Topics for Netgear Nighthawks MRxxxx Series Hotspots
RuralRogue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Options for Using my Nighthawk M1

Post by RuralRogue »

Hello Everyone!
Gonna jump right into it.

I've got a Nighthawk M1 that is currently sitting unused after I lost the $35 ipad plan last fall. (Had it running for about a year, best internet I've ever had at my location, solid ~30mbps, was going to get some external antennas... never went over 300gb/month and still lost it...)

Since losing it, I've been struggling along with much slower options, but I run a small-business from my home, and after fighting with my ISP for about a month now to get one of their towers fixed and actually get me the speed I am paying for, I've decided to look around again for another option for home internet.

Note: I have checked Tmobile/ATT/Verizon for home internet, none are available in my area. I have preordered Starlink, but not sure when I'll get that, and I can't wait that long for reliable internet.

I have good ATT signal (Speeds on my phone are pretty low, but were great in the M1), and we have good Verizon signal (Have family members with Verizon phones)

I'm not against purchasing another router/modem/etc, but right now everything seems to be out of stock, I have the M1 on hand, and I'm wondering what my options are.

From what I've gathered:
  • $20 Prepaid Ipad plan, if I can actually get it - seems to be hard to get a rep who knows what to do, and I don't really have an ATT store near me to go into. Also worried it will go the way of the $35 plan and be shut down. And seen recent reports of them starting to impose data limits or something.
  • Att Unlimited Elite - I saw someone here on the forums mention that they use this for their internet, with great success. No real configuration required. Wondering if this is an option. I don't really mind paying the $85 per month.
  • Possible Verizon option? - I would need to get my M1 Unlocked, and probably change the IMEI.... which sounds sketchy... but I may have to do that anyway with ATT moving forward.
But I feel like I must be missing something. Looking for some help from anyone who knows what I might be able to try.

One thing I saw mentioned, and can't seem to find a definitive answer on - Did ATT block/blacklist my Hotspot IMEI when they dropped me off the plan?

Thanks in advance.
spaceotter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Options for Using my Nighthawk M1

Post by spaceotter »

I'm using this company right now, https://www.nolimitdata.net/ Their website is pretty sketchy looking and member interface on it is minimal at best, but it's been working well for me. Service was active when I received the sim from them, they've charged me the agreed amount every month on the bill date and not more and they were responsive to questions I had about the service. I think they offer att and tmobile. I'm on the tmobile service but I don't think tmobile can use your router for some reason, according to some documentation on their website. Maybe this will help. If you're being blocked by ATT though maybe not.
synamrao

Post by synamrao »

I’m in a similar situation so I am curious what you decided to do.

There’s a local reseller near me offering an unlimited (they claim truly unlimited) plan .... I suspect they have a business account and then sell sims and service to people like me.

Guess worst case is it gets shut down by att for some terms of service violation and I have to go seek something else.
RuralRogue wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:06 pm Hello Everyone!
Gonna jump right into it.

I've got a Nighthawk M1 that is currently sitting unused after I lost the $35 ipad plan last fall. (Had it running for about a year, best internet I've ever had at my location, solid ~30mbps, was going to get some external antennas... never went over 300gb/month and still lost it...)

Since losing it, I've been struggling along with much slower options, but I run a small-business from my home, and after fighting with my ISP for about a month now to get one of their towers fixed and actually get me the speed I am paying for, I've decided to look around again for another option for home internet.

Note: I have checked Tmobile/ATT/Verizon for home internet, none are available in my area. I have preordered Starlink, but not sure when I'll get that, and I can't wait that long for reliable internet.

I have good ATT signal (Speeds on my phone are pretty low, but were great in the M1), and we have good Verizon signal (Have family members with Verizon phones)

I'm not against purchasing another router/modem/etc, but right now everything seems to be out of stock, I have the M1 on hand, and I'm wondering what my options are.

From what I've gathered:
  • $20 Prepaid Ipad plan, if I can actually get it - seems to be hard to get a rep who knows what to do, and I don't really have an ATT store near me to go into. Also worried it will go the way of the $35 plan and be shut down. And seen recent reports of them starting to impose data limits or something.
  • Att Unlimited Elite - I saw someone here on the forums mention that they use this for their internet, with great success. No real configuration required. Wondering if this is an option. I don't really mind paying the $85 per month.
  • Possible Verizon option? - I would need to get my M1 Unlocked, and probably change the IMEI.... which sounds sketchy... but I may have to do that anyway with ATT moving forward.
But I feel like I must be missing something. Looking for some help from anyone who knows what I might be able to try.

One thing I saw mentioned, and can't seem to find a definitive answer on - Did ATT block/blacklist my Hotspot IMEI when they dropped me off the plan?

Thanks in advance.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

If someone is wanting to get post paid tablet plan. The best way is to just call them on the phone and have a tablet imei number ready. Ship sim to you in 48 hours. Be prepared to be say no allot. They will try to sell you stuff constantly on the phone.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

The M1 works well on Verizon also for unlimited data, not as cheap (60$)as the ATT tablet plan(35$) but it's prepaid
and is pretty fast unless you need band 13, it needs IMEI repair and the kernel needs to be patched to be on the phone plan but when done works as good as any of the novatels and gives you ethernet also.
armysarge21

Post by armysarge21 »

@Rich Hathaway - Good evening! Can you please explain how to patch kernel? Or at least point me in the direction of where I can learn how? Thanks!
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

AT&T Prepaid - 100GB / $55/mo for Hotspots, Routers & Tablets: Great Deal Plan Upgrade!

https://youtu.be/CMRJm5T-JpI
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

@armysarge21
patching a kernel is not something that is a static operation, meaning its different on most every device and I would say a fairly complicated endeavor. I do not know where to tell you to read up on it maybe xda or some of the Russian forums I am not sure maybe google around, but its nothing anyone can just tell someone how to do.

Return to “Nighthawks MR1100 - MR5200 (M1...M5...)”