WE826 (7511) cat 12 on Tmobile

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Da_troy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WE826 (7511) cat 12 on Tmobile

Post by Da_troy »

Good day. I would appreciate some assistance. I have been trying to work on my speeds for weeks now. Until today, I was getting 30 down and 15 up fairly consistently. I do have an iPhone 8 on the same network that gets a consistently doubles those numbers inside my house. Today, I installed an external antenna to my modem and now have better reception:

Signal Strength :
87%

RSSI :
-59 dBm

ECIO :
-16.2 (RSRQ) dB

RSCP :
-91 (RSRP) dBm

But now my speeds are in the low single digits. Before I was capitalizing on band 2 and sometimes 66, now it is stuck on band 12 and 4 most of the time. I feel like now that the signal is better, it is sticking to the slower band? I tried to lock out my bands with no success, thoughts? I appreciate any assistance. Thanks guys.

Why can't I reach the speeds of my phone?
Didneywhorl

Re: WE826 (7511) cat 12 on Tmobile

Post by Didneywhorl »

Welcome to the forum.

First, your phone: The phones modem is a close equivalent to the EM7511, but the firmware on the phone is highly optimized for that specific modem. The firmware on all openwrt routers like yours is made for MANY modems, and honestly just made to work well with them all, not best with one.

Second, your phones data is prioritized over your routers SIM, unless you are using a business elite voice SIM in your router.

The last thing is you may or may not be testing off of the same tower. You need to identify the exact tower and radio you are using when comparing data between devices and equipment.
Da_troy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Da_troy »

I have looked, I am on the same tower. Your first two comments do make sense. I just thought a cat12 would have kept up with my phone a little bit better.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Da_troy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:05 pm I have looked, I am on the same tower. Your first two comments do make sense. I just thought a cat12 would have kept up with my phone a little bit better.
Sometimes the cat12 can, but there also has to be the exact same SIM priority/plan in both to fairly compare. Also Phones of cat16 or higher modems have 4x4 mimo antennas. The Cat 12 modems are 2x2 MIMO.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

Da_troy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:29 pm I tried to lock out my bands with no success, thoughts?

Why can't I reach the speeds of my phone?
Just to double check, are you sure you executed the commands properly for band locking? I think you could approach it two ways: 1) eliminate Band 12 from the available bands, or 2) set a preference for bands other than 12.

Is this AT&T?

As Didney explained, priority data could also a factor.

Return to “General and Unclassified”