eSim with M.2 LTE Modem?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Iridium

eSim with M.2 LTE Modem?

Post by Iridium »

Hello

Currently I have a Mikrotik LHG LTE antenna/router. That device is supposed to be installed later on the rooftop. It has a major downside... you have to climb up there to change the SIM card...

I could design a PCB M.2 adapter with an eSim on it. BUT I have absolutely no idea how to provision the eSim with connection profiles from the service provider. Let's start with some questions:

Q1: Currently if you want to use an eSim of a smartphone, you only need to scan a QR code that you could buy from your LTE provider. What does the phone do with the QR code??? Is it an url? Does the smartphone send the eICCID of the eSim to a server somewhere, which then in return starts the provisioning of the eSim? (link/url valid only once apparently)

Q2: How does it work on smartwatches with integrated eSim but without camera to scan the QR code?

Q3: Could we simply provide the eCCID to the service provider so that he could trigger the provisioning manually?

Q4: Could we use any eSIM chip out there or does the LTE service provider only accepts predefined models?

Q5: Apparently for Snapdragon based modems you only need to activate the BIP (Bearer Independent Protocol) mode and PDP context:
AT+QCFG=”bip/auth”,1
AT+QIACT=1
(It is on by default I think)

What should we do next???

Q6: Apparently you could provision the eSim with several connection profiles from different service providers. That's great. But how???

Yeah, that's a lot of tough questions :D

Thanks for your help :)
packlet
Has thanked: 0

Re: eSim with M.2 LTE Modem?

Post by packlet »

bump. I'm also interested in finding out more about if/how an eSim could be used with an OpenWRT router and modem to avoid needing to physically access the device to switch carriers... (other than sw-switchable dual-sim devices, of course)... Does the modem need to support eSIM, or just the router needs to know how to deal with a physically installed eSim or both? etc... TIA, Paul.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Both. Most modems that we use today can have the eSIM added, but it is a manufacturer addition that cannot simply be enabled with an AT command. At least that is all I've found.
blackjmyntrn

Post by blackjmyntrn »

so far, as of this post it appears Fibocom Wireless Inc. L860-GL-16 is what you are looking for. I recently ordered one and will give it a shot! the Fibocom Wireless Inc. FM101-GL-12 also appears to support eUICC.
WJcolorado
Been thanked: 0

Post by WJcolorado »

blackjmyntrn - wondering what you found out with the Fibocom card(s).

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”