IP Passthrough / Bridge Mode

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
zemsten
Been thanked: 0

IP Passthrough / Bridge Mode

Post by zemsten »

Hey all,

I'm running an EM12 modem in my WG3526, currently in MBIM mode, on T-Mobile. So far it's working pretty well. I have it setup so that iptables allows all traffic from anywhere to my OPNSense firewall/router downstream. It's the only client.

I'm getting both ipv4 and ipv6 leases from the ISP. So far I haven't figured out how to eliminate this extra layer of NAT though. Ideally I'd like to just make the modem transparent and have OPNSense handle everything at the network edge. Is there any way of putting this thing into bridge mode or IP passthrough?

If not, does anyone know how to pass the /64 ipv6 delegation through to a "client?" I can't seem to find any real DHCPv6 settings.
Didneywhorl

Re: IP Passthrough / Bridge Mode

Post by Didneywhorl »

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49

I'm not sure its possible with openWRT based firmwares. Maybe the latest kernels it is? Dunno.
zemsten

Post by zemsten »

Ahh, bummer. I didn't see that topic before, but it is what I've effectively done with my v4 settings. Oh well.

That doesn't solve the v6 issue though. I'm getting an entire /64, and ideally i'd like to pass that on to my OPNsense router to distribute, or at least a portion of it... Any idea on that?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

zemsten wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:08 am Ahh, bummer. I didn't see that topic before, but it is what I've effectively done with my v4 settings. Oh well.

That doesn't solve the v6 issue though. I'm getting an entire /64, and ideally i'd like to pass that on to my OPNsense router to distribute, or at least a portion of it... Any idea on that?
Sorry for the late reply, been wayyyyyy behind.

No sorry, I'm 100% IPV6 illiterate. Add it to my list, lol.
zemsten

Post by zemsten »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:58 pm Sorry for the late reply, been wayyyyyy behind.

No sorry, I'm 100% IPV6 illiterate. Add it to my list, lol.
Hey no worries there. i'm certainly a lot weaker on it than v4 too -- otherwise i probably would've figured out how to pass that delegation on down to OPNSense! Haha. Right now I'm just making v4 only work.

Return to “Firmware”