Unlimited AT&T Post Paid Tablet Plan with MoFi

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
mtbholt
Has thanked: 0

Unlimited AT&T Post Paid Tablet Plan with MoFi

Post by mtbholt »

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure something out here. My friend has the "Access for iPad 4G LTE" $20 post paid plan with AT&T and his plan works perfectly with the MoFi.

I just received the "Unlimited for Tablet" $20 post paid plan with AT&T. And it doesn't seem to work with the MoFi. (I already activated the SIM in an iPad mini 1st gen and 4G works great with the iPad). I originally requested the "Access for iPad 4G LTE" plan but the rep said that plan wasn't available.

My friend and I both have a MoFi SIM 4

The strange thing is my friend received a blue/white universal SIM card when he first got the plan. However, I only received a yellow nano sized SIM with no other adapters on the card.
My friend and I have tried swapping SIM cards in both routers. My friend's SIM works fine in either router, however mine does not. We reset all settings and set back up again, no luck.

The other strange thing is that once in a while I can get it to work on WCDMA band 2, which is a 3G band (speed is very very slow on this band).

Right now we are stuck. I'm thinking it must be something with the SIM card or plan that's causing the issue.

Would anyone have any thoughts on this?
baughmanrn
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unlimited AT&T Post Paid Tablet Plan with MoFi

Post by baughmanrn »

I have the exact same problem.
thejohnfist

Post by thejohnfist »

Seems odd, and you've ruled most problems out with hardware by using his SIM. Maybe something with the plan, maybe pop it back inthe ipad and have them reprovision the card.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

mtbholt wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:32 pm Hi everyone, I am trying to figure something out here. My friend has the "Access for iPad 4G LTE" $20 post paid plan with AT&T and his plan works perfectly with the MoFi.

I just received the "Unlimited for Tablet" $20 post paid plan with AT&T. And it doesn't seem to work with the MoFi. (I already activated the SIM in an iPad mini 1st gen and 4G works great with the iPad). I originally requested the "Access for iPad 4G LTE" plan but the rep said that plan wasn't available.

My friend and I both have a MoFi SIM 4

The strange thing is my friend received a blue/white universal SIM card when he first got the plan. However, I only received a yellow nano sized SIM with no other adapters on the card.
My friend and I have tried swapping SIM cards in both routers. My friend's SIM works fine in either router, however mine does not. We reset all settings and set back up again, no luck.

The other strange thing is that once in a while I can get it to work on WCDMA band 2, which is a 3G band (speed is very very slow on this band).

Right now we are stuck. I'm thinking it must be something with the SIM card or plan that's causing the issue.

Would anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sounds like you used an old ipad models imei to sign up.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:22 am Sounds like you used an old ipad models imei to sign up.
Hello,
Looking for some help with post pay att tablet plan setup. Want to try it out now that I hear the proxy issues are fixed.
Don't know anything about tablets. Hear how people activate them in wrong device and then don't work for there lte needs.
Wondering what is the cheapest device to buy to get the plan going?
What are the steps on getting it going?
Can you do this without imei funny business on your router? Don't want to do that.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

I have seen magic happen with a hard factory reset of the MoFi.

MUST REMOVE SIM FIRST!!

Make a back up of your settings and do screen shots.
Remove the SIM and do a factory reset of the MoFi. :ugeek:
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:22 am Sounds like you used an old ipad models imei to sign up.
Hello,
Looking for some help with post pay att tablet plan setup. Want to try it out now that I hear the proxy issues are fixed.
Don't know anything about tablets. Hear how people activate them in wrong device and then don't work for there lte needs.
Wondering what is the cheapest device to buy to get the plan going?
What are the steps on getting it going?
Can you do this without imei funny business on your router? Don't want to do that.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I'm not 100% sure about the best tablet to use for activation other than the newest you can afford. It should work with ipad or android. My account is about 8 months or so old, and I've never done any imei funny business. I've swapped mine to multiple devices, every week. I use it for ATT tests.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:04 pm I'm not 100% sure about the best tablet to use for activation other than the newest you can afford. It should work with ipad or android. My account is about 8 months or so old, and I've never done any imei funny business. I've swapped mine to multiple devices, every week. I use it for ATT tests.
Thank you for the answer.

