First Build, Mofi replacement, Budget $500(ish)

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
BDF1234

First Build, Mofi replacement, Budget $500(ish)

Post by BDF1234 »

Hi – New member here looking for some guidance. Sorry for the long post. If you are willing to read it, then you have my sincere thanks!

I just discovered this awesome site and wish I had known about it 12 months ago when we moved to the country. I am looking to assemble my first build, but would like some advice before purchasing. I’m still learning, so please correct any bad assumptions I have made.

Goals:
• Improve my DL and UL speeds as much as possible within a budget of roughly $500 (not including the antenna upgrades I will make).
• This must be a very STABLE and RELIABLE connection, as my wife works from home full time, and I work from home a couple of days a week.
• I am not a “tech” guy, but with a little guidance and research I can get things done. Having the support from The Wireless Haven is very valuable to me, which is why I want to buy as much as possible from them. I don’t want to be totally out there on my own.
• I need LTE Bands 2, 4, 12, 13, 14 & 66 to allow flexibility in switching carriers (between AT&T and Verizon for this area).

Current setup:
• Mofi 4500 Sim 7 (Cat 4 modem, no CA). I upgrade the firmware once a month, from their website.
• AT&T sim card through Infinite LTE for $90/mo. (service has been great so far).
• Typical DL speeds are between 5 and 20 Mbps, with the low end being at peak times.
• Band lock on B12 (no CA, 10 MHz up and down).
• I have been testing a directional Panel Antenna (in my attic for now). I bought it from wavefarm (2x2 MIMO, +10 db, LMR 400 cables).
o This improves B12 reception from -94 to -80 dBm (RSRP) and roughly doubles my DL speeds.
o It also provides access to B2 (15 MHz up and down) at around -105 dBm, which is not strong enough to beat the speeds on B12, but I think it could be a secondary band for CA.
o I just haven’t gotten around to the permanent install yet.
• I plan to purchase another 2x2 panel antenna to implement 4x4 MIMO on a more advanced modem as a part of this build. Any input on setting that up is also appreciated.

Build Options currently considered:
Modem selection is probably the Quectel EM160R-GL from The Wireless Haven. This seems to be the highest performing modem they sell. I don’t think 5G is within my budget, plus it is not yet available in the Central VA countryside. It will probably be at least a couple of years, but I don’t really know.

Option 1:
Modem = EM160R in a USB 3.0 Enclosure/adapter
Router = WG3526-P

Connect the modem to the USB port on the WG3526 to avoid bottlenecking caused by MiniPCI-E to M.2 converter (my understanding is you are limited to CAT12 performance, meanwhile I’m buying a CAT 16 modem).

This would have the added benefit of allowing me to run a 65 ft USB cable from the attic to 1st floor to keep the router in my living space instead of wasting WIFI coverage in the attic. If I wanted to. Just gives added flexibility as a side benefit.

Option 2:
Modem = EM160R (not in a USB enclosure)
Router = WG1608D-M

No need for the USB 3.0 enclosure, since the 1608 is designed to accept a more advanced modem.

Option 3:
Whatever suggestions the kind and smart members here may offer!

Questions:
1. It seems the WG3526 is more reliable and stable than the 1608. Or to put it differently, the 35626 has better firmware support and is more tried and true. Do you think that is a correct assumption?

2. Will this setup survive in my attic? The summer temps top out around 135 F up there.

3. Can I have carrier aggregation on the same Band, but from multiple towers? I have two towers within 4 miles, both with Band 12 and Band 2. Can I get 4x4 from these two bands on two different towers? I would be using dual panel antennas, so could point them in different directions, and can space them apart as far as needed (up to 30ft).

Thank you in advance for any feedback or advice you are willing to provide!
-Brian
Didneywhorl

Re: First Build, Mofi replacement, Budget $500(ish)

Post by Didneywhorl »

BDF1234 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am Hi – New member here looking for some guidance. Sorry for the long post. If you are willing to read it, then you have my sincere thanks!

