WiFix DNS servers?

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
JoshKelly

WiFix DNS servers?

Post by JoshKelly »

Does WiFix use different DNS servers than regular GoldenOrb? If so how would I made regular GO match WiFix's? I have some weird stuff going on with my smart devices on regular GoldenOrb but works fine with WiFix?

Thank you!
baldwine
Has thanked: 0

Re: WiFix DNS servers?

Post by baldwine »

Does WiFix use different DNS servers than regular GoldenOrb?

I don't know the answer for this question, but I can answer your question about changing the GoldenOrb DNS servers. GoldenOrb out of the box does not have an assigned name server, it defaults to whatever your ISP uses, you can change that though Network and Modem.

Network --> Interfaces --> Lan (edit) --> General Settings (tab)
- Use custom DNS servers: You can add your custom DNS settings here, if you use a second server, click on the '+' to add it
- Click 'Save" at the bottom right of the page
- Click 'Save and Apply' at the bottom of the Interface page to apply your new DNS settings.

Another Location is under Modem:
Modem --> Connection Profile --> Advanced (tab)
- Add your DNS server to Custom DNS Server 1
- Additional DNS Server address will go below
- Click 'Save and Apply' at the bottom of the page to apply your new DNS settings.

I do not know if you need both of these settings to be applied as I don't regularly use them, but I believe you need the Modem applied in order to change your wireless and it might apply to all interfaces. Someone smarter than me will correct me if I am mistaken.
JoshKelly

Re: WiFix DNS servers?

Post by JoshKelly »

baldwine wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:49 pm I don't know the answer for this question, but I can answer your question about changing the GoldenOrb DNS servers. GoldenOrb out of the box does not have an assigned name server, it defaults to whatever your ISP uses, you can change that though Network and Modem.

Network --> Interfaces --> Lan (edit) --> General Settings (tab)
- Use custom DNS servers: You can add your custom DNS settings here, if you use a second server, click on the '+' to add it
- Click 'Save" at the bottom right of the page
- Click 'Save and Apply' at the bottom of the Interface page to apply your new DNS settings.

Another Location is under Modem:
Modem --> Connection Profile --> Advanced (tab)
- Add your DNS server to Custom DNS Server 1
- Additional DNS Server address will go below
- Click 'Save and Apply' at the bottom of the page to apply your new DNS settings.

I do not know if you need both of these settings to be applied as I don't regularly use them, but I believe you need the Modem applied in order to change your wireless and it might apply to all interfaces. Someone smarter than me will correct me if I am mistaken.
Awesome! Thank you for this!
I did get an answer and they both should be set up almost identical

Return to “Firmware”