Use NEXQ6GO-M and Pixel 4a for unlimited data?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
WonkoTheSane
Been thanked: 0

Use NEXQ6GO-M and Pixel 4a for unlimited data?

Post by WonkoTheSane »

Hi!

I read this post by BillA about USB tethering a phone to a router:

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=22 ... 9cf#p10303

And I'm wondering if this will work for me.

I am planning to use the WiFiX NEXQ6GO-M Cellular Router (https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/routers/lte-rou ... fi-router/) and an unlocked Pixel 4a with a Verizon Unlimited plan and an AT&T unlimited plan for RV use.

Questions:
1. Does this method still work to use the phone data for a computer and other devices without showing as hotspot usage, thereby bypassing the restrictions legally?
2. Is the router I am looking at a good candidate?
3. I am using about 250 - 300 gigs per month now, will this be an issue using this method (will it raise red flags with the cell phone companies)?
4. Will using the phone as a modem be severely limiting to me for reception considering that I will have some flexibility of where I stay each day and can move the phone to higher/different windows and possibly a skylight while I am working (should I consider something else, different phone, different modem, etc.)?
5. Is there any advice you can give me that maybe I haven't considered?

Thanks for any info!
Viper67857

Re: Use NEXQ6GO-M and Pixel 4a for unlimited data?

Post by Viper67857 »

You don't need a cellular router for that. Any OpenWrt-compatible router with a USB port will handle the job. Also most Asus routers can do it with stock firmware.

You only need the cellular if you want to install a modem directly into the router.
WonkoTheSane

Post by WonkoTheSane »

Viper67857 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 am You don't need a cellular router for that. Any OpenWrt-compatible router with a USB port will handle the job. Also most Asus routers can do it with stock firmware.

You only need the cellular if you want to install a modem directly into the router.
Thanks, the router I have (TP Link A7 V5) doesn't appear to be compatible with OpenWRT, or at least that's what I'm learning.

Any recommendation for a router?

Currently looking at the ASUS Dual-Band 2x2 AC1300 Super-Fast WiFi 4-Port Gigabit Router with MU-MIMO and USB 3.0 (RT-ACRH13).
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer_a7_v5

Seems the Archer A7 v5 is compatible with the latest OpenWrt versions. You could install vanilla OpenWrt and add modemmanager, or build your own goldenorb binary (or just kindly ask dairyman to do it for you over in the whirlpool forums).
WonkoTheSane

Post by WonkoTheSane »

Viper67857 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:52 am https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer_a7_v5

Seems the Archer A7 v5 is compatible with the latest OpenWrt versions. You could install vanilla OpenWrt and add modemmanager, or build your own goldenorb binary (or just kindly ask dairyman to do it for you over in the whirlpool forums).
Thanks, honestly I'm looking through the instructions on the wiki and it's not super clear to me exactly what to do. Do you have any site recommendations that spell it out for someone new to this?

Also, just to check, this whole plan does work correctly for using unlimited cellphone data plan without being seen as a hotspot, correct?
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

Honestly I don't even know if you'd need modemmanager/rooter to tether a phone. Stock OpenWrt will probably work. I've always just used a modem with my setup. Someone with more experience phone tethering should probably chime in here...

Return to “General and Unclassified”