I just discovered this awesome site and wish I had known about it 12 months ago when we moved to the country. I am looking to assemble my first build, but would like some advice before purchasing. I’m still learning, so please correct any bad assumptions I have made.
Welcome to the site!
BDF1234 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am Goals:
• Improve my DL and UL speeds as much as possible within a budget of roughly $500 (not including the antenna upgrades I will make).
• This must be a very STABLE and RELIABLE connection, as my wife works from home full time, and I work from home a couple of days a week.
• I am not a “tech” guy, but with a little guidance and research I can get things done. Having the support from The Wireless Haven is very valuable to me, which is why I want to buy as much as possible from them. I don’t want to be totally out there on my own.
• I need LTE Bands 2, 4, 12, 13, 14 & 66 to allow flexibility in switching carriers (between AT&T and Verizon for this area).
Stable LTE! lol ... jk. :) I understand totally.

The Quectel EM160R-GL is going to the best non 5G, 4x4 MIMO, modem for the bands you need. 2x2 MIMO-wise, the EM12G would cover it.

BDF1234 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am Current setup:
• Mofi 4500 Sim 7 (Cat 4 modem, no CA). I upgrade the firmware once a month, from their website.
Gross ;)
BDF1234 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am • AT&T sim card through Infinite LTE for $90/mo. (service has been great so far).
• Typical DL speeds are between 5 and 20 Mbps, with the low end being at peak times.
• Band lock on B12 (no CA, 10 MHz up and down).
• I have been testing a directional Panel Antenna (in my attic for now). I bought it from wavefarm (2x2 MIMO, +10 db, LMR 400 cables).
o This improves B12 reception from -94 to -80 dBm (RSRP) and roughly doubles my DL speeds.
o It also provides access to B2 (15 MHz up and down) at around -105 dBm, which is not strong enough to beat the speeds on B12, but I think it could be a secondary band for CA.
o I just haven’t gotten around to the permanent install yet.
• I plan to purchase another 2x2 panel antenna to implement 4x4 MIMO on a more advanced modem as a part of this build. Any input on setting that up is also appreciated.

Build Options currently considered:
Modem selection is probably the Quectel EM160R-GL from The Wireless Haven. This seems to be the highest performing modem they sell. I don’t think 5G is within my budget, plus it is not yet available in the Central VA countryside. It will probably be at least a couple of years, but I don’t really know.

Option 1:
Modem = EM160R in a USB 3.0 Enclosure/adapter
Router = WG3526-P

Connect the modem to the USB port on the WG3526 to avoid bottlenecking caused by MiniPCI-E to M.2 converter (my understanding is you are limited to CAT12 performance, meanwhile I’m buying a CAT 16 modem).

This would have the added benefit of allowing me to run a 65 ft USB cable from the attic to 1st floor to keep the router in my living space instead of wasting WIFI coverage in the attic. If I wanted to. Just gives added flexibility as a side benefit.
This is going to be my vote, hands down 100%. Remove the case and apply a large heat sink and a fan or vent and fan from the inside of the house space to deal with the heat.

BDF1234 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am Option 2:
Modem = EM160R (not in a USB enclosure)
Router = WG1608D-M

No need for the USB 3.0 enclosure, since the 1608 is designed to accept a more advanced modem.

Option 3:
Whatever suggestions the kind and smart members here may offer!
Again #1 is my vote
BDF1234 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am Questions:
1. It seems the WG3526 is more reliable and stable than the 1608. Or to put it differently, the 35626 has better firmware support and is more tried and true. Do you think that is a correct assumption?
100%
BDF1234 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am 2. Will this setup survive in my attic? The summer temps top out around 135 F up there.
Read my comment above
BDF1234 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am 3. Can I have carrier aggregation on the same Band, but from multiple towers? I have two towers within 4 miles, both with Band 12 and Band 2. Can I get 4x4 from these two bands on two different towers? I would be using dual panel antennas, so could point them in different directions, and can space them apart as far as needed (up to 30ft).
Brakes! Nope. Current common cell service comes from a single tower. The radios on that tower can be inter and intra aggregated, but it is not currently possible to establish a connection on multiple simultaneous towers. If you point one 2x2 panel at one tower and the other panel at the other tower you will connect to one and get massive signal noise and it may hop back and forth between the towers causing serious issues with connectivity.
BDF1234 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 am Thank you in advance for any feedback or advice you are willing to provide!
-Brian
It's what we do :)
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

