MoFi paddle compared to cheap LPDA

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
DogTho
Has thanked: 0

MoFi paddle compared to cheap LPDA

Post by DogTho »

I got a cheap $40 LPDA from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089V ... UTF8&psc=1

I had the 2 paddles that came with the MoFi up above the roof peak about 6' with 2 50' pieces of LMR400. I took the primary paddle off and replaced it with the LPDA vertically. Signal strength went from -113dBm to -106. Download speeds went from 15-20+ to a solid 40Mbps. Tower is 7 miles away LOS but through about 200 yds of oak trees, of course leaves are off the trees at the moment. We will see what happens in the spring. Band 4, 20MHz wide. I could still get the antenna up another 5-8', but at 77 years old, I don't like messing around on the edge of the roof. I may have to get the pole off and work on it then put it back up with some help. At least the roof is only 4/12 there but it's a long way down to the ground.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: MoFi paddle compared to cheap LPDA

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

With 50FT of cable you will have signal loss in the cable even with LMR-400! Would stay off the roof!!
Get a good panel with SMA connectors.
Stay under 10FT of cable

Here is an example. Would need more information to pick the correct antenna for your needs
https://poyntdev.wpengine.com/antennas/xpol-2-5g/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

LPDA vertical? Like pointed at the sky? That would be the worst way to use it I would think, since its a directional antenna. Could be interesting to test though.
DogTho
Has thanked: 0

Post by DogTho »

I don't know what LPDA means to you, but to me it's 'Log Periodic Dipole Array'. Pointed at the sky? Not sure where you got that, but I pointed it at the tower, actually both of them.

And I also have a MiMopanel up about 10' above the roof line, it's about equivalent to the LPDA antennas. If I use the MoFi in the room with no LMR400 on it, I get about -115 or worse signal strength. Now with 50' of LMR400 and I get between -110 and mostly -105, that's a no brainer. With no LMR I get 1-10Mbps down and with the panel or LPDA and the 2 50' pieces of LMR I get at least 20 and sometimes consistent 30 with peaks of 50Mbps. That's a no brainer too.

What's the deal?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

DogTho wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:34 am ... I took the primary paddle off and replaced it with the LPDA vertically. ....
I mistook that as you saying you mounted the LPDA 'vertically' like pointed at the sky. You meant the "blade" of the LPDA was up and down, but the antenna was pointed at the tower. I get ded brained sometimes. ;)

Return to “Cellular Antennas”