wg1608 + quectel em12 + att sim

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
aenionrex

wg1608 + quectel em12 + att sim

Post by aenionrex »

Hello all

I am having problems getting my rig up to speed. I am using the equipment in the title and the wg1608-2021-01-06 image of goldenorb. I am using "phone" in the apn; "broadband" doesn't work, and "nextgenphone" gives the same results as "phone". My ttl value is 65.

I am only able to get 10 mbps down and 1 up. Other people I know have been getting 60-100 down and ~20 up. I am not sure where I am going wrong.

I have read recent posts that some router/modems are getting stuck on 3g. I'm not sure that's my issue. But I can't find clear instructions on how to check if my rig is using 3g or 4g.

Thanks in advance
Didneywhorl

Re: wg1608 + quectel em12 + att sim

Post by Didneywhorl »

What plan is the SIM activated to?
aenionrex

Post by aenionrex »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:03 pm What plan is the SIM activated to?
I took the sim out of a phone issued to me by my company, so an ATT corporate plan. Because of covid I have been working remotely, and haven't had a truly stable and worthwhile internet connection. I was hoping my company's sim would allow me to have that without added expense to myself such as ordering a new line, or new device, etc.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Two ways of seeing your connection. You can go to Modem>Network Status>Signal information or you can go to Modem>Miscellaneous and give the AT command: AT!GSTATUS?

Also in Miscellaneous there is Cellular Mode where you can select 4G only.
aenionrex

Post by aenionrex »

MattB29 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:30 am Two ways of seeing your connection. You can go to Modem>Network Status>Signal information or you can go to Modem>Miscellaneous and give the AT command: AT!GSTATUS?

Also in Miscellaneous there is Cellular Mode where you can select 4G only.
Thanks for this. I issued the command "AT!GSTATUS?" and got an error message. Is that bad? I'm not sure what it means. As you can probably tell, I'm groping in the dark a bit here.

I changed the cellular mode to 4g only and did see an improvement downstream but not upstream. Upstream remained at 1 mbps. Even the downstream improvement, at its strongest, is about half of what other people are getting though. I'm not quite sure what to look at next for a fix to this.

Addendum: There are other times that my down stream speed is no better than it was, even on 4g
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

So what does your network status> signal information say? As it is, without knowing your signal information, it is impossible to give any advice other than I would wonder about your APN and why you get errors over AT commands.
aenionrex

Post by aenionrex »

MattB29 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:21 am So what does your network status> signal information say? As it is, without knowing your signal information, it is impossible to give any advice other than I would wonder about your APN and why you get errors over AT commands.
Apologies. Here we are.
Network Status - LuCI.png
I am using an antenna with this. What I'm currently doing is playing with the positioning of the antenna to see if I can pick up anything better than what I'm getting.

The error on at commands does concern me. When I give the command it just echos the command in the terminal and says "error". Not a lot to go on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Quectel AT commands are different than the Sierra and what I gave you might not work with it. You can get the entire AT command set from: https://www.quectel.com/UploadImage/Dow ... l_V1.0.pdf

Maybe someone else can give you better advice on which would be the best to use.

Does look like you are connected LTE based on your results posted.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Your pic shows your on LTE. To make the modem stay in LTE issue the command

Code: Select all

AT+QCFG="NWSCANMODE",3
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Your cell tower may be different than 'others' can you get better speeds with a cell phone in the same location using ATT? Your tower may be congested, or the em12 may be sticking to a band that is saturated, even though it may be the strongest signal.
aenionrex

Post by aenionrex »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:04 pm Your cell tower may be different than 'others' can you get better speeds with a cell phone in the same location using ATT? Your tower may be congested, or the em12 may be sticking to a band that is saturated, even though it may be the strongest signal.
Thanks for the direction to head in!

I am using cellmapper to figure out whats going on in my area. I found a thread talking about how to program the band and another thread with a quectel specific spreadsheet.

Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this

Return to “General and Unclassified”