. The connection is mostly on band 2 with short excursions to band 4. The connection speed ranges from 16Mbs to 38Mbs down link and .3Mbs to 2 Mbs uplink depending on the time of day.

Are there any easy changes I can make to improve the speed? Can I force the MC7455 to CA on bands 2 and 4? TIA

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Re: Make This Better?

Post by Didneywhorl »

You've lost 4.4 dBi on your cables alone. That makes a net gain of maybe 1-2dBi over stock antennas. Upgrading to LMR400 will get you back 2.1 dBi. If you put the modem and router up on the pole you could get most all of it back.

Your number one focus should be signal clarity and strength.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
If you don't mind paying for them it is hard to beat the Mimo Parabolic antennas. Like what is in Didneywhorl picture. They have such a high gain like 22-24 total gain opposed to like 8-11 of most other antennas. Used these things over fields, thru trees and even in attics. The only limitation I see with them they are tuned to higher frequencies. So if are in some area that only has lower frequencies that would be an issue.
See you have band 2 which is a higher frequency. If you bought a high gain antenna like that would be better off even with your Cables you have. Now if you updated both now that would be a very good boost.

Here is a calculator to figure out what Didneywhorl is talking about. https://www.timesmicrowave.com/Calculator
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Would look into a PoE setup so you can keep the antenna wires arms length
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Plan-B StarLink

Starlink is now available for order to a limited number of users in your coverage area. Placing your order now will hold your place in line for future service. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis.
islander261
Has thanked: 0

Post by islander261 »

Thanks for the replies. I tried to get Starlink but they gave a probable install date of 4th quarter 2021 even though we are in the beta zone. The DSL is getting shut off on 30/3/2021 so I can't wait until then. The worst speeds I am getting now are better than the best DSL service here. I guess it is time for some LMR-400. I actually have one piece long enough for one antenna but putting the mast down and up is a PITA.

John
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

islander261 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:44 pm Thanks for the replies. I tried to get Starlink but they gave a probable install date of 4th quarter 2021 even though we are in the beta zone. The DSL is getting shut off on 30/3/2021 so I can't wait until then. The worst speeds I am getting now are better than the best DSL service here. I guess it is time for some LMR-400. I actually have one piece long enough for one antenna but putting the mast down and up is a PITA.
John
If you end up rigging this with just one lmr 400 make sure it goes the the main antenna port. Both is ideal of course.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

islander261 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:44 pm Starlink but they gave a probable install date of 4th quarter 2021 even though we are in the beta zone.
It only cost $100 to get on the list.

You can't win if you don't play :lol:

Return to “Questions and Support”