Have a few questions regarding getting cell hotspot

This a discussion place for anything related to wireless
Steveaw11
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Have a few questions regarding getting cell hotspot

Post by Steveaw11 »

Ive been reading, and in my head its all just so much and so many choices I don't know which route to take.
I, like many americans can only get 3mbps dsl, which is garbage for $60/month. It is a ripoff.

That is my Internet situation, I will not get it and the children are hating on me right now.

So after many months research I fell i am going to go this route, but there are so many.

Okay here goes some tower info.

ATT tower, band 2 only, less than a mile north of me, clear shot almost.

T-Mobile Tower 9 miles West from me on band 12.

Verizon bands 5, 13 about 2-3 miles south of me. (this is what my cell service is now and hot-spotting from phone has yielded highest speed of ~5MB/ps)

Unfortunately all 4 of my phone lines on my unlimited plan have been taken up so i cant get a sim and VPN a router for unlimited hotspot.

I am leaning towards ATT since my daughter has a Cellular Ipad pro that has never had a sim so I could technically use her IMEI for a sim in a Cell router. However reported speeds on tower are in the 8mbps range, not crazy fast.

questions:

1. What is a good Cell/router Combo for under $250 complete. Are MoFi any good?

2. Can you effectively use any prepaid sims for this process for any carrier with a tower listed above?

3. If yes to #2 which service plan and provider is the fastest.

4. If I go the ATT route, if i register her IMEI and stick the sim in a, say, MoFi router will ATT see that its not the Ipad but the router instead using the data?

I'm sure I will have more questions, I'm just looking for cost vs speed ideas based on whats around me. I have 3 daughters and all stream as well as I game on PC to give you an idea of usage.
Didneywhorl

Re: Have a few questions regarding getting cell hotspot

Post by Didneywhorl »

NEXR5GO with an EM12 is my new favorite. Under $300. WAY better than a mofi or equivilent router.

With a post paid ipad SIM you just need to plug it in and cgange the APN.

Works great for me.

Return to “OPEN | UNCLASSIFIED”