NEXR5GO no GUI access

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
H2ODOG
Has thanked: 0

NEXR5GO no GUI access

Post by H2ODOG »

Can anyone help me? I do have little experience with router firmware updates, etc. but mostly a noob when it comes to this.

Recently I bought a NEXR5GO + EM12-g from The Wireless Haven and using Proxicast mag-mount antennas. Installed modem using M.2 adapter also purchased from The Wireless Haven. Modem and router fired up without problem. hooked to Windows 10 desktop via ethernet and went to 192.168.1.1 and logged in. Following tutorial, I changed the APN and etc. I unplugged and installed SIM card (RedPocket data only plan using ATT towers) and powered back up. Ran several speed tests both via ethernet and wi-fi. Odd that ethernet averaged 12Mbps DL and wi-fi averaged 26 Mbps DL on 5Ghz AC. I was able to log into the GUI both ethernet and wi-fi. I changed the SSD and PW on both 2.4 and 5 bands. Then strange things started happening. After a reboot the power settings for the wi-fi allowed me to select all the way up to 30 dBm (1 watt). Previously it only went up to 22 or 23 dBm. Then I lost internet connectivity. I had ran out of data on the SIM card (I had only purchased 1GB until I know everything was going to work). I found it hard to believe that I had ran through 1GB with those few speed tests I did. At that point I shut off the router and removed the SIM card. I installed the SIM from my wife's phone that is also on RedPocket ATT towers but has a regular phone, text, data plan. The speed tests on it was all over the place with ping and jitter jumping up and down like a seismograph. I changed the TTL to 64 and tried a different APN (her phone had 3 different APNs to select from). Jitter smoothed out but speeds dropped even lower so I chnaged back to the APN RESELLER and rebooted. After that I logged back in and was checking the wi-fi settings and the power levels was again only going up to 22-23 dBm. Then I lost connectivity and could not get back into the GUI again. I have tried both ethernet and wi-fi. The wi-fi was still broadcasting but no internet. I have tried Chrome and Edge browsers and cleared the cookies on both. I even pressed the rest button shortly then let off before it fully rest (I think). I had remembered reading on The Wireless Haven that there was no recovery firmware embedded in the NEXR5GO.
Didneywhorl

Re: NEXR5GO no GUI access

Post by Didneywhorl »

Some speed tests are ridiculous users of data.

There is no recovery mode on the NEXR5, the reset button hold is only to reset/clear the webUI password I think.

Have you tried setting your IP address statically on the interface on your PC, just in case the DHCP isn't giving out addresses.
H2ODOG

Post by H2ODOG »

I am now able to access the router via wi-fi and my Android tablet. Not sure why it started allowing me to again access it. As soon as I was able to get in, I set a static address for my tablet. I am still unable to get in using ethernet. I have tried setting the IP address statically on the PC ethernet adapter but was still unable to get access. I logged into the router using my tablet while the PC was hooked up via ethernet and IP address set statically. I could see the PC on the router. I tried checking the firewall settings on the PC but have found nothing. Reminds me of how after I provisioned my Motorola MB8600 cable modem I was no longer able to log into the modem from the PC but can using the tablet.

BTW the router wi-fi settings still show the max power as being 22 dBm. Any clue as to why for a while that first night it gave me the option to set it at 30 dbm ( which I did and then turned it down to 29 dbm).
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

No idea on the power. Odd.

I would, though do a factory reset via the WebGUI to get a fresh start. Under System->Backup / Flash Firmware. I think it says Reset to defaults or perform reset. Next to where it says create backup I think. Not looking at one RN.
H2ODOG

Post by H2ODOG »

Thank you, Didneywhorl, for your help. I did a factory rest as suggested and was able to get into the router on ethernet using IE (Chrome and Edge still didn't work) at least for a time or two and then no more. I gave up and resigned to being able to only get in using my Android tablet and its Chrome browser. I was able to change the APN, SSIDs, etc. as I needed, though sometimes it took a try or two to get the changes saved to the config file. I just need to figure out an easy way to save the backup files to a drive on my computer and backup drives. I am able to save it to my tablet. Happy to report that the Red Pocket GSMA/ATT SIM card data only plan is connected and working well. The voice plans through Red Pocket did not work too well, both GSMA/ATT and CDMV/Verizon, no matter the TTL setting being 64 or 65. As a matter of fact the CDMV did not work at all and and and after trying it in the router, it shut off my service when I returned it to my phone. It required several hours on chat with the MVNO in order to get things running again.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Glad its working!

Sometimes the browsers cache odd things and sometimes the script/pop up protection does odd things.

I have to swap between browsers all the time and turn off security features. Between privacy browsers and antimalware apps it can be an ass pain.

Yeah, the mvno voice plans are a crap shoot.
ylrkdr

Post by ylrkdr »

Doesn't Red Pocket only have 20GB max on their data plan? Is there a way to get more data?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Usually the trick is if its a hotspot limit vs a total data plan, you can trick the network into thinking your only using phone data vs hotspot.

Return to “General and Unclassified”