Taktikal NEXQ6GO working now, wasn't, what should I do

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
QuickRch

teknikal NEXQ6GO working now, wasn't, what should I do

Post by QuickRch »

OK, let be begin by saying this is a great forum...and I did a dumb thing. Jim you are awesome. I did not follow Jim's advice and ran an AT command I had not business running. I broke the modem connection to the router so my wifi was up but not internet.

Reading through things here and resetting while swapping sim cards; Now my equipment is working again as it was before and I am back to normal. However, I want to make sure I don't break it again and have a few questions. Feel free to point me to threads if this is already been covered. I'd like to learn what I did wrong...so I am happy to read and not do this again.

I have a teknikal Router (modem Quectel EP06), on T-mobile. I have 3 'free line' sim cards that I rotate monthly to get the 50GB high speed. TMO seems to throttle a few times a day once I hit the 50G limit which is why I swap. I was getting like 4 mps...that is bad because I used to get 10+. I am on Band 2 and signal strength is about 60-65% and CSQ 19 . When things were slow I looked into forcing my modem to use 4G with an AT command. Well 12 hours later, I am re-setted back to before but I really don't know :geek: if I did the correct reset...it is just working and I am not an expert at this. I do program and use databases just not networking stuff.

Question 1: should i update my firmware? if so, is there a how to?
Question 2: One thing that I did was turn off the router, put in a different sim card, and plug it back in. This seemed to fix everything. I have work to do, so I am not going to put in the old sim card today but is it possible when I do the old card (that was working fine) could have the bad setting information on it and mess things up (i really don't know why putting a new sim card in fixed it when all three worked interchangeably and were bought at the same time).

Question 3: should I just walk quietly around my router and not every touch it again? This was suggested by several family members :lol:

If I know this thing is working, I am going to get a omni directional atenena for the roof. I can see my tower but it is several miles away (I live in a mountainous area but have line of site to my tower but it is about 2 miles away).

Any other suggests other than staying away from AT commands for like a long long time.
Didneywhorl

Re: teknikal NEXQ6GO working now, wasn't, what should I do

Post by Didneywhorl »

Hey there!

The title is confusing. Does teknikal sell the router under the name NEXQ6GO?

What command did you use?

The correct command for LTE only on the EP06A is:

Code: Select all

AT+QCFG="NWSCANMODE",3
Not sure about the SIM card issue.

I would not use an omni antenna unless you are in a valley with no idea where your signal is coming from, because it seems to come from everywhere. OR if you are a camper/RVer/trucker that is always on the move.
Otherwise directional antennas are the way.

If you have a tower that you can kinda see, even though it is far, then I would go with a pair of these: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... l-antenna/

But I LOVE this unit: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... o-antenna/
QuickRch

Post by QuickRch »

thanks I ordered one directional and one omni. I posted a question about how to set them up under antenna. Still working so I am happy.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

QuickRch wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:51 am thanks I ordered one directional and one omni. I posted a question about how to set them up under antenna. Still working so I am happy.
Still confused on the title. Does teknikal sell the router under the name NEXQ6GO, or use the firmware called NEXQ6GO?
QuickRch

Post by QuickRch »

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. teknikal sells a router like a Mofi. It has the Sim Card component and Wifi all in one little box with two 4glte antenna and two wifi antenna. I believe that the NEXQ6GO is the firmware but again, I am very new to this.
Link to the router that I don't really recommend but is the one I have. https://teknikalnetwork.com/products/ta ... 00t-cat6-1
Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:09 pm Still confused on the title. Does teknikal sell the router under the name NEXQ6GO, or use the firmware called NEXQ6GO?
toddw

Post by toddw »

I'm guessing that router has an EP06 in it because of the band support, specifically band 66 and that its listed at CAT6. There are many manufacturers reselling the 826 units, every one I got has worked with holding down the reset button, and then going into the boot menu to load WiFix.

The newer units take the Q firmware as they have the Qualcomm Atheros architecture.

One odd thing I noticed, one of the shells I ordered came with a dinky 1w power supply, I hooked up a 2.5 to it and every time I tried to flash it, it would not work, random reboots, reboot in the middle of uploading. Switched it to the 1.0a it came with, flashed it, it was happy then put the 2.0 or 2.5 accordingly from my spare parts bin and now issues following.

FYI: You can get the Kufi CAT6 for $159 off ebay, and then load whatever OS you like. Its the same router as the one you linked to.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

QuickRch wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:35 pm Sorry, I didn't answer your question. teknikal sells a router like a Mofi. It has the Sim Card component and Wifi all in one little box with two 4glte antenna and two wifi antenna. I believe that the NEXQ6GO is the firmware but again, I am very new to this.
Link to the router that I don't really recommend but is the one I have. https://teknikalnetwork.com/products/ta ... 00t-cat6-1
Can you show me a screen shot of the main status overview screen?

Return to “General and Unclassified”