T-mobile home internet - external antennas

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
LifesaGlitch0
Been thanked: 0

T-mobile home internet - external antennas

Post by LifesaGlitch0 »

Can anyone recommend a good external antenna for tmobile home internet?
It would work with the newest upgraded provider's router. Probably utilizing a indoor panel repeater or something along those lines.

I get 2 bars on n71, but would love to get 4 bars.

Also any recommendations on a booster that could pair with it, if needed?

Thank you :)
Didneywhorl

Re: T-mobile home internet - external antennas

Post by Didneywhorl »

You'll have to get 4 of these: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/pigtail- ... ail-cable/

Then I recommend this bad boy: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... onnectors/

....and 2 of these between: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/antenna- ... -straight/

No need for a booster with this. You'll need to open the routers case to get to the antenna connectors for the above antenna pigtails.
LifesaGlitch0

Post by LifesaGlitch0 »

Wow...thanks for the information!
Not sure about opening up the case and trying to connect those pigtails, etc. Don't even know where to start with that.

The antenna you specified, the 5g signal on the t-mobile home internet uses n71, which is 600MHz. That antenna you mentioned doesn't show it goes below 700MHz. Just confirming here...is it compatible?

Didn't think the t-mobile had external antenna connections. Do you have this router with this set up working?
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

See You Tube for clues

1 Month Review T-Mobile 5G Home Internet - Pro and Cons - Speed Tests - Issues - Streaming - Gaming

https://youtu.be/RQ1yQgTNz38
https://youtu.be/FiRc2o0zydQ
LifesaGlitch0

Post by LifesaGlitch0 »

Thank you for the hints! I'll have to hunt down that FB page that's referenced.

I wonder if things will snap into place or there is soldering involved with the external pigtails....
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

LifesaGlitch0

Post by LifesaGlitch0 »

Thanks Matt! Very helpful!
LifesaGlitch0

Post by LifesaGlitch0 »

@Didneywhorl and @MattB29.

I'm trying to distinguish between the two antenna systems that are being recommended for this 5g T-mobile gateway.

For example, the first recommendation shows 4 pigtail like connections and the second solution by Matt shows only 2 pigtail type connections. Although maybe I'm understanding it all wrong here too, unsure I guess. In addition, the first antenna by Didney has 4 connections at the actual base of the external antenna. Matt's has only 2. Just a beginner here, so you can probably tell I'm confused easily about this.

Thanks for any feedback.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

If you read through the discussion at the link I gave you will see them talk about the antenna connection choices on the Gateway. I have the Nokia on order and it is due sometime around the end of this month. Since I live in a rather poor reception area I will be seeing how it all works out.

I will be very reluctant to play with it though since the $370 price of the device if not returned intact limits me. So I hope its internal antenna array will give me a reasonable working internet connection. I might place the gateway outside in a weatherproof enclosure if indoors is a no go. For my purposes even a few mb down and up, if stable, is an upgrade.

Having played around for years now with various setups to get cellular internet I know of no magic.
LifesaGlitch0

Post by LifesaGlitch0 »

I agree Matt. That is a tough decision given the charge for altering it. Maybe they cannot tell if you opened it up or not, that's the million dollar question. I'm sure anyone that does would do it with absolute care and without harming it's functionality. Maybe someone has gone through this experience already. We'll have to stay tuned to this topic.

In that post, maybe there are two more connections on the other side of the gateway inside and they just didn't show them in the photo. It's all very interesting.
LifesaGlitch0

Post by LifesaGlitch0 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:21 pm You'll have to get 4 of these: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/pigtail- ... ail-cable/

Then I recommend this bad boy: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... onnectors/

....and 2 of these between: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/antenna- ... -straight/

No need for a booster with this. You'll need to open the routers case to get to the antenna connectors for the above antenna pigtails.

As an alternative to hooking up the pigtails to the modem connections inside the gateway, could you use a interior panel repeater to point at the t-mobile device and improve the signal that way? Hook the panel up to the end of the antenna cable runs.

If so, which panel repeater would you use?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Panel repeater? Are you talking about a cellular 'booster'?
LifesaGlitch0

Post by LifesaGlitch0 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:53 pm Panel repeater? Are you talking about a cellular 'booster'?
Ahh yes, sorry my mistake on describing it. Just don't know all the tech lingo yet.
A cellular booster with the interior panel repeater. :-)
LifesaGlitch0

Post by LifesaGlitch0 »

LifesaGlitch0 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 pm Ahh yes, sorry my mistake on describing it. Just don't know all the tech lingo yet.
A cellular booster with the interior panel repeater. :-)
Any suggestions on this one? I'm thinking there has to be a good booster out there for this set up. One that can bring in the n71 band on t-mobile's network.
Osensnolf
Has thanked: 0

Post by Osensnolf »

I see no way that T-Mobile would know that the device has been opened. There are no seals or springs or booby traps. (At this point I have only taken it apart, not put it back together.)
Osensnolf

Post by Osensnolf »

Is there a 4x4 MIMO antenna that supports the T-Mobile 4G and 5G bands? The one recommend above does not appear to support 600Mhz as someone pointed out. Suggestions?
scuba_steve999

Post by scuba_steve999 »

Osensnolf wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:02 am Is there a 4x4 MIMO antenna that supports the T-Mobile 4G and 5G bands? The one recommend above does not appear to support 600Mhz as someone pointed out. Suggestions?
Can anyone recommend a good antenna with 600mhz in range that can be hooked up with the TMobile gateway?
chriscm5

Post by chriscm5 »

I found this amazing video explaining MIMO and antenna placement. Rather than getting a single 4x4 MIMO antenna, it's actually better and cheaper to get two 2x2 MIMO antennas and place them 3-6 feet apart. This allows the antennas to get better decorrelated signals (different signal paths from the tower, including reflections off the ground and buildings). MIMO then combines these separate signals to infer better signal quality. https://youtu.be/IO_KGrrWoAI

Return to “Cellular Antennas”