New build for ATT?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
dubgdaddy

New build for ATT?

Post by dubgdaddy »

The modem on my MOFI 4500 died today and I've been wanting to build a replacement for a while. I've done some searching but couldn't find what I was looking for. This is my first build and I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I'm rural and on ATT bands 2/4. I've got a parabolic antenna mounted with great reception to a tower about 5 miles away. I'm wanting fast speeds and reliability, don't care so much about the cost. What router and modem options would be good for this situation? Thanks in advance!
gscheb

Re: New build for ATT?

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Don't know what kind of speeds you where getting before? Don't believe what you had before will do carrier aggregation on band 2 & 4 at the same time.
A quectel em12 will though.
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems/quectel- ... m-2-modem/
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

I'll 2nd the em12-g... Mine has been performing beautifully for the past 6-7 months. For routers, the 3526 is more than good enough, but the 1608 is even better. If that parabolic is a single-output, I'd drop about $60 on a mimo feed for it from aliexpress. Doing that basically doubled my download speeds.

If price is no object and you wanna go all out, grab a 2nd mimo parabolic from The Wireless Haven and a cat16+ modem with 4x4 mimo support.
dubgdaddy

Post by dubgdaddy »

Speeds have averaged about 20/20 which I would consider the minimum. I don't think it will either, thanks for the recommendation.

My antenna is just a simple ZDA 1900mhz grid parabolic dish, I don't even know what a mimo feed is but I'll check it out, thank you. I think I'll go with the 1608. The em12-g isn't in stock but the em7565 is, are they comparable? The specs look very similar.
Viper67857

Post by Viper67857 »

7565 will do 2+4, 2+4+5, or 2+4+12. Sierra modems also have that nice AT command that shows the stats of each antenna. I don't think you can go wrong with that one.

As for 2x2 mimo, that means either using 2 matching antennas, or a single cross-polarized antenna with 2 outputs. If you're only using one cable to your modem then it's being held back. Replacing the feed on a parabolic is a rather simple task that can up to double your speeds.
dubgdaddy

Post by dubgdaddy »

Awesome viper, thanks!
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

dubgdaddy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:07 am Speeds have averaged about 20/20 which I would consider the minimum. I don't think it will either, thanks for the recommendation.

My antenna is just a simple ZDA 1900mhz grid parabolic dish, I don't even know what a mimo feed is but I'll check it out, thank you. I think I'll go with the 1608. The em12-g isn't in stock but the em7565 is, are they comparable? The specs look very similar.
Hello,
Are you saying that you are using a WiFi antenna hooked to the modem and it works?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

dubgdaddy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:07 am Speeds have averaged about 20/20 which I would consider the minimum. I don't think it will either, thanks for the recommendation.

The EM12 isn't in stock where?

thewirelesshaven.com has them.
dubgdaddy

Post by dubgdaddy »

Alright guys, I feel like I'm missing something super simple here. Got the 7565 installed and the antenna connectors on, reassembled the case, installed SIM, attached external antenna, powered it up and logged in. Problem is I don't see any modem options. What am I missing? I've been searching tutorials and can't find anything related to my problem on either this router or the WG3526...
dubgdaddy

Post by dubgdaddy »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:31 pm The EM12 isn't in stock where?

thewirelesshaven.com has them.
It wasn't in stock when I posted and they don't have them now either.
dubgdaddy

Post by dubgdaddy »

gscheb wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:03 am Hello,
Are you saying that you are using a WiFi antenna hooked to the modem and it works?
No, I was using that antenna with the MOFI 4500 prior to it dying.
dubgdaddy

Post by dubgdaddy »

Okay, updated firmware and it now sees the modem. It connects and sees the imei, etc. I've updated the APN to broadband but still no internets. What else am I missing?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Lol, bad timing I guess.

They were in stock when I posted, then sold out, and they should be back in stock within the next day or so.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

dubgdaddy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:30 am Okay, updated firmware and it now sees the modem. It connects and sees the imei, etc. I've updated the APN to broadband but still no internets. What else am I missing?
Just checked, they are in stock right now: https://thewirelesshaven.com/product-category/mod ... el-modems/

Return to “General and Unclassified”