Many thanks for your reply! That is very helpful information. I'm so glad you answered my antenna placement question. That definitely saved me some frustration and trial and error time.

I will plan to install a fan on a thermostat in the attic, pointed at the modem. And look at some additional heatsinks. I'll probably use the usb cable to get the router itself out of the attic.

I realize the Mofi gets joked on a lot, but I will say it has been very reliable.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Anytime!

MOFI isn't a terrible unit, its just marketed to be WAY more device than it is and all you are really paying for is the firmware. They don't tell you that its modem is very dated and the wifi throughput is trash. They say high speed cutting edge! Then charge over $300 for them. Nuts. But it is a roughly turn key unit, soooo. :Shrug:
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:30 pm Anytime!

MOFI isn't a terrible unit, its just marketed to be WAY more device than it is and all you are really paying for is the firmware. They don't tell you that its modem is very dated and the wifi throughput is trash. They say high speed cutting edge! Then charge over $300 for them. Nuts. But it is a roughly turn key unit, soooo. :Shrug:
I totally agree with that! After reading various posts on this forum for a couple of hours my eyes started to open wider and wider :) Eventually I realized that I was an uninformed consumer who had been at least somewhat misled.
TMOAkharawn23

Post by TMOAkharawn23 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:30 pm Anytime!

Hello! I am also new to the forum (just made my account for this) and I was curious about why we should stay away from the WG1608d-m. I currently also have a sim 7 mofi 4500 using a TMO card. my speeds are abysmal at best even with a wilsonpro 70 plus 50 ohm booster. I receive speeds of 2 down to 13 down with around 2-6 up depending on time of day. would you recommend the same set up for me, or something else as I don't mind going higher than 500$? I should be able to receive extended 5g tmobile where I live. (my phone receives it randomly throughout my property.) Thanks! I don't mean to jack a thread but my problem/question is similar and I'd like your opinion! Thanks again.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The WG1608 isn't a bad router, it just isnt proven yet and has its bugs. There seems to be an issue with powering some modems, but I don't have that info nailed down. The WG3526-P can do everything the WG1608 can do, and has a proven history behind it. the only edge to the WG1608 is the drop in 4x4 MIMO M.2 modem capability out of the box. BUT if you use a adapter like this one: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/ , you are in the race again with the WG3526-p.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-routers/wg3526-p/

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... m-2-modem/
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

TMOAkharawn23 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:04 pm with a wilsonpro 70 plus 50 ohm booster.
Hi there - no worries about jacking the thread :-) From the research I've done, boosters are not recommended for data, only for voice calls. Others can chime in if that is not true. You're better off to run a 2x2 MIMO antenna hooked directly to the antenna ports on the Mofi.

I bought a directional panel antenna with 2x2 MIMO and +10 dB of gain. Here is a link if you want to check it out. It came with 2 LMR 400 cables, pigtail adapters, and a mount. I see that The Wireless Haven also has set ups. This was nice because it was a kit and also covers the 600 MHz frequency.

I'll offer a few suggestions and apologize in advance if you already know and have tried this stuff:

1. To determine if the booster is helping or hindering, you could try turning if off and just using the paddle antennas on the Mofi. I would go to the second floor, if you have one, and try it in various windows. Make sure to run 2 or 3 speed tests in each location.

2. I'm guessing you have a yagi running that booster? If so, you could try hooking the antenna directly to the Mofi. You need to make sure it is pointed directly at the cell tower. I believe the panel style antenna is more forgiving than a yagi when you don't have line of sight or don't have perfect placement.

