Question concerning using an ethernet switch.

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
MattB29

Question concerning using an ethernet switch.

Post by MattB29 »

I have on order a T-Mobile Nokia gateway for home internet. Reading up on it's specs it has only 2 ethernet connections to work with and it does not have a bridge mode for plugging in another router. I would like to have more wired connections since I am not a fan of wireless so I am attempting to see what can be done.

I see that there are ethernet switches that can give additional ethernet hookups but the one thing I do not know is if this is something that would work with the Nokia Gateway. Is there a problem with picking up a 5 port switch and simply plugging it into the Nokia and than plugging in 4 additional items like computers, TV, etc? I know that simply putting another router inline is a no no due to what they call double NAT (although I am fuzzy about why.

At any rate any feedback would be appreciated.
MattB29

Re: Question concerning using an ethernet switch.

Post by MattB29 »

OK, after searching the 'net around this question of switch to router to give more ethernet connections it sounds like it will work. From what I can garner the Gateway will still assign separate DHCP IP addresses to each item connected to the switch. Now for a normal modem that was not a router it would be a problem to have the switch after it.

So I guess I answered my own question here. :)
Didneywhorl

Re: Question concerning using an ethernet switch.

Post by Didneywhorl »

I think you got it. Likely an unmanaged switch would be the simplest.

Return to “General and Unclassified”