Is the Orbi LBR20 4x4 MIMO?

Information related to Orbi routers
Forum rules
Use the search function prior to posting a topic on a subject that already exists
Gregbyst
Been thanked: 0

Is the Orbi LBR20 4x4 MIMO?

Post by Gregbyst »

Hello,

I am looking at the Netgear Orbi LBR20 since it is on sale currently on Amazon and have some questions about it:

Is this router able to do 4x4 MIMO by taking off the enclosure and wiring it inside somehow?

IF yes, has anyone done it and made a tutorial or something?

Also, can this router use a VPN? (I only want a VPN to increase speeds while using Visible)

I'm not clear on how VPN's work within a router, is there a thread that explains that?

I understand that using a VPN a certain way can slow speeds, and that other ways are faster...

I've attached a screenshot of an email that my current VPN service Torguard sent to me regarding VPN with this router.

Is it necessary that I use a router that can be a "Open VPN Client" ? Will I see slower speeds if I use it as an "Open VPN Server"? I dont understand the difference.

Thank you in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricW76
Has thanked: 0

Re: Is the Orbi LBR20 4x4 MIMO?

Post by EricW76 »

Hi Greg,

I just purchased this router and did some research on it before pulling the trigger. The LBR20 has a 4x4 MIMO Cat 18 4G LTE modem and includes 2 external SMA connectors for 2x2 MIMO. Not sure if it deactivates the other 2 internal antennas or not when using external. I'll have to experiment with placement.

I found this very helpful teardown online:
https://fccid.io/PY319400468/Internal-P ... os-4708046

It does appear that you can pop the cover off and use some adapter cables to attach additional external antennas in place of the tiny internal antennas but likely voids warranty of course. It looks like the cellular antenna connectors are the ones surrounding the Quectel EG-18 modem chip.

In my situation I was using a RUT240 Cat 4 modem with an external 2x2 MIMO panel antenna and getting around 20Mb D/L, 10Mb U/L with AT&T. After upgrading to the LBR20 My speeds have increased to 90/20 but only by using the same 2x2 MIMO external panel. (haven't tried going 4x4 yet)

Main draw back to this router is admin is by an app and they've dumbed it down almost completely. There really aren't any advanced controls like you'd have in other routers. Luckily, in my case at least, it just seems to work.

For VPN I'm looking at pairing this up with a GL-iNet GL-MV1000 and using wireguard or OpenVPN.

Good luck!
hazarjast

Post by hazarjast »

EricW76 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:48 pm Hi Greg,

I just purchased this router and did some research on it before pulling the trigger. The LBR20 has a 4x4 MIMO Cat 18 4G LTE modem and includes 2 external SMA connectors for 2x2 MIMO. Not sure if it deactivates the other 2 internal antennas or not when using external. I'll have to experiment with placement.

I found this very helpful teardown online:
https://fccid.io/PY319400468/Internal-P ... os-4708046

It does appear that you can pop the cover off and use some adapter cables to attach additional external antennas in place of the tiny internal antennas but likely voids warranty of course. It looks like the cellular antenna connectors are the ones surrounding the Quectel EG-18 modem chip.

In my situation I was using a RUT240 Cat 4 modem with an external 2x2 MIMO panel antenna and getting around 20Mb D/L, 10Mb U/L with AT&T. After upgrading to the LBR20 My speeds have increased to 90/20 but only by using the same 2x2 MIMO external panel. (haven't tried going 4x4 yet)

Main draw back to this router is admin is by an app and they've dumbed it down almost completely. There really aren't any advanced controls like you'd have in other routers. Luckily, in my case at least, it just seems to work.

For VPN I'm looking at pairing this up with a GL-iNet GL-MV1000 and using wireguard or OpenVPN.

Good luck!
LBR20 is perfectly serviceable via web browser as well, do not have to use the app but you are correct in that stock firmware is very basic. If you wish to use a VPN client directly on the LBR20 you can flash Voxel's firmware to it. More details here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1876
Mikeyr
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mikeyr »

I bought my Orbi LBR20 from The Wireless Haven, LTE Fix. I added both of the available modifications. First they installed Voxel firmware and second they installed 4 SMA external antenna ports to accomodate my 4x4 MINO antenna. Their techs did a great job...
ScopesNC

Post by ScopesNC »

So your saying Netgear did the modification to your router to make it a 4 x 4 mimo or did someone else do it for a fee and if so how much?
TNdave88

Post by TNdave88 »

ScopesNC wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:00 pm So your saying Netgear did the modification to your router to make it a 4 x 4 mimo or did someone else do it for a fee and if so how much?
No Netgear won't do that, the Wireless Haven is a website offering upgraded routers and such. They offer some with custom firmware (i.e. Voxel in this case) and will install the other external sma antenna connections. Honestly, it's not hard to do either. The firmware flash is super simple, but could understand not wanting to open up a modem/router to install different antenna pigtails if you aren't used to doing it. I currently run the LBR20 with 4 N-Female pigtail connections hooked to 4 grid parabolic antennas and am pretty happy for the most part. (I live in an extremely remote area, in a valley. Was getting MAYBE 2-6 mb DL/UL prior with a nighthawk mr1100, and now I get around 50-60ish mb DL / 9-13ish UL with the Orbi and external antenna array. Just my 2 cents. YMMV. Check out the LTE Hacks FB group for more info, lots of very knowledgeable people on there. (the name may have changed recently, I can't remember... 5GHacks???)
ScopesNC

Post by ScopesNC »

Thanks
undyingshadow
Been thanked: 0

Post by undyingshadow »

Gregbyst wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:24 am Hello,

I am looking at the Netgear Orbi LBR20 since it is on sale currently on Amazon and have some questions about it:

Is this router able to do 4x4 MIMO by taking off the enclosure and wiring it inside somehow?

IF yes, has anyone done it and made a tutorial or something?

Also, can this router use a VPN? (I only want a VPN to increase speeds while using Visible)

I'm not clear on how VPN's work within a router, is there a thread that explains that?

I understand that using a VPN a certain way can slow speeds, and that other ways are faster...

I've attached a screenshot of an email that my current VPN service Torguard sent to me regarding VPN with this router.

Is it necessary that I use a router that can be a "Open VPN Client" ? Will I see slower speeds if I use it as an "Open VPN Server"? I dont understand the difference.

Thank you in advance!
Open VPN Server is completely different and will not allow you to connect to a 3rd party VPN service. Open VPN server would be if you wanted to connect to your home router via VPN, for example a laptop or phone. It won't do what you want.

You can flash Voxel for both OpenVPN and Wireguard clients, but to configure them requires SSHing into the command line. If you're not comfortable with that, you might be better served with something more plug & play like the Cudy LT18 from LTEFIX.

Return to “Orbi”