Do you or anyone else know of people using beyond 500 gigs on this plan per month?
Has anyone bought this plan thru Ebay.
People are selling this plan like pre set up or something like here : https://www.ebay.com/itm/124015772615
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Yes, lots of people on the Facebook group have touted over 1TB of use, to which many will say they are abusing. :shrug:

I do not know about the ebay sellers though.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

This is sounding good so far. Is there any reason to use TTL on this? Does is help not to set out red flags or does it matter?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I do IPV4 TTL. Seems IPV6 is better turned off, but the IPV6 TTL settings turned on caused problems for me.
toddw

Post by toddw »

Every time I leave IPV6 enabled, eventually the DHCP service as a whole (on OpenWRT based devices) hoses up. So I also disable it by default.
mtbholt

Post by mtbholt »

baughmanrn wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:42 am I have the exact same problem.
I figured it out - When I originally signed up for the AT&T plan I gave them the IMEI of my older iPad and activated the SIM in the old iPad. I had to call them and reactivate the SIM in a newer iPad.

The issue was probably due to the SIM not being properly provisioned for LTE.
gscheb

Unlimited AT&T Post Paid Tablet Plan

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:04 pm I'm not 100% sure about the best tablet to use for activation other than the newest you can afford. It should work with ipad or android. My account is about 8 months or so old, and I've never done any imei funny business. I've swapped mine to multiple devices, every week. I use it for ATT tests.
Looked into this some more. Went to a store and called them. The cheapest device seen you can get is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" screen. It is a Category 4 tablet but who cares if you just going to remove the sim. New it is $240 but seen some of these used for sale. Also seen them refurbished on Amazon. Just be careful you don't get an WiFi only one.
gscheb

Re: Unlimited AT&T Post Paid Tablet Plan

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:05 am Looked into this some more. Went to a store and called them. The cheapest device seen you can get is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" screen. It is a Category 4 tablet but who cares if you just going to remove the sim. New it is $240 but seen some of these used for sale. Also seen them refurbished on Amazon. Just be careful you don't get an WiFi only one.
Ok finally did this. Ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" screen from eBay. The seller included the emei so ordered the service before even had tablet. Sim showed up before tablet did. And it works without it ever being installed in the tablet. And this thing works great. So easy to set up. Set apn to broadband and way it goes. No TTL to set it anything. Works in multiple devices. Quectel em12 and the night hawk m1 tested it in.
Blows my T-Mobile service away. Which been using for 3 years or more.
Hopefully don't get shut down.

Have some questions about this is anyone can help.

Is there a need worry about setting TTL?
Can I order more than one sim card on one tablet imei?
Or do I need a tablet IMEI for every sim card I order?
farmy87

Post by farmy87 »

gscheb wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:50 am Ok finally did this. Ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" screen from eBay. The seller included the emei so ordered the service before even had tablet. Sim showed up before tablet did. And it works without it ever being installed in the tablet. And this thing works great. So easy to set up. Set apn to broadband and way it goes. No TTL to set it anything. Works in multiple devices. Quectel em12 and the night hawk m1 tested it in.
Blows my T-Mobile service away. Which been using for 3 years or more.
Hopefully don't get shut down.

Have some questions about this is anyone can help.

Is there a need worry about setting TTL?
Can I order more than one sim card on one tablet imei?
Or do I need a tablet IMEI for every sim card I order?
I ordered a tablet w/ plans to follow these same steps. Are you able to precisely describe you you obtained the service? What # you called, what you asked for, etc. Also did you already have AT&T phone service or is the the only service you have thru them?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

farmy87 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:21 am I ordered a tablet w/ plans to follow these same steps. Are you able to precisely describe you you obtained the service? What # you called, what you asked for, etc. Also did you already have AT&T phone service or is the the only service you have thru them?
Hello,
Never had AT&T phones and still don't. They really really pressure to try to get you to switch to their phones.
Called this number which seen on another post here some where. 855-593-1430. Told them wanted an ipad/tablet plan with unlimited data for the kids to watch videos. They recommended this plan that is unlimited for $20 per month plus taxes and etc with auto pay.
You will need your IMEI of the tablet. They run a soft credit check on you. Social, email, license #, address and all that jazz they take just like any post pay service would.
After all that they mailed me a sim card. Received the card before the tablet arrived. It worked for data in devices right away. Have never even put the sim into the tablet.
There a couple small bugs to work out. Heard people saying to make it IPV4 only. So now trying that out in a nighthawk m1. If that makes it stable will try that also in the EM12 next. Still in the testing phase of this.
farmy87

Post by farmy87 »

Awesome, thanks for all the details gscheb. Hopefully it works as smooth for me when the tablet shows up. I have an unused AT&T sim I'll see if they let me use as well. Will report back with how it goes!
SNKETR

Post by SNKETR »

Maybe i missed it, but do you already have to have a plan with AT&T, like a cell plan. Then you just add the post paid plan too it for the Ipad? Doesn't sound like it but i wanted to confirm.
SNKETR

Post by SNKETR »

I may have missed this but do you have to have a previous account with AT&T, such as a current phone line? Then you just add the post paid iPad plan? It doesn't sound like it from what I'm reading. I just want to make sure I understand everything correctly.

