Easy SIM Swapping

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Jon_T

Easy SIM Swapping

Post by Jon_T »

I just finished building my new setup thanks to this fantastic community!

I went with the EM12-G and WG3526. I put everything together and realized it wasn't reading my SIM card. After some reading, I realized I needed to put the SIM in the M2 adaptor and not the SIM slot on the router itself. Got everything working after that was sorted out.

My issue is having to put the SIM in the adaptor inside the router. We travel full time which often requires switching to different carriers depending on what's available in the area. Taking the router apart to switch the SIM cards is both unappealing, and seems like a good way to put unnecessary wear and tear on the internal compentnats.

What would be a good setup to make SIM swapping easier? I just spent more than I was expecting on this new setup so I would also like to keep it on the cheap side if possible :D . I take full responsibility for not reading about having to use the adapter SIM card slot, but the EM12-G seemed to come pretty highly recommended.
Didneywhorl

Re: Easy SIM Swapping

Post by Didneywhorl »

If you are using the internal mini-PCIE to M.2 adapter like this one: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/mini-p ... card-slot/

Then you shouldn't need to use it, the traces off of it parallel the ones on the WG3526 board. You may need to ensure the SIM is getting a good solid seat in the slot. Clicked in and maybe even gently push the cover of the SIM slot down to ensure its pushing the SIM card onto the SIM pins. BE SUPER CAREFUL that you dont damage the SIM slot pins. It happens. Also ensure the SIM card is super flush with any adapters you may be using. Sometimes a super thin piece of tape on the back of the SIM/adapter helps.
Jon_T

Re: Easy SIM Swapping

Post by Jon_T »

It worked!

Not sure what I did wrong the first time but it’s working in the router SIM slot now.

Thanks!

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”