Calyx Alcatel Hotspot USB to Ethernet not working

HOTSPOT Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
cpachristopher

Calyx Alcatel Hotspot USB to Ethernet not working

Post by cpachristopher »

Hi All

I'm likely to become more regular here, I've already had a tower survey done, and from the roof I can get reasonable service.

My question is, I'd like to have the Alcatel Linkzone 2 connect via an ethernet cable to my existing wifi router (set-up as an AP, preferably)

I can plug the Alcatel Linkzone 2 into my PC via USB and it works perfectly. The issue is that when I plug in the USB to Ethernet adapter, the light on the wifi Router (Netgear) is RED.

I tested the USB to Ethernet adapter with another device, and it works. I checked the settings in the Alcatel software, and I can't find anything about it. I'm assuming I need to change a protocol somewhere? On the Alcatel or the Netgear? I'm new to this stuff, any help would be great.
Didneywhorl

Re: Calyx Alcatel Hotspot USB to Ethernet not working

Post by Didneywhorl »

The Linkzone hotspot doesn't have the drivers to run the adapter.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

If you want to keep the linkzone as the device you can try to get an externally powered USB3 cable that is very long maybe?

Does the Netgear router support USB tethered modems? Some routers do support this. The thewirelesshaven.com routers do. Most any router that can run openWRT firmware or its variants can, including some Netgear routers.
cpachristopher

Post by cpachristopher »

Thanks - the router I currently have won't support USB modems, unfortunately. There's probably another router in my future, I was just hoping that there might be a way around it! Thanks!
Hogtiednaked
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Hogtiednaked »

I tethered my linkzone to a mofi4500 then to my router. Works great. I would like to find a modem that carries all the same bands to just pop in my mofi but can’t seem to find one reasonably priced.I thought about buying another off eBay, about $25,and tear into it and see what I can do.

Return to “General and Unclassified”