If I do have an AT&T phone line, is it safer if I open it under my wife's name, in case something triggers a crackdown due to excessive use?

I'm moving to a rural area and my only options are this or satellite.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

SNKETR wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:11 pm I may have missed this but do you have to have a previous account with AT&T, such as a current phone line? Then you just add the post paid iPad plan? It doesn't sound like it from what I'm reading. I just want to make sure I understand everything correctly.

If I do have an AT&T phone line, is it safer if I open it under my wife's name, in case something triggers a crackdown due to excessive use?

I'm moving to a rural area and my only options are this or satellite.
Hello,
Have no cell phone plans with AT&T. Got this as a single stand alone plan, Yes you can get this all by itself.
gscheb

Re: Unlimited AT&T Post Paid Tablet Plan with WiFiX

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:10 am I do IPV4 TTL. Seems IPV6 is better turned off, but the IPV6 TTL settings turned on caused problems for me.
Hello,
Been using this for a few days now. Have now disabled IPV6 and it has gotten better with disconnects. Still doing it like once per day. Seems to always happen during meetings. Like a company teams meeting or a college class type meeting, Literally every time it fails it is during some type of meeting.
Any one have any ideas about this?

Edit:
Also seems to only happen when you are sharing screens during these meetings.
But with that said my son can play online PC games on it and has never had an issue.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:10 am I do IPV4 TTL. Seems IPV6 is better turned off, but the IPV6 TTL settings turned on caused problems for me.
Hello,
Is there a certain way you are suppose to do this?
Using quectel em12.
Thanks
gscheb

Unlimited AT&T Post Paid Tablet Plan with WiFiX

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Is there a certain way you are suppose to do this?
Using quectel em12.
Thanks

EDIT:

This is the command that I used to make it to IPV4 only below
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","broadband"

Also found this post link : https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 441#p12440
What it says is shown below:
Post by eschmid2 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:10 am
All, just in case anyone has same question, I recieved some help from BillA on this forum and he advised to do the following:

On the router go to Network > Interfaces > LAN > EDIT > Common Configuration > General Setup > IPv6 assignment length > select "disabled", then click Apply & Save. Restart the router, wait at least 5 minutes to register properly to the mobile network, then try to access websites with the non-working devices.
This worked fantastic and now laptops and all phones connected with great speeds. Thanks Bill !

So I am not completely sure what I was suppose to do with this AT&T service plan.
Was I suppose to make it to IPV4 only? (If so what method to do this?)
Or just not use TTL for IPV6? (And leave it as IPV4V6?)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Just got kicked out of teams meeting again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This set up works perfectly until you have teams meetings then bam kicks you off.
This is effecting work and college efforts.

Does anyone have any ideas what causes this?
Is there anyone else that is also having this issue?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:02 pm Just got kicked out of teams meeting again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This set up works perfectly until you have teams meetings then bam kicks you off.
This is effecting work and college efforts.

Does anyone have any ideas what causes this?
Is there anyone else that is also having this issue?
Now Looking into this further. See somehow that the IPV6 came back?
IPV6 is back..PNG
Not sure how after I used this command here : AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","broadband"

Going to try and de-activate it the other way from earlier post see if that makes it stay away.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 441#p12440

Hopefully this will make it stay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:17 pm Now Looking into this further. See somehow that the IPV6 came back?
IPV6 is back..PNG

Not sure how after I used this command here : AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","broadband"

Going to try and de-activate it the other way from earlier post see if that makes it stay away.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 441#p12440

Hopefully this will make it stay.
Looking now maybe the IPV6 came back because didn't use these commands below.

AT+QMBNCFG="AutoSel",0 (stop Autoselect config on sim detection)
AT+QMBNCFG="Deactivate" (disable MBN config)

So when it was restarted it set it up again?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:37 pm Looking now maybe the IPV6 came back because didn't use these commands below.

AT+QMBNCFG="AutoSel",0 (stop Autoselect config on sim detection)
AT+QMBNCFG="Deactivate" (disable MBN config)

So when it was restarted it set it up again?
So I used these commands to stop autoselect config and to disable mbn config.
Then redid the AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","broadband" for each one.

Then restarted the router and the IPV6 is back again?
Anyone have help to how you disable this IPV6 that is necessary for AT&T?

IPV6 is back..PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

The only way to get it to stop doing the IPV6 version is to leave the Modem Connection Profile APN setting blank. Then set the APN manually with AT+CGDCONT command. It should persist once set. Keep the MBNCONFIG AutoSel turned off.

