Planning a build and have questions!

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Madgoathaz

Planning a build and have questions!

Post by Madgoathaz »

Hello!

I'm currently using a m1100 (with 2x2 external antenna) tied to a mobile router for TTL modification, then to my home Router.
This has been working fine for now, however I'm thinking I should look into a more serious solution.
In doing so I'd like to rid the setup of the GL-iNET router that is currently used for TTL mod. (My RT-AX92U's don't support merlin, nor TTL Modification)
Target carrier is T-Mobile with bands supported in my area: 2,12,71

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So far I've come up with 2 setups and have questions:

EM7565
USB - M.2 Modem Adapter
Question here is, does the modem adapter have a firmware of its own? Or will this access the EM7565 directly.

EM7565
Mini PCI-E To M.2
NEXQ6GO-M Cellular WiFi Router

Question here is, does GoldenOrb allow TTL modification?

Any further help or insights would be greatly welcome, Thanks!
gscheb

Re: Planning a build and have questions!

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
I am currently using T-Mobile at my home and have bands 2, 12, 71. Most modems don't support band 71. In my opinion don't think it is much to chase after in most areas. Allot of the modems cover bands 2 & 12 which are the the ones I use.
Madgoathaz wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:00 pm Hello!
I'm currently using a m1100 (with 2x2 external antenna) tied to a mobile router for TTL modification, then to my home Router.
Good to know. Always wondered if you could do that. Thought of doing it before. Got three routers Dixie chained!

Madgoathaz wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:00 pm 1.
EM7565
USB - M.2 Modem Adapter
Question here is, does the modem adapter have a firmware of its own? Or will this access the EM7565 directly.
Modem adapter doesn't have firmware you would just install modem in this and connect it to router with firmware in it with a usb cable. Much like you are kind of doing now. Connecting the M1 to the GL.INET router.
Madgoathaz wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:00 pm 2.
EM7565
Mini PCI-E To M.2
NEXQ6GO-M Cellular WiFi Router
Question here is, does GoldenOrb allow TTL modification?
Yes rooter, goldenorb, wifix all kind of the same firmwares allow TTL modification and easy to do.
Actually shows where to change it here in this tutorial.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=334

Would say that allot of these LTE routers do not have the best WiFi in them. The one you listed has better WiFi but don't know if it would be considered good. Personally I use two routers. One with modem installed inside (Rooter router). Then another hooked to that router (access point).
This method gets you from 3 devices down to 2. If you want to go all in one device hear good things about his router here for wifi. I have never personally used it.
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/wifix-r ... 8ghz-wifi/
Madgoathaz

Post by Madgoathaz »

Hey thanks for the reply!

Yeah, 71 up here is 10mhz and some are even 5mhz wide. Not much of a worry really when I get great reception on 2 and 12. (2 being the fattest band)

Yeah I really like the ASUS routers I have. The mesh system works excellent for my particular setup. Honestly, I'd rather have a "Dumb" modem than another potential NAT or buggy firmware on the LAN. If I went with the "router" setup, it would be dumbed down to Modem duties only.

I guess for ease or setup and to have the options I want, it might make sense rolling with the nexq6go.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Don't know what you're speeds are. But the only limitation on that router is the LAN ports.
Madgoathaz

Post by Madgoathaz »

Good point!

I would have overlooked that. I'm pretty close to going out 100mbps ethernet as it stands @ 65-70mbps.

I wish there was a ethernet only 200+mbps modem / router option out there.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Madgoathaz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:02 am Good point!
I would have overlooked that. I'm pretty close to going out 100mbps ethernet as it stands @ 65-70mbps.
Just curious about what signal strength you are at on Band 2 and what MHz on that bands?

For routers with higher LAN ports to look at
WG3526
WE1326
WG1608
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I would run the following:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-routers/wg3526-p/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/sierra-w ... m-2-modem/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/mini-p ... card-slot/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cables/pigtail- ... ail-cable/

Then just plug a set of low loss cables from it to your 2x2 MIMO antenna.

If you want to go outdoors with the unit and power via POE LAN, then you will want to add a 72W injector and change the MHF4 to SMA antenna pigtails to a set of 10" MHF4 to N Female Bulhead connectors. The enlcosure itself as well.

Then cable the enclosed router to the antenna via very short LMR cables
Madgoathaz

Post by Madgoathaz »

gscheb wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:51 am
Just curious about what signal strength you are at on Band 2 and what MHz on that bands?

For routers with higher LAN ports to look at
WG3526
WE1326
WG1608
It's a pretty solid connection on B2, RSRP: -82 RSRQ: -7. When It connects to B12, RSRP: -76 RSRQ -5. Tower is about 7 miles away, but I have clear line of sight to it due to my property being up on the next mountain side from it.

The B2 seems to be universally 15mhz wide around here. The B12 and B71 I pick up from home is all 5mhz wide.

