Gl.inet GL-750x on T-Mobile (5G)

Stephen_21
Has thanked: 0

Gl.inet GL-750x on T-Mobile (5G)

Post by Stephen_21 »

Hello Everyone,

I have been fiddling with Internet solutions for an off grid location. I have looked at the StarLink but our site is not suited. If I ABSOLUTELY must I can take out a few trees to accommodate it but I am going to exhaust other avenues before I start felling trees.

I am currently playing with a Gl.Inet GL-750x cellular router set up on T-Mobile. Wiith the help of a Wilson booster and an antenna up in a tree I have 4-5 bars signal. I can speed test up to 50+mbps on my phone but only about 6mbps with the router. Internet access is "pokey". It will support streaming video on one TV but surfing the web is a bit painful.

Has anyone here had experience with this router?

Any thoughts on improving performance?

Any suggestion for an alternative that may perform better?

Regarding available carriers: Kinda limited here. Verizon and AT&T both offer "service" here but coverage is awful. No Sprint here. T-Mobile and Inland Cellular have usable coverage. I have switched my household over to T-Mobile a few months ago and my only gripe is that I didn't dump Verizon sooner....

Thanks

S.
Didneywhorl

Re: Gl.inet GL-750x on T-Mobile (5G)

Post by Didneywhorl »

Boosters are great for voice on your phones, but meh for data connections at best.

For purely data / internet. Ditch the booster and hook an antenna directly up to your spitz, or get a modem and router with more arse behind it. you'll still need a good antenna pair though.

thewirelesshaven.com can supply plenty, including a super dope antenna you can use: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... o-antenna/

I would recommend LMR400 cables though. email sales@thewirelesshaven.com and they can set you up.
Stephen_21

Post by Stephen_21 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:00 am Boosters are great for voice on your phones, but meh for data connections at best.

For purely data / internet. Ditch the booster and hook an antenna directly up to your spitz, or get a modem and router with more arse behind it. you'll still need a good antenna pair though.

thewirelesshaven.com can supply plenty, including a super dope antenna you can use: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... o-antenna/

I would recommend LMR400 cables though. email sales@thewirelesshaven.com and they can set you up.
Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying about booster performance on voice vs data. Ideally I would put the router in a weatherproof enclosure at the antenna minimizing feedline losses.

However, I use the booster for multiple devices and sometimes carry it with me. I have done numerous speed tests while tinkering with this. Today I can sit at my desk and run a speed test on my phone with the booster off and see 8-12mbps fairly consistently. Power up the booster and I see 30-50mbps. When running these tests my phone is within a foot of the 750x router.

That tells me that in my current configuration the booster, while not ideal, does markedly improve my data speeds.
Stephen_21

Post by Stephen_21 »

Now to get the router to achieve similar speeds....
DogTho

Post by DogTho »

Just for reference. I have a MoFi sim7 locked to B4 TMob. Tower is 7 miles away, pretty much LOS. LTE signal -101 to -108 depending on time of day/wx. Download speeds of at least 20Mb/s sometimes 40 Mbps. This is LTE, what's with 5G? I have a 9dB panel antenna above the roof on 2x50' LMR400 to the MoFi, no booster. And if I lock to B71, I get a solid 15Mbps.
Stephen_21

Post by Stephen_21 »

DogTho wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:48 pm Just for reference. I have a MoFi sim7 locked to B4 TMob. Tower is 7 miles away, pretty much LOS. LTE signal -101 to -108 depending on time of day/wx. Download speeds of at least 20Mb/s sometimes 40 Mbps. This is LTE, what's with 5G? I have a 9dB panel antenna above the roof on 2x50' LMR400 to the MoFi, no booster. And if I lock to B71, I get a solid 15Mbps.
The worst signal I get is -102 when the booster is turned off. In that state, I get less than 1/2 the speed you do.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I'm curious how your testing, and whether you are apples to apples with bands and towers and equipment.

I love when things work out as simply as possible.

Are you saying you are connected to the Spitz via wifi to your phone, and those are the speed tests with and without the booster? Have you tried hooking the booster antenna directly to the spitz modem? (Only if the booster uses 50Ohm cables that aren't crazy long)

Or are you saying your phone using the booster vs the spitz without?

are you certain your Spitz is connecting to the same tower with the booster off as it is with the booster on? is it using the exact same band(s)?

Are you using the Spitz with the EC25AF or the one with the EP06A?

Return to “GL.iNet”