TTL is set in the firewall rules, this is mine for ATT:

Code: Select all

# A Hashtag is in place if not using that line.

# Popular TTL values: 64 for Visible. 65 for Verizon, ATT and Tmobile. 117 is sometimes a working TTL for Verizon.
# When changing values, first place # on all the TTL value lines beginning, like this line itself has. Then click Restart Firewall.
# Then change all of the TTL values to what you need and then delete the #s at their lines beginning.
# Then click Restart Firewall. Changes should then be applied properly.

# Start-IP6-TTL-Fix
#ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
# End-IP6-TTL-Fix

# Start-IP4-TTL-Fix
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
# End-IP4-TTL-Fix
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:09 pm Hello,
Been using this for a few days now. Have now disabled IPV6 and it has gotten better with disconnects. Still doing it like once per day. Seems to always happen during meetings. Like a company teams meeting or a college class type meeting, Literally every time it fails it is during some type of meeting.
Any one have any ideas about this?

Edit:
Also seems to only happen when you are sharing screens during these meetings.
But with that said my son can play online PC games on it and has never had an issue.

It's possible that you carrier is dropping the connection when using certain apps which are accessing non-standard ports (such as meeting/screen sharing apps). If forcing IPv4 doesn't help, you may have to use a VPN to bypass it completely or change carriers. When you say "dropping the connection", is it dropping just for that app or you have to restart the router to reconnect to the mobile network?

Due to a glitch in the OpenWRT firmware, when trying to set it to IPv4 only via the AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","<APN>" command, it will revert back to IPV4v6 after each restart. Leaving the APN blank under Modem > Connection Profile and setting the APN manually via an AT-command to IPv4 seems to change it, unfortunately it doesn't work with some carriers. Also, it may revert back to IPv4v6 after each restart. There's a permanent solution which I will post later on tonight.

There seems to be some confusion about IP version settings, so here's a quick lowdown.
IP version can be set in the router under Network > Interfaces > LAN > EDIT > Common Configuration > General Setup > IPv6 assignment length > select "disabled" which only affects the local network (LAN and WiFi only, nothing to do with the modem/carrier connection).

There's a separate IP version setting in the modem which affects the connection between the modem and the carrier.
Ideally you need to set both in order to avoid any IP issues, while the local network settings will stick just fine, the modem settings are a bit trickier.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:39 pm When you say "dropping the connection", is it dropping just for that app or you have to restart the router to reconnect to the mobile network?
Have to restart the router and reconnect to the mobile network. It drops the service itself. So odd has done this multiple times always in these meetings every time.
But my son can do PC online shooter games for hours and never drop the connection.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:14 pm The only way to get it to stop doing the IPV6 version is to leave the Modem Connection Profile APN setting blank. Then set the APN manually with AT+CGDCONT command. It should persist once set. Keep the MBNCONFIG AutoSel turned off.

TTL is set in the firewall rules, this is mine for ATT:

# A Hashtag is in place if not using that line.

# Popular TTL values: 64 for Visible. 65 for Verizon, ATT and Tmobile. 117 is sometimes a working TTL for Verizon.
# When changing values, first place # on all the TTL value lines beginning, like this line itself has. Then click Restart Firewall.
# Then change all of the TTL values to what you need and then delete the #s at their lines beginning.
# Then click Restart Firewall. Changes should then be applied properly.

# Start-IP6-TTL-Fix
#ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
# End-IP6-TTL-Fix

# Start-IP4-TTL-Fix
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
# End-IP4-TTL-Fix
Hello have a follow up question on this.
When I remove the apn and make it blank and restart the router is it normal for it not to connect anymore?
In order to get it to connect to the internet I have to go add broadband to the apn every time.
Is this the way you are doing it?

Put in the apn connect to service. Then go remove apn and set it to IPV4 only? Every time you restart?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Gotta add the APN manually via AT commands, they should persist after power cycles and reboots:

Menu: Modem-->Miscellaneous--> AT Command terminal

AT+CGDCONT=2,"IP","broadband"

Make certain the MBN profiles are turned off

AT+QMBNCFG="AutoSel",0

AT+QMBNCFG="Deactivate"
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:17 pm Gotta add the APN manually via AT commands, they should persist after power cycles and reboots:

Menu: Modem-->Miscellaneous--> AT Command terminal

AT+CGDCONT=2,"IP","broadband"

Make certain the MBN profiles are turned off

AT+QMBNCFG="AutoSel",0

AT+QMBNCFG="Deactivate"
Yes that is what I was doing. It won't connect again with out the apn in the entered in the Modem Connection profile.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:17 pm Gotta add the APN manually via AT commands, they should persist after power cycles and reboots:

The custom AT-command itself does persist on restarts, but the firmware's internal script keeps interfering with the IP version. I've seen it work with some, but not all carriers for some reason. I'm still testing a solution before posting a writeup.