3. Have you run band scans and tried locking onto your available bands and running speed tests on each one to see which is the best? I lock onto Band 12 (AT&T). Even though Band 2 has more bandwidth, I just can't quite pull enough signal strength to beat B12.

Once again, sorry if you have already tried all this stuff.
TMOAkharawn23

Post by TMOAkharawn23 »

BDF1234 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:35 am Hi there - no worries about jacking the thread :-) From the research I've done, boosters are not recommended for data, only for voice calls. Others can chime in if that is not true. You're better off to run a 2x2 MIMO antenna hooked directly to the antenna ports on the Mofi.

I bought a directional panel antenna with 2x2 MIMO and +10 dB of gain. Here is a link if you want to check it out. It came with 2 LMR 400 cables, pigtail adapters, and a mount. I see that The Wireless Haven also has set ups. This was nice because it was a kit and also covers the 600 MHz frequency.

I'll offer a few suggestions and apologize in advance if you already know and have tried this stuff:

1. To determine if the booster is helping or hindering, you could try turning if off and just using the paddle antennas on the Mofi. I would go to the second floor, if you have one, and try it in various windows. Make sure to run 2 or 3 speed tests in each location.

2. I'm guessing you have a yagi running that booster? If so, you could try hooking the antenna directly to the Mofi. You need to make sure it is pointed directly at the cell tower. I believe the panel style antenna is more forgiving than a yagi when you don't have line of sight or don't have perfect placement.

3. Have you run band scans and tried locking onto your available bands and running speed tests on each one to see which is the best? I lock onto Band 12 (AT&T). Even though Band 2 has more bandwidth, I just can't quite pull enough signal strength to beat B12.

Once again, sorry if you have already tried all this stuff.
thanks for the reply! yeah I use the paddles the mofi came with but I'm thinking I'll switch to a new set up, following in your steps, no matter what I understand the mofi isn't very good in comparison because of the lte cat. I'm really thinking of getting the em20 with wg1608d-m because I believe I can get a 5g signal here using the yagi antennas connected by mimo.
TMOAkharawn23

Post by TMOAkharawn23 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:55 pm The WG1608 isn't a bad router, it just isnt proven yet and has its bugs. There seems to be an issue with powering some modems, but I don't have that info nailed down. The WG3526-P can do everything the WG1608 can do, and has a proven history behind it. the only edge to the WG1608 is the drop in 4x4 MIMO M.2 modem capability out of the box. BUT if you use a adapter like this one: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/ , you are in the race again with the WG3526-p.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... m-2-modem/
Thank you for your response! is there any way I could get 5g with those?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You can use a 5G modem in the adapter, yes, and the WG3526-P firmware supports it.
TMOAkharawn23

Post by TMOAkharawn23 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:39 pm You can use a 5G modem in the adapter, yes, and the WG3526-P firmware supports it.
thanks! is there a specific one you would suggest? like quectel em20 or so? do you have any suggestions on antennas etc for such a set up? would you still just suggest going the route of em16 with the wg3526? because as it is currently with the mofi my speeds are awful and I know some places I can pick up 5g on my property with my phone no booster or anything of the sort. appreciate everything, sorry for any dumb questions.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

TMOAkharawn23 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:30 pm thanks! is there a specific one you would suggest? like quectel em20 or so? do you have any suggestions on antennas etc for such a set up? would you still just suggest going the route of em16 with the wg3526? because as it is currently with the mofi my speeds are awful and I know some places I can pick up 5g on my property with my phone no booster or anything of the sort. appreciate everything, sorry for any dumb questions.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... lar-modem/
2x https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/pigtail- ... ail-cable/
1x https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/cellul ... male-pair/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/power-adapter/1 ... 2-1mm-tip/

Should be all you need unless you want to go with high powered antennas:
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... onnectors/

If you don't want the 5G modem, go to the EM160: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... m-2-modem/
...all else the same

Return to “General and Unclassified”