Would like some advice on a router build

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
theoriginalgiga
Has thanked: 0

Would like some advice on a router build

Post by theoriginalgiga »

Hi all, first I want to say I apologize if this is in the wrong location. I'm looking for a bit of advice for a build I'm contemplating. So T-mobile has approved me to use they're home internet package, neato. I currently live in a suburban area with 3 towers within probably 2 miles. the hardware they provided is getting about 17mbps symmetrical which is.... well bad for a suburban area. I've tried a bunch of different locations within my home comparing the speeds to my cell and overall the cell has knocked it out of the park while the router has been lackluster (110mbps vs 17mbps). This has me thinking that the router/modem/internal antennas are just not suited to perform decent speeds. I'm hoping to kick the comcast service since they cap the traffic and make you pay when you exceed that. so here's the hardware I've selected, I'd love someone's opinion on this as I'm brand new at all of this:

Modem:
Telit LM960A18
this router chassis:
WG1608D-M
and 3x this antenna:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYYWFMP/

I do happen to have a couple of questions:
1) does openwrt/rooter/goldenorb do a public IP passthrough? I have a fairly complex network and run a dedicated firewall, it would just be much easier not having to fiddle around with a DMZ/NAT passthrough to the firewall and just use a bridged/semi-bridged/public IP passthrough
2) I know that the antennas I selected can't cover band 71 (600MHz) which isn't quite in my area right now. would anyone know a decently priced antenna that would cover the 600MHz? preferably omnidirectional.
3) any recommendations that you might have when positioning the antennas? I've done a little bit of research on it but haven't really dove into it. if you happen to have any links or articles I should read that would be great!
Didneywhorl

Re: Would like some advice on a router build

Post by Didneywhorl »

I think Tmobile has all but banned the LM960A18 on every plan but their overpriced data bucket plans.
theoriginalgiga

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:41 pm I think Tmobile has all but banned the LM960A18 on every plan but their overpriced data bucket plans.
That's really good to know, do you have any other recommendations? I may still buy one and test to validate and see if I can't get their engineer to tell me why.
toddw

Post by toddw »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:41 pm I think Tmobile has all but banned the LM960A18 on every plan but their overpriced data bucket plans.
Yea, same thing happened with my testing. I had the LM960 and the LM960A18. The LM960 worked fine, but the A18 needed a pooled data only plan. Both however work fine on AT&T.

Band 71 is more prevalent in rural areas due to its range. I've seen it on highways outside of major cities, but once in a city I noticed bands 2, 4, 12 and 66 being dominant. If you want Band 71, I would look at the EM7411. It works very well and one of my go-to modems.

My new favorite is the EM160, works great on Tmo and AT&T.
toddw

Post by toddw »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:10 pm See link for a TM Band-71 antenna

https://poynting.tech/articles/press-re ... 4918,16218
Your killing me smalls, another antenna I feel the urge to test LOL. The RSRF 600mhz panel is 8dbi gain, the Yagis are around 10.5 but a 11db panel? They claim its across all spectrums, I find that hard to believe. Are there any reviews on this one?
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

This antenna (XPOL-2-5G-US Version 3) just came out so I have not seen any reviews yet. I have yet to get one to test with.

There are very few Band-71, 600MHz antennas on the market!! Just Sharing information I have found so far 8-)

Do you have a part number of one you can recommend.
toddw

Post by toddw »

I started using these, with good results...

Then tested these, with same results in terms of gain, typical yagi results...

https://www.signalbooster.com/products/ ... wDEALw_wcB

Right now, I'm responding to this post using these as they perform just as good as any other 600mhz yagi I have tested, I did a/b tests against the units above with no real difference with exception the The Wireless Haven antennas are better priced and support the forum....

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte ... l-antenna/
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Thanks for the list and links will look into them.
theoriginalgiga

Thank you all for your awesome replies! Sorry for taking so long to reply, for some reason I couldn't load the forum page. Anyway So from the information I've gathered, being prepped for 600MHz isn't cost effective given the pricetags of the 600MHz antennas. Since I'm not Rural and many have pointed out that it's traditionally used only in rural areas, it isn't a big loss. It's a shame that T-mobile blocks the LM960a from all but one plan as it seems to be a rock solid performer and ticks a lot of boxes. So I think unless I can get one super cheap I'm not even going to even bother testing my plan for it. I think the answer is the EM160 to potentially get above 600MBps. I could focus on a bit more inexpensive antennas for it and once 5G comes to my area and requires 600MHz for it, I'll start the hunt again and hopefully the antenna will be cheaper.

My last question, is the EM160R-GL the correct model for North America. I can't seem to find any other variations of it online so I just wanted to be sure.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

There is only the GL model at this time. I've inquired about it to Quectel. They confirmed.
theoriginalgiga

Thanks for the info! I took the plunge and ordered the equipment. it should be in by mid next week. I'm looking forward to getting this really dialed in.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

theoriginalgiga wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:47 pm , being prepped for 600MHz isn't cost effective given the pricetags of the 600MHz antennas.
I just wanted to point out that I recently bought a directional panel antenna that covers the 600Mhz frequency. I thought the price was pretty good at $220 and it included 2 LMR 400 cables, pigtail adapters, and a mount.

Please note, I have not tested on the 600 Mhz frequency. So far, I have only used it on B12 (700) and B2 (1900). So I can't speak to its performance in the 600 range.

Just thought I would throw that out there in case you decide to go that route at some point.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

Sorry, I now see that someone else already linked this kit. My apologies.
Jwbuckna
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jwbuckna »

Hi just my 2 cents as a newbie I have an Omni Parsec Husky 7:1 pancake antenna rated for low frequency B71 and up and I was looking at the 160 modem for use but I thought there was no B71 available for it. My next choice was the Em/Mc7411 to cover that as I plan on using it for special Sprint/TM use. I to have. Peplink Cat18 with the TM 100Gb data only plan which has the 960 limiting me the plans I can use with certain adjustability only.
toddw

Post by toddw »

I missed this, I run the EM160R-GL, used it on both ATT and TMo with solid results. On Tmo, it aggregating on Band66 makes up for the lack of 71 - but... the leaves haven't grown back in and thats when 71 saves the day...

Return to “General and Unclassified”