You could test the sim card in a phone by creating a new custom APN entry and setting the IP version to "IPv4 only" then make sure to select the new profile and reboot the phone. If it works in the phone, then it's a router issue, if it doesn't, then it's a provisioning issue by the carrier (there's not much you can do about it, other than changing carriers).
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:39 pm Due to a glitch in the OpenWRT firmware, when trying to set it to IPv4 only via the AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","<APN>" command, it will revert back to IPV4v6 after each restart. Leaving the APN blank under Modem > Connection Profile and setting the APN manually via an AT-command to IPv4 seems to change it, unfortunately it doesn't work with some carriers. Also, it may revert back to IPv4v6 after each restart. There's a permanent solution which I will post later on tonight.

There seems to be some confusion about IP version settings, so here's a quick lowdown.
IP version can be set in the router under Network > Interfaces > LAN > EDIT > Common Configuration > General Setup > IPv6 assignment length > select "disabled" which only affects the local network (LAN and WiFi only, nothing to do with the modem/carrier connection).

There's a separate IP version setting in the modem which affects the connection between the modem and the carrier.
Ideally you need to set both in order to avoid any IP issues, while the local network settings will stick just fine, the modem settings are a bit trickier.
Hello BillA,
Was wondering if you might have time to show me what is highlighted in red?
Regarding to what is highlighted in blue above. Does this need to be done on my house router too? The (access point) that is plugged into the router?
My set up has the WiFi Disabled and another router for access.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:15 am Hello BillA,
Was wondering if you might have time to show me what is highlighted in red?
Regarding to what is highlighted in blue above. Does this need to be done on my house router too? The (access point) that is plugged into the router?
My set up has the WiFi Disabled and another router for access.

Red = Working on it and will post it once it has been tested thoroughly.
Blue = You would set it to IPv4 only in both places (router and modem) in order to avoid any issues.

If you're using a second router connected to the mobile router, this can complicate things and I simply don't have the time to test that combination. The easiest solution is to set it to IPv4 only on the mobile router in both places (router and modem) with DHCP enabled. Connect the second router set to transparent bridge mode with DHCP disabled to avoid any conflicts (basically the second router works as a dummy ethernet/WiFi access point, without serving DHCP).

If you don't want to, or can't use the first method, then you will have to put the mobile router into quasi DMZ mode, set it to IPv4 only in both places (router and modem), disable IPv6 in the second router too, but there's no guarantee that it will work. For this reason, I would recommend testing it without the second router first, and once you get it working with the mobile router alone, then you can test it with the second router.

Before wasting a bunch of time messing with the IP version in your router(s), in order to find out if your carrier even supports IPv4 only mode with your particular sim card/service, I would highly recommend testing it first in a phone.
Create a new custom APN entry and set the IP version to "IPv4 only" (usually shown as "APN Protocol" for both regular and roaming modes), then after saving it make sure to select the new profile by clicking it and reboot the phone. If browsing works in the phone's browser then it's a router issue, if it doesn't, then it's a provisioning issue by the carrier (there's not much you can do about it, other than changing carriers). To be certain that your phone is actually in IPv4 mode, look at the top left of this speed test page (https://www.bing.com/widget/t/speedtest). If you see a four octet group (ex. 172.158.139.123) then you're in IPv4 mode, if it's a long number with a bunch of colons, then you're in IPv6 mode.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Ok BillA thanks.
Currently have it in a netgear LB1120 set to ipv4 only. The router it is hooked to is a tp-link with the the ipv6 disabled. So far so good. See if it lasts. If so then will know it is a ipv6 then for sure.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

On another thought. Since I don't need band locking on this setup. Don't really need wifix or rooter installed. Is it maybe easier to set the original openwrt firmware to ipv4 only on these zbt routers?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

BillA wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:00 am The custom AT-command itself does persist on restarts, but the firmware's internal script keeps interfering with the IP version. I've seen it work with some, but not all carriers for some reason. I'm still testing a solution before posting a writeup.

