Using GPS on EM7565

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Photon
Has thanked: 0

Using GPS on EM7565

Post by Photon »

Is the gps enabled by default on the EM7565? When I use the EM7565 with Tmobile, my internet traffic is always routed through either Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, or somewhere in Indiana. However, when I put the same tmobile sim in my iphone 11, I ALWAYS route through Louisville, which is where I am located. I would like the EM7565 to do the same and was hoping that adding an antenna for GPS would do the trick (most people usually leave this antenna port unoccupied). However, I have not had much luck getting it to work (I have tried !gpsautostart which seems to work, then !gpsfix, !gpstrack, & !gpsloc, all of which return ERROR).

Anyone had any luck utilizing the GPS port?
Didneywhorl

Re: Using GPS on EM7565

Post by Didneywhorl »

Do you have an antenna on the port?

I've never messed with it myself.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Would make sure the phone and modem are using the same band and cell tower

On an iPhone call this number *3001#12345#*
That will place your phone into field test mode
Photon
Has thanked: 0

Post by Photon »

Yes, the phone and the modem are both using band 66 with CA. And I now have GPS somewhat working - the first antenna I tried wasn't able to operate at the correct frequency (I believe it needs to be around 1572 or 1574 MHz). Swapped it for a different one and now when I run at!gpsloc? it returns my correct gps coordinates.

I am not sure though if the gps info is being used though. For example, when I turn location services on for my pc, it still cannot find my correct location. Would this be something I need to enable in the router firmware (to make the router actually use the gps data instead of just retrieving it)? Im running the WiFix version of GoldenOrb ROOter, maybe there is some linux repo I need to install and run?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”