Nomad Internet AT&T Throttling

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
Myshkin

Nomad Internet AT&T Throttling

Post by Myshkin »

I just got an AT&T plan from nomad internet and I previously had one from unlimitedville and would get around 150mbps down. Now it seems that it is throttled to 8mbps on every band. Does anyone know if this is just a thing with nomad internet or a temporary thing or if it's all AT&T plans? My only other option is T-Mobile and I get around 9mbps down on that so it's not any better.

Any idea for other options would be greatly appreciated.
Didneywhorl

Re: Nomad Internet AT&T Throttling

Post by Didneywhorl »

Its likely because they are using the business group plans that are limited to 8Mbps. I'm not 100% on that though.
Myshkin

Post by Myshkin »

Yeah that's what I figured with googling do you know anywhere to get an AT&T plan that's not throttled that or verizon seems to be the only usable solution for my house.

The signal strength is very good with 5 bars on band 2 for at&t that used to give 150mbps+
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

If verizon is very strong and just fast enough with a phone might consider tethering the phone.
Myshkin

Post by Myshkin »

gscheb wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:46 am If verizon is very strong and just fast enough with a phone might consider tethering the phone.
Yeah ATT signal is extremely strong here so I'm thinking of getting a pixel 4a or something and rooting it for a wireless hotspot then using a wifi extender. Are there still ways to do hotspots rooted without it counting toward hotspot data? I haven't kept up on this.
tetranz

Post by tetranz »

Myshkin wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:35 pmAre there still ways to do hotspots rooted without it counting toward hotspot data? I haven't kept up on this.
Yes EasyTether will work for this. http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/android.html

I use it on a Samsung Galaxy A01 with two plans.

A T-Mobile Magenta. My account shows all data as device, not hotspot.
and
A Cricket / AT&T plan from Amazon. Unfortunately that has no "account data usage" page but I'm well past the hotspot amount where it would be slowed to a crawl and it's still working at full speed.

As an aside, I think the carriers can tell what app you're using because my experiments with Visible on a different phone appear to be less successful in pretending to be on the phone. https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... 508#p14508
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Currently Tethering a Verizon phone using WG3526 using rooter/WiFix. It isn't my main source of data. Just supplemental data. Don't know about AT&T.
Myshkin

Post by Myshkin »

Ok thanks for the info guys I'll go ahead with this plan then and get an unlocked pixel 4a 5g and try out AT&T first and if I have issues switch to verizon. I read you can connect pdanet to an asus router via the usb so I may try that.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Also terryjett is doing this with Visible and a GL.INET router
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2064

Return to “Internet Service Providers”