You could test the sim card in a phone by creating a new custom APN entry and setting the IP version to "IPv4 only" then make sure to select the new profile and reboot the phone. If it works in the phone, then it's a router issue, if it doesn't, then it's a provisioning issue by the carrier (there's not much you can do about it, other than changing carriers).
Similar to this? : https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=431
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:34 pm Ok BillA thanks.
Currently have it in a netgear LB1120 set to ipv4 only. The router it is hooked to is a tp-link with the the ipv6 disabled. So far so good. See if it lasts. If so then will know it is a ipv6 then for sure.
Update:

Now has been 24 hours with no disconnect issues. This is the current record with this. Don't know if it is because of the IPV4 only setting now have or if it just because not openwrt based. Real test will be during the week to see if it handles all the meetings and stuff for college and work.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Honestly modem manager seems to be stepped up in connection game. I need to spend more time with it.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:00 pm Update:

Now has been 24 hours with no disconnect issues. This is the current record with this. Don't know if it is because of the IPV4 only setting now have or if it just because not openwrt based. Real test will be during the week to see if it handles all the meetings and stuff for college and work.

So you have an LB1120 modem connected directly to TP-Link router, with nothing else in between or after?
Which firmware are you running on the TP-Link (GoldenOrb or OpenWRT)?
I thought OpenWRT doesn't have a built in modem manager, and needs to be added separately (perhaps the newer version does?). Haven't played with it for over a year now.

The easiest way to narrow down these issues, is by using the simplest setup possible. Once you start mixing multiple routers, it only increases the points of fault, including IPv6 leakage, and just complicates diagnostics.

Didneywhorl wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:58 pm Similar to this? : https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=431
Yes, that's part of it, just didn't want to jump the gun without testing it thoroughly.
Because trading $GME nowadays is more important. ;)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:10 pm So you have an LB1120 modem connected directly to TP-Link router, with nothing else in between or after?
Which firmware are you running on the TP-Link (GoldenOrb or OpenWRT)?
Yes the Netgear LBll20 is a LTE only modem no WiFi. Very simple Category 4 modem. Added a apn to it to to be just IPV4 no IPV6.

That LTE modem is fed into the Wan port of a TP-LINK AC1900. This TP-LINK AC1900 has no openwrt, rooter, wifix etc. Using the OEM firmware of the TP-LINK AC1900. Also disabled the IPV6 on this TP-LINK AC1900.

So this is very simplistic set up. Not dual router. Modem to Router like a traditional set up.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:53 pm Yes the Netgear LBll20 is a LTE only modem no WiFi. Very simple Category 4 modem. Added a apn to it to to be just IPV4 no IPV6.

That LTE modem is fed into the Wan port of a TP-LINK AC1900. This TP-LINK AC1900 has no openwrt, rooter, wifix etc. Using the OEM firmware of the TP-LINK AC1900. Also disabled the IPV6 on this TP-LINK AC1900.

So this is very simplistic set up. Not dual router. Modem to Router like a traditional set up.

Thanks for the update....
Now you know that the random disconnects were likely caused by something else other than the carrier. I can't stress enough the importance of using the simplest, least number of equipment especially during diagnostics, it can save a ton of time and one's sanity. he-he
Since this seems to be an IP version issue, once I have enough time to test it fully, I'll post a possible solution for the mobile router.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

BillA wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:05 pm Thanks for the update....
Now you know that the random disconnects were caused by something else other than the carrier. I can't stress enough the importance of using the simplest, least number of equipment especially during diagnostics, it can save a ton of time and one's sanity. he-he
This test definitely points to an IP version issue, once I have enough time to test it fully, I'll post a possible solution for the mobile router.
Honestly right now not sure if it is ipv6 issue or just a rooter/openwrt issue?
If it makes it thru the work and school day tomorrow will set ipv6 back on this simple setup. Then if it still works than might be a rooter/openwrt issue.
Just monitoring it to figure it out. There is another line of this type of service someone else is using in a mifi 8800l jetpack since last night. That unit has ipv6 on the apn set up. Been texting then and no disconnects. This too is a very simple set up since there are using the WiFi right from the jetpack.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:19 pm Honestly right now not sure if it is ipv6 issue or just a rooter/openwrt issue?
If it makes it thru the work and school day tomorrow will set ipv6 back on this simple setup. Then if it still works than might be a rooter/openwrt issue.
Just monitoring it to figure it out. There is another line of this type of service someone else is using in a mifi 8800l jetpack since last night. That unit has ipv6 on the apn set up. Been texting then and no disconnects. This too is a very simple set up since there are using the WiFi right from the jetpack.
Update:
ok this simple set up with the Netgear LBll20 is a LTE only modem and TP-LINK AC1900 made it over two days now with no disconnects. This includes a day of work meeting and school meetings that this plan never got thru before. Now with this current set up this was ipv4 only.
Now it is set to ipv6 as well. See if this set up continues to work now.
Also the other line of service at another household with ipv6v4 in MiFi Jetpack 8800l still going with no disconnects.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:07 pm Update:
ok this simple set up with the Netgear LBll20 is a LTE only modem and TP-LINK AC1900 made it over two days now with no disconnects. This includes a day of work meeting and school meetings that this plan never got thru before. Now with this current set up this was ipv4 only.
Now it is set to ipv6 as well. See if this set up continues to work now.
Also the other line of service at another household with ipv6v4 in MiFi Jetpack 8800l still going with no disconnects.
Update:
This simple set up with the Netgear LBll20 is a LTE only modem and TP-LINK AC1900 made it two days now with no disconnects. This includes two days of work meeting and school meetings, Now with this current set up this was set to ipv6 as well. This set up continues to work now.
So starting to look like WiFiX/Rooter is the issue on this one.

