Antenna choices?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
dagnuten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Antenna choices?

Post by dagnuten »

Hello all, been doing a lot of reading on everything LTE for our camper-in-the-woods setup. I’m working with a WE826-GO/MC7455...not the best, but not the worst. I’ve got it set up with ATT post paid plan and all that works now. Thanks for all the info!

Now on to antennas... according to the airlink website, my tower is 3.26 miles away but no line of sight. Only one hill in the way but I would need 40’ to get over it (without trees so add another 20ish feet...) that won’t happen!

As it stands, I can get 6ish down and 4ish up speeds but they are hit and miss... Usually 2 down and 1 or less up. I believe that is on band 12. Since we are not there right now, I can’t test. I know just moving everything outside will boost speeds. Again, that is all on the little antennas that come with it.

So, this is what I am thinking after reading the last few pages of posts in this topic :geek:

A pair of yagi. They are fairly cheap but mostly used in LOS applications and probably not my best option considering the above.

Anything Omni... I’m not really thinking this will help much. Am I wrong?

A pair of ~8db (or more, I saw some 11 dbi) flat panel directional. Point them toward the tower and see what happens.

A MIMO directional. Kinda liking this idea, one to point and done.

Can probably get it a good 20 ft in the air without too many issues, whatever “it” ends up being.

What would you do? And why?
toddw

Re: Antenna choices?

Post by toddw »

I would go with a 2xMIMO Panel, I use the ones that RSRF sells because they support Band 71. I like the panels because they are more forgiving when the leaves come in, and easier to aim than the yagis. I'm also a fan of the Bolton 26db parabolic, but it was a bit of a PITA to align, but its up there now for my Tmo router.

I have tested the The Wireless Haven yagis, they work great, priced very well. But the panel is my "go to".
dagnuten
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by dagnuten »

toddw wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:45 pm more forgiving when the leaves come in
This is a concern of mine!

Seems pretty cost efficient and easy to set up and take down if needed for moving a camper :D
toddw

Post by toddw »

That's the exact model I use. I'm hoping The Wireless Haven will have a b71 capable panel in soon so I can try it.

Return to “Questions and Support”