ATT USB Tethering Using Hotspot Data

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Diamianos
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ATT USB Tethering Using Hotspot Data

Post by Diamianos »

Hey everyone, just wanted to first and foremost thank you guys for all your help in the forums, it has been tremendously helpful. I'm having a little trouble with my setup using the Hotspot data on my ATT plan and was wondering if you guys could see anything I'm doing wrong? I've basically followed BillA's guide for this set up so not sure if i'm missing something. Here is my current set up

I have a WiFix-NEXQ6G0 that I purchased from The Wireless Haven without a modem inside running firmware version GoldenOrb_2020-05-16. I use my spare Samsung Galaxy S9+ with an activated SIM card from AT&T with the Business Unlimited Elite plan USB tethered to the router. I have the APN set on the router to what it is showing on the phone (nxtgenphone). I went into Network > Firewall > Custom TTL Settings and made sure that box was NOT enabled per BillA's guide. After that I went to Network > Firewall > Custom Rules and put the following rules:

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65

I have tried both TTL 64 and 65.

I also went to Network > Interfaces > LAN and set the custom DNS to 8.8.8.8 and additionally 9.9.9.9

After all of this, it is still using the Hotspot Data on my plan for anything that is going through the router. Is there something I'm missing or that I have not done quite right? Any help would be appreciated.
Didneywhorl

Re: ATT USB Tethering Using Hotspot Data

Post by Didneywhorl »

Just a quick chime in, try the latest firmware: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yy9S_F ... sp=sharing

Hopefully BillA can chime in on the proper phone settings. The phone itself may be using a different APN for the phone tether. You may want to manually set the APN in your phone to its normal on phone data APN. NEXGENPHONE maybe? I cant recall right now
Diamianos

Post by Diamianos »

Hey Didney thanks for the reply. I will try updating the firmware later today when I am off the internet from work.

My phone is using the apn "nxtgenphone" according to the settings and that is what I set in the router also. Hopefully its something easy that I am missing. I did update the Custom rules in the firewall to only be:

As that is what BillA put in his guide. I didnt try TTL 117 as it seems that is used for verizon. Only tried 64 and 65 which seems to be the main ATT TTL's so wonder if there is another one worth trying.
Diamianos

Post by Diamianos »

I did update the firmware but unfortunately still using the Hotspot data.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Diamianos wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:56 am Hey Didney thanks for the reply. I will try updating the firmware later today when I am off the internet from work.

My phone is using the apn "nxtgenphone" according to the settings and that is what I set in the router also. Hopefully its something easy that I am missing. I did update the Custom rules in the firewall to only be:

As that is what BillA put in his guide. I didnt try TTL 117 as it seems that is used for verizon. Only tried 64 and 65 which seems to be the main ATT TTL's so wonder if there is another one worth trying.
hmmmm.

Where's Bill when you need him :)
BillA wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:05 pm Still trading GME?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Diamianos wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:29 pm After all of this, it is still using the Hotspot Data on my plan for anything that is going through the router. Is there something I'm missing or that I have not done quite right? Any help would be appreciated.

You should be able to bypass the hotspot limit using the proper TTL settings, however you won't be able to bypass the regular monthly data limit which is hard set by the your carrier's plan. The only way to bypass it is by upgrading to a totally unlimited plan even if it has a limited hotspot which doesn't matter.
If you have the proper TTL set, yet it's still using hotspot data, then most likely you have the wrong "device name" in the TTL rules. Fore example:
"usb0" is the default for internal the modem, but may be different for a tethered phone.
You can find the correct device name by looking under Status > System Log > press Ctrl-F enter "modem" (without the quotes).
By the way, I have updated the original post with some more details, including IPv4/6 TTL rules, and APN settings on the phone, so you may want to give it another try.
viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:53 pm hmmmm.

Where's Bill when you need him :)

Ha! Back from moths of hiatus ... crypto trading is too addicting. lol

Return to “General and Unclassified”