Considering trying OEM openwrt that comes stardard loaded on the ZBT routers to see how it goes.

Since this plan will work with out TTL settings is there any reason to use them?
gscheb

Re: Unlimited AT&T Post Paid Tablet Plan with WiFiX/Rooter

Post by gscheb »

Update:
Just for fun went back to a WiFiX set up. This time got a different router. Used a WE826-T2 with EM12 and kept IPV4V6 set up. Made it almost 24 hours before it disconnected.
The other set up mentioned above went 4 fulls days with no disconnect.
So it does seem that WiFiX/Rooter is the issue on this plan.
Need to try to disable the IPV6 on the WiFiX/Rooter Firmware and see if this fixes this like other users said it does.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 pm Update:
Just for fun went back to a WiFiX set up. This time got a different router. Used a WE826-T2 with EM12 and kept IPV4V6 set up. Made it almost 24 hours before it disconnected.
The other set up mentioned above went 4 fulls days with no disconnect.
So it does seem that WiFiX/Rooter is the issue on this plan.
Need to try to disable the IPV6 on the WiFiX/Rooter Firmware and see if this fixes this like other users said it does.
Update:
Ok just set this WE826 with EM12 to be IPV4 only.
Did this by doing three things.

First following this here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=431
This is a great tutorial. Used the edit method on this. Was a little different since had different line number mine was on but could follow and figure out what needed to be done.

Second following this here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 441#p12440
This is very straight forward and easy to do.

Third went to my second actual wifi router (access point) and disabled the IPV6 function on it.

To verify was IPV4 only after reboot did this command here: at+cgdcont?

Which returned :
at+cgdcont?
+CGDCONT: 1,"IP","broadband","0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0
+CGDCONT: 16,"IP","attm2mglobal","0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0
OK

Also since this is IPV4 only now instead of messing with custom rules just did the plain old set custom TTL settings function to 65.

Will update later to let you know if this worked for me to keep this from flaking out and disconnecting now.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:53 am Update:

This is a great tutorial. Used the edit method on this. Was a little different since had different line number mine was on but could follow and figure out what needed to be done.

Second following this here: https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 441#p12440

Third went to my second actual wifi router (access point) and disabled the IPV6 function on it.

Which returned :
at+cgdcont?
OK

Also since this is IPV4 only now instead of messing with custom rules just did the plain old set custom TTL settings function to 65.

Will update later to let you know if this worked for me to keep this from flaking out and disconnecting now.
Update:
This set up above didn't make it even 24 hours before it disconnected Have hard time getting WiFiX/Rooter to work. Anyone have any help for this? Do you see something that I am doing wrong on this?

But when I take all open wrt based firmware out of the equation works just fine for days.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Which returned :
at+cgdcont?
OK

Update:
Since the above update failed and haven't received any further thoughts on this going to try something else. Since this service doesn't require TTL to run at all. Works in other hotspot devices with out TTL settings.
Going to try this exact set up minus the TTL settings. See if that makes a difference. Trying to get this stuff to work before just give up and selling all these devices and getting conventional hotspots for these AT&T tablet plans.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Which returned :
at+cgdcont?
OK

gscheb wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:40 pm Update:
Since the above update failed and haven't received any further thoughts on this going to try something else. Since this service doesn't require TTL to run at all. Works in other hotspot devices with out TTL settings.
Going to try this exact set up minus the TTL settings. See if that makes a difference. Trying to get this stuff to work before just give up and selling all these devices and getting conventional hotspots for these AT&T tablet plans.
Update:

