LTEFIX Vs GoldenORB - Firmware

Topics related to OpenWRT, LEDE, GoldenOrb, Linux and other firmware
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Prvt.N00b

The Wireless Haven Vs GoldenORB - Firmware

Post by Prvt.N00b »

I have a WE826-T2 router, currently with a Sierra Wireless 7565 Modem, I'm trying to find what is the difference between these 2 firmware, I understand that they are basically OpenWRT mods made for our router, but which one is better for my router?

Thanks.
ratledge

Re: The Wireless Haven Vs GoldenORB - Firmware

Post by ratledge »

What you're going to find is that Golden Orb ("GO") and therefore The Wireless Haven firmware based on it are much more user friendly firmware(s) that has many things self-configured and therefore you don't need a degree is rocket science to utilize it, and the opposite end of the spectrum is the OpenWRT firmware, which has options out the wazoo to the point that you can likely configure it to launch spaceships and go to Mars, much less the moon. That makes it somewhat obtuse for nooby users, but also gives it the ultimate in flexibility.

thewirelesshaven firmware is a mod'ed / customized version of Golden Orb, but functions much the same. The major difference isn't between them, rather between them as a pair WRT the original OpenWRT firmware code, which is quite extensive and intended for those of us that want to get their hands deep into the inner workings of a router and/or hotspot, although of course none of the WiFi is required for a basic router. (you can easily have an old school router without any radios)

Take your pick, you can have truly easy to use with GO and The Wireless Haven firmware, or you can have ultimate configurability almost to the point of absurdity with OpenWRT firmware. I am quite happy using GO, although my router came with a basic firmware based on an earlier version of OpenWRT flashed into the ROM ("eeprom"). All are fairly easy to flash once you know the method used for your specific router, but OpenWRT takes some time to configure, especially if you have never used it before.

My experience with Golden Orb is that it works pretty much without too much hand holding once you flash the ROM. Of course, you _CAN_ go wild with it, also, and it is quite flexible as well, not meaning to say that it's not quite configurable, just that the learning curve might be steep with OpenWRT whereas GO will get you going with a minimum of fuss and configuration. As I am fond of saying "Your mileage WILL vary!"...
Prvt.N00b

Re: The Wireless Haven Vs GoldenORB - Firmware

Post by Prvt.N00b »

ratledge wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:19 pm What you're going to find is that Golden Orb ("GO") and therefore The Wireless Haven firmware based on it are much more user friendly firmware(s) that has many things self-configured and therefore you don't need a degree is rocket science to utilize it, and the opposite end of the spectrum is the OpenWRT firmware, which has options out the wazoo to the point that you can likely configure it to launch spaceships and go to Mars, much less the moon. That makes it somewhat obtuse for nooby users, but also gives it the ultimate in flexibility.

thewirelesshaven firmware is a mod'ed / customized version of Golden Orb, but functions much the same. The major difference isn't between them, rather between them as a pair WRT the original OpenWRT firmware code, which is quite extensive and intended for those of us that want to get their hands deep into the inner workings of a router and/or hotspot, although of course none of the WiFi is required for a basic router. (you can easily have an old school router without any radios)

Take your pick, you can have truly easy to use with GO and The Wireless Haven firmware, or you can have ultimate configurability almost to the point of absurdity with OpenWRT firmware. I am quite happy using GO, although my router came with a basic firmware based on an earlier version of OpenWRT flashed into the ROM ("eeprom"). All are fairly easy to flash once you know the method used for your specific router, but OpenWRT takes some time to configure, especially if you have never used it before.

My experience with Golden Orb is that it works pretty much without too much hand holding once you flash the ROM. Of course, you _CAN_ go wild with it, also, and it is quite flexible as well, not meaning to say that it's not quite configurable, just that the learning curve might be steep with OpenWRT whereas GO will get you going with a minimum of fuss and configuration. As I am fond of saying "Your mileage WILL vary!"...
thanks, now I know.

Return to “Firmware”