I know my speed is contingent on T-Mobiles de-prioritization as I can get upwards of 70mbps in off peak but generally sit around 30mbps throughout the day. This is with a M1 in 2x2 mimo however. I'm not sure if that kicks carrier aggregation down to 2x as well or not. I see the sierra modem can do 3x, I'm curious if that would have an effect.
Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 am I would run the following:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-routers/wg3526-p/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/sierra-w ... m-2-modem/
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/mini-p ... card-slot/

Then just plug a set of low loss cables from it to your 2x2 MIMO antenna.

If you want to go outdoors with the unit and power via POE LAN, then you will want to add a 72W injector and change the MHF4 to SMA antenna pigtails to a set of 10" MHF4 to N Female Bulhead connectors. The enlcosure itself as well.

Then cable the enclosed router to the antenna via very short LMR cables
Ya know...

After the posts here, I started looking at that setup. It's WAY more than I really need (paying for options that I'll never use) but it seems it might be the "Best" step up from my current setup. Ideally I would like to be able to see at least a small speed bump to justify the setup. I'm beginning to think I might need to not expect that however.

EDIT: I should add that the 2x2 antenna is outdoors in a great spot and is already cabled back to the attic with some good cables. I would plan to reuse this setup and keep everything housed in the attic.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I generally like the WG3526P as an established router that has been in use for a few years, AND it has gigabit LAN ports. I turn the wifi off and use it as a LTE gateway modem/router and feed it to an edgerouterX myself. It costs a bit more than some other options, but the gigabit LAN with a native modem interface is hard to find for very cheap. Especially one with open source firmware.

There are other options, but this is what I like to run.

The WG1608 is cool, but is still very new on the block and is getting kinks worked out.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Madgoathaz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:45 am I know my speed is contingent on T-Mobiles de-prioritization as I can get upwards of 70mbps in off peak but generally sit around 30mbps throughout the day. This is with a M1 in 2x2 mimo however. I'm not sure if that kicks carrier aggregation down to 2x as well or not. I see the sierra modem can do 3x, I'm curious if that would have an effect.
Have to remember that 3X CA only work on certain band configurations. Honestly don't think you will an increase of speed by doing this switch. Do believe might help your upload speed. Guessing your upload speed not the best with the M1.
Just since mine isn't as good with a M1 on T-Mobile.
Madgoathaz

Post by Madgoathaz »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:57 am I generally like the WG3526P as an established router that has been in use for a few years, AND it has gigabit LAN ports. I turn the wifi off and use it as a LTE gateway modem/router and feed it to an edgerouterX myself. It costs a bit more than some other options, but the gigabit LAN with a native modem interface is hard to find for very cheap. Especially one with open source firmware.

There are other options, but this is what I like to run.

The WG1608 is cool, but is still very new on the block and is getting kinks worked out.
Well! That is great to hear, thanks for the info. Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm leaning that way.
Are you using a sierra modem as well? is there a preference between the 7565 and the Quectel EM12-G?

gscheb wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:57 pm Have to remember that 3X CA only work on certain band configurations. Honestly don't think you will an increase of speed by doing this switch. Do believe might help your upload speed. Guessing your upload speed not the best with the M1.
Just since mine isn't as good with a M1 on T-Mobile.
Interesting,

Yeah, I figure the tower is also a limitation with the CA front as well. Seeing as though I'm up in the sticks, I wouldn't imagine they would pour on the LTE magic sauce too thick up here...

On the upload front, I actually get some nice upload on B2: 30-40mbps. When on B12 (which is rarely) it is 10-12mbps.

I'll say this though, I have bands locks on the m1 of B2+B12, B2 & B12.

When on single band 2, download maxes out around 40mbps and upload is the same.
When on single band 12, download maxes out around 30mbps while upload kicks down to 10-12mbps.
When running the usual band 2+12, download maxes out around 70mbps and upload matches B2 single at around 40mbps.

So it seems to be using B2&B12 together for download when it can while defaulting to the single fattest band it can get ahold of for upload.

This is where I am curious if the max speed I'm seeing is actually hitting the ethernet limitation of the little GL-iNET open wrt router I have in-between the M1 gateway and my router for TTL mangling. Which I guess isn't too big of a deal as I only hit those max speeds between midnight to 6am.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Wow that is good upload. What kind of antennas are you using?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Madgoathaz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:02 am Good point!

Here are two setup options of using a second router, with its pros and cons:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=15956#p15956
Madgoathaz

Post by Madgoathaz »

BillA wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Here are two setup options of using a second router, with its pros and cons:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=15956#p15956
For sure would be using pass through on any router / modem combo that I would be upgrading to.

Nice write-up, thanks for sharing.

gscheb wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:40 pm Wow that is good upload. What kind of antennas are you using?
I'm not using anything special really, just a cheapo proxicast mimo panel and some cheap 50ohm cable. The antenna has something like 70 degrees of beam width, so it's not a hard one to tune in.

Edit: Thought I'd just add a quick speed test. Typical afternoon weekday speed (2 work computers connected to company VPN atm). Download can suffer 10-15mbps around 6-10pm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”