This time with no TTL set on the device lost connection after little over 30 hours. Not sure what else to try on this. If no one has any other advice will have to just obtain conventional hot spot devices for these plans and sell my ZBT set ups.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Does any of the devices automatically reconnect after they lose connection? 30 hours without a dropout on a "wireless" connection in general is pretty good in the big picture of things imo. There are all kinds of factors that are completely uncontrollable when it comes to wireless and interference etc. Now if it's not automatically reconnecting then thats another story, but I doubt you find any device thats gonna do better than 30 hours. There is a very good chance that its not device related. I run 3 (sometimes 4) different LTE connections into an OMR setup and typically I will see a handful of reconnects on each line on a daily basis. Sometimes they can go days, sometimes I will see multiple reconnects within an hour. I just chalk it up to random interference. Sorry if I missed something, i've read this thread a couple times since its started but its a long one and ive slept since then.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

mtl26637 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:13 am Does any of the devices automatically reconnect after they lose connection? 30 hours without a dropout on a "wireless" connection in general is pretty good in the big picture of things imo. There are all kinds of factors that are completely uncontrollable when it comes to wireless and interference etc. Now if it's not automatically reconnecting then thats another story, but I doubt you find any device thats gonna do better than 30 hours. There is a very good chance that its not device related. I run 3 (sometimes 4) different LTE connections into an OMR setup and typically I will see a handful of reconnects on each line on a daily basis. Sometimes they can go days, sometimes I will see multiple reconnects within an hour. I just chalk it up to random interference. Sorry if I missed something, i've read this thread a couple times since its started but its a long one and ive slept since then.
With conventional hotspot devices like a mifi 8800L and Netgear LB1120 will stay connected with no disconnects at all. The issues seem to be something to do with rooter somehow.
When it does disconnect got to manually power cycle the thing to reconnect to my understanding. This isn't working for us with working from home and online meetings and such.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

It would be really hard to tell if one of the legit hotspot devices aren't also dropping out and reconnecting except it sounds like they are actually 'reconnecting' if they did drop. About the only way to tell for sure on one of the hotspots would be to start a ping loop and check back in say a day and see if you have any dropped packets. Not sure if there are any 'logging' of connections or monitoring in any of your hotspots? What do you have set on your modem connection profile to reconnect under the connection monitoring tab? Typically the 'modem reconnect' will do the trick but I have had to set it to 'power toggle or modem reconnect' or worse case set to 'router reboot'. On my modem reconnects in the syslog it literally takes less than 3 seconds on reconnect so it would be very hard to catch if it was to actually reconnect for you. Just need to get it to actually reconnect.

Might also take a peak at you syslogs and see what is actually happening with the modem when it does drop out. It under Status/System log or you can do 'logread' from ssh.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

mtl26637 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:24 pm What do you have set on your modem connection profile to reconnect under the connection monitoring tab? Typically the 'modem reconnect' will do the trick but I have had to set it to 'power toggle or modem reconnect' or worse case set to 'router reboot'. On my modem reconnects in the syslog it literally takes less than 3 seconds on reconnect so it would be very hard to catch if it was to actually reconnect for you.
Honestly never used that before. Been pretty much always following this set up here:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21 ... 47dcb1c78e
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:49 pm Honestly never used that before. Been pretty much always following this set up here:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=21 ... 47dcb1c78e

Now that I think about it, my WG3526 with an EM20 also drops out once or twice a day. I can tell because I stream ATTtv 24/7 and the tablet shows "lost internet connection" but then it reconnects almost instantly. I'm using SimpleMobile so obviously different carriers will behave differently.

While I haven't tried setting the modem into ECM mode, it might be worth a try.
ECM mode is supposed to auto-reconnect whenever the link goes down, just be ready to reflash the modem in case you lose complete control.

ECM mode
AT+QCFG="usbnet",1
AT+CFUN=0;+CFUN=1

Manually restart the router, wait at least 5 minutes to fully boot up, then test it.
To set it back to normal QMI or MBIM modes:

QMI mode
AT+QCFG="usbnet",0

MBIM mode
AT+QCFG="usbnet",2
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

BillA wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:36 pm ...

While I haven't tried setting the modem into ECM mode, it might be worth a try.
ECM mode is supposed to auto-reconnect whenever the link goes down, just be ready to reflash the modem in case you lose complete control.

I usually have had success going in via putty and running AT commands to change it back when the modem is put in ECM mode and the router 'loses' the modem.
BillA

Post by BillA »

gscheb wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:47 pm With conventional hotspot devices like a mifi 8800L and Netgear LB1120 will stay connected with no disconnects at all. The issues seem to be something to do with rooter somehow.
When it does disconnect got to manually power cycle the thing to reconnect to my understanding. This isn't working for us with working from home and online meetings and such.

My solution to keep the mobile connection alive constantly is by streaming a web page in the background such as this stock quote link:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/?symbol=BTCUSD

It should be run in a web browser on any device which is constantly connected to the router (24/7) such as a phone, tablet, or preferably a PC because even a minimized browser window/tab is being updated in the background. It uses very little data while keeping the connection alive. And might as well trade some Bitcoin to get rich (or poor). lol Ever since I started to use this link, I haven't has a single disconnection for months, your mileage may vary.

Return to “Internet Service Providers”