New to LTE, MOFI 4500 setup?

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
JDL82
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New to LTE, MOFI 4500 setup?

Post by JDL82 »

Hello,

I just moved to a rural area where the only availability for internet options at the moment are Satellite (not Starlink) or DSL/10 down. Local providers are looking at running high speed out this way, but that's if and when. I'm not very open to being locked into a two year contract for knowingly bad internet so I was thrilled when I found out about this site. I've studied quite a bit and wanted to ask some questions about setup before I continue to make purchases. I already bought a MOFI 4500 7 Sim, which I now understand I could have bought a better router. The plan is once a 5G tower is available I'll upgrade. Anyhow, I've been looking at antennas and thought this would be a winner https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/cellul ... onnectors/ . I am quite a way from a cell tower and trees will be in the path. During speed test on my cell phone I get one bar sometimes, and in the sweet spot I get 1.77 down. I'm also curious about connectors and getting connection to the router. Can I run a Coax from the antenna to the satellite connection outside the RV, then connect the MOFI to the Coax connection in the RV? Any input or questions about my "setup" would be appreciated.
Didneywhorl

Re: New to LTE, MOFI 4500 setup?

Post by Didneywhorl »

You could do better than the MOFI as you've admitted :)

With the MOFI you only have 2x2 MIMO to work with, so this one would work best and be less money: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/wifi-a ... o-antenna/

Normal coax is higher ohm rating (75Ohm) and will not work for these devices, that use 50Ohm cabling.

This cable should work perfect for you with the above antenna and your MOFI: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/antenna- ... angle-old/

That's it. Simple :) Except figuring out how to run your cables and mounting the antenna of course.
DogTho

Post by DogTho »

I too have a MoFi sim7. It's working for me. TMob with an MVNO, he first locked me to B71 because he thought I was 14 miles from the tower. Turns out the tower is 7 miles and 180° the other way. It is LOS but through about 200yds of local trees, past that it's a clear shot. Since I got the plan, Aug 2020, TMob has added B4 and it's 20MHz wide. I went from 1-10Mbps to consistently 17-25Mbps. I lock it on B4. Right now I'm using the MoFi paddles on 50' of LMR400 just above the roof peak. I have a cheap LPDA coming this week, but the wx is turning bad so it may be a while to get it up. When I get to compare the paddles with the LPDA I'll report on any difference.

As far as that LMR200, I wouldn't use it for much more than jumpers. I have a lot of RG11, which is 75Ω, but one of these days I'm going to switch out the LMR400 with the RG11 to see if it is actually any different. A 1.5:1 SWR is not that significant and the loss between the LMR and RG11 is insignificant.

Other thing to do is put the MoFi next to the antennas with very short runs and run the cat5 cable down to your inside router. That means a WX proof box for the MoFI and inability to see the LED's.

I'm sort of thinking the speeds we get are more dependent on what the tower will give. My tower is on a very rural space between Flint Hill and Front Royal VA on Chester Gap so I doubt there's much loading on it. If it were in Warrenton, it might be worse. Or in DC.
JDL82
Been thanked: 0

Post by JDL82 »

Hey another question. Would it be better to go with a 2x2 MIMO for the MOFI or two Yagis with a higher db?

Thank you,
Jason
DogTho

Post by DogTho »

Since my last post, couple things. My provider gave me a WiFiX NEXQ6GO with the EM06a modem. Plus the cheap LP came and I installed it. Plus the provider gave me a mimo panel to try.

First the single $40 LP from Amazon on the primary port and the MoFi paddle on the secondary port, both above the roof about 8' on 50' of LMR400. My B4 signal went from -115 or so to -103. That's significant. Download speeds went from 15-20 to almost consistently over 20 and sometimes 30+, I've seen 50 sometimes. B71 is a solid 15Mb. This is with the MoFi sim7.

Next the mimo panel changed out for the LP and paddle. I think the signal went down a bit, I get peaks of -103 where with the LP I was getting peaks of -100 I think I remember seeing one at -97. All with the MoFi sim7.

Next I swapped out the MoFi sim7 with the WiFiX. Programmed it for carrier aggregation. To tell the truth, I think the MoFi sim7 is faster than the WiFix with the EM06 but the difference is minimal.

My take:
The single LP is as good as the panel, and maybe 2 LP antennas would be better, I'll try that when the WX co-operates at least on B4 or 66, they are both 20MHz wide here. B71 on the MoFi is a great fallback, I get good solid 15Mb and the signal is stronger around -100 but it's only 10MHz wide. The EM06 does not support B71. And I haven't seen that CA does all that much. Maybe if I was closer or had stronger signals.

For rural areas, I think you just need to try it, but for me 20Mbps down is plenty good. I was hoping for maybe 10-15 and now sometimes I see 30. But the leaves are off the trees. Spring will tell.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”