EM160R-GL disconnection issues (Solved?)

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
mrrouterguy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

EM160R-GL disconnection issues (Solved?)

Post by mrrouterguy »

Hey everyone, I just got a new em160r-gl module and it worked great on first boot with a total uptime of about 2 hours. I then decided I would power it down (selected the system stop option in the UI and unplugged it) and put in the final router screws. Although, when I booted it again my modem connected and was usable for about 20 seconds and then disconnected and tried to reconnect infinitely. A reboot seems to prompt the same response with it connecting for around 20 seconds and then disconnecting again. So my question is, what did I mess up and how do I fix this?

I checked the router and can verify all the cables are connected securely and the modem is properly installed. I cleaned the SIM card and put it back in my original device to verify that wasn’t the issue. I reset the band priority list on the modem and I checked to make sure my power adapter was fitted properly. I also think it’s worth noting that my modem responds to at commands while it is “reconnecting” so I don’t foresee it being a hardware issue. I am using a stock 2 amp adapter, however this didn’t seem to be an issue initially and I am not taxing the router by any means.
mrrouterguy

Re: EM160R-GL disconnection issues

Post by mrrouterguy »

Update: A modem restore seemed to fix it, but I have absolutely no idea why. The only modification I made to any of the initial settings was with the band list. Upon a restore, it appears to connect to the same band it was previously connected to, but on 5MHz instead of 10MHz
Didneywhorl

Re: EM160R-GL disconnection issues (Solved?)

Post by Didneywhorl »

I think the 5Mhz and 10Mhz channels are solely tower controlled, but I'm no expert there.
mrrouterguy

Post by mrrouterguy »

Yeah, I don't really think that has anything to do with it. I was able to replicate the issue by unplugging my router and plugging it back in. For some reason, I have no connection issues until after the router has powered down. Once the router powers back up, I have to run "AT+QPRTPARA=3" to keep the modem connected for longer than 20 seconds. I am pretty new to this and I understand that support for this modem isn't finalized yet, I just wanted to share and see if anyone had any ideas about what might be causing this.

I might ask the guys over on the whirlpool forum and see if they have any insight, I am a little worried about constantly running the restore command because the people on the Quectel forum discourage it (could damage the memory or something?)
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That is odd. That means there is a setting in there that is automatically being set by the network or router somehow. Clearing everything is blanket solving. Kind of shotgun in the dark approach.

Return to “Quectel Modems”