LTE dual antenna setup: can I mix & match narrowband antennas?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
Nav1133
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LTE dual antenna setup: can I mix & match narrowband antennas?

Post by Nav1133 »

Hi folks. I'm installing a 4G LTE router/modem in my rural property which is at the very edge of a carrier's coverage area. Nearby town has B7 (2600 MHz) and B28 (700MHz) masts.

There used to be a single yagi antenna and a small USB modem attached to a router, all on top of a pole, and the link to the rest of the property was a powerline adapter. modem/router have to be replaced and I'm taking the chance to upgrade the antenna setup as well with two antennas for MIMO. New modem is a Huawei B535-232, which takes two external LTE antennas.

My question: if I find that both B7 and B28 are available at my spot, would I benefit from dual-antenna setup with one narrowband 2600MHz antenna + one narrowband 700MHz, or am I better off shooting for a single frequency?

I understand there are wideband antennas around but their gain is considerably lower than these single-band jobs and I feel need every last drop of gain that I can get.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Didneywhorl

Re: LTE dual antenna setup: can I mix & match narrowband antennas?

Post by Didneywhorl »

Nav1133 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:53 pm ...
My question: if I find that both B7 and B28 are available at my spot, would I benefit from dual-antenna setup with one narrowband 2600MHz antenna + one narrowband 700MHz, or am I better off shooting for a single frequency?
Nope. This will cause issues, as the modem doesn't know your using two different antennas, it uses both ports as it pleases and expects a matched pair of antennas on each port. There are ways to custom program the firmware to use it like that, but that is WAY above paygrade.

Now if you wanted to use a pair of each on both ports (4 total antennas, 2 of each kind), by combining the antennas into a single feed per antenna port. That MIGHT work, as each antenna will filter out the other frequencies anyway. I've never tried, but was always curious about doing it to add B46 capable antennas to one of my setups.

You'd likely be better off going with wide bands, or being the guinea pig.

Return to “Questions and Support”