Advice for building my own solution

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Valicore
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice for building my own solution

Post by Valicore »

Hi all,

I am new to this world and trying to figure out how all this works. I have a Mobile Citizen reseller hotspot, and it doesn't seem to mind the IMEI of the device - I have used it in a ton of different phones that it's not provisioned for, as long as the APN is correct. I am going back and forth between just getting a Cradlepoint router, or building my own using one of the routers from The Wireless Haven. I am leaning towards building my own because I love stuff like that. One big question I have is the modem - it seems easy to buy one inexpensively on eBay, but many of the inexpensive ones seem to use the same chipset but are branded from manufacturers like Dell or HP - do they all work as well? Thanks for helping out a total noob, and apologies if this isn't the right place to put this!

Thanks,

TL
Didneywhorl

Re: Advice for building my own solution

Post by Didneywhorl »

Building them is the best!

To be honest, I've seen the ebay buys to be a crapshoot. The branded ones are a gamble. IF you want to save some cash and take the gamble, give it a go, but I'll bet they offer zero returns for non functioning modems and no support for the modem either.

I try to support the US based businesses, even if the product is made elsewhere.
Valicore
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Valicore »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:24 pm Building them is the best!

To be honest, I've seen the ebay buys to be a crapshoot. The branded ones are a gamble. IF you want to save some cash and take the gamble, give it a go, but I'll bet they offer zero returns for non functioning modems and no support for the modem either.

I try to support the US based businesses, even if the product is made elsewhere.

Thanks a ton for your reply. Do you know if there are any recommended builds or build guides for someone that uses a Mobile Citizen reseller hotspot right now?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Valicore wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:45 pm Thanks a ton for your reply. Do you know if there are any recommended builds or build guides for someone that uses a Mobile Citizen reseller hotspot right now?

A late reply, but I would recommend the thewirelesshaven.com shop.
They got a good selection of routers and modems at reasonable prices, with full support including returns.
BDF1234

Post by BDF1234 »

I was in your position not long ago trying to make a decision about what route to go. I knew I wanted something better than the Mofi 4500 I was using. After a lot of analysis (probably over-analysis), I finally decided to jump in and build my own. I bought the modem and related parts from The Wireless Haven, and combined it with a Raspberry Pi 3B+ for the router. No regrets at all. I'm really happy with it. I would def recommend The Wireless Haven, for the reasons listed above by BillA. Especially as a newbie, I felt a lot more comfortable knowing I would be able to get some help. Plus its cool that they are a small business serving such a unique need. And have set up this awesome web forum to further provide help and share ideas.

Return to “General and Unclassified”