Something weird is happening...I have a question

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
Lamengamin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Something weird is happening...I have a question

Post by Lamengamin »

I've come to realize that everything I thought I understood, I dont.

I have a MOFI 4500 and I'm using Verizon. I get about 30 MB/s down. I'm out in the sticks and I'm happy with that. The alternatives are horribly worse.

Here's what happening. I run a speed test and get 25-30 down. I immediately go to download an app that is 101 GB. It downloads at 20-30 MB/s until it hits 4 GB of the 101GB and then stops. This is a big app. I initially installed the app using OTR Mobile via T-mobile, back in Sept 2020 and had no issues with 115 GB @ 2-5MB/s. It just took days.

On Verizon, I have restarted the download about 20 times and the same thing every time, 4GB then stops. You can watch the speed drop in a constant countdown, 23 MB/s, 22, 21, 20, 19, 18, etc. all the way to 0.00 Mb/s in just about as many seconds. If I go to Speedtest or Fast.com it still shows everything is good. I'm not being throttled or anything. I still have my 25-30 MB/s.

I thought, maybe there is something limiting the amount that I can download at one time. Is that possible? I can download that same 4 GB 20 times in a day, so I don't imagine there's a daily limit.

To try to figure out if there's a 4GB at a time limit, I am downloading another app from another site. Speedtest and Fast.com continue to show my normal 25-30 MB/s until I start the download. The app is showing it downloading at 2.5 MB/s and Speedtest and Fast.com show speed at around 5MB/s while downloading. I expect lower numbers from the test while downloading, but why is it only downloading at 2.5 MB/s when 25-30 is available? The other app downloads at 20-30 down every time.

I'm siting here waiting to see what happens at 4 GBs, but confused about the vast difference in speeds at which the 2 app download? Am I missing something?

So my 2 questions are,
#1 Is there a download limit with Verizon that someone knows of?

#2 What's going on with the speed differences?

Thanks for reading.
gscheb

Re: Something weird is happening...I have a question

Post by gscheb »

Hello
Used to have same issue with mofi.
Quite using mofi issue went away. This was on T-Mobile service.
Lamengamin

Post by Lamengamin »

Which issue? Both?
Lamengamin

Post by Lamengamin »

Update - Doesn't seem to be a Verizon limit. Download 2 is on 14GB and still downloading.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Not sure what both issues are. But when I had a Mofi it would never download something with out crashing. After went to using rooter that stopped. Don't know if that is your issue but it was mine.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”