My provider all of a sudden says I can only use

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
technerd88
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My provider all of a sudden says I can only use

Post by technerd88 »

teltonika-networks.com rut950

Like a lot of others, I had an unlimited plan on ATT from a certain provider. Now they are saying I can only use this thing, which only only cat4 and is a LOT worse than what i'm already using. Has anyone ever heard of this? I mean cat4 vs cat16..... and it doesn't look like there is anything special about these that I can find.
terryjett

Re: My provider all of a sudden says I can only use

Post by terryjett »

This might be their way to slowing data speed down. In some areas with a cat16 modem, people get some really fast speeds and they end up hogging a lot of tower resources.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I'm actually looking into stocking these, mostly for remote camera systems, but also to see if they can be upgraded.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

technerd88 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:19 am teltonika-networks.com rut950

Like a lot of others, I had an unlimited plan on ATT from a certain provider. Now they are saying I can only use this thing, which only only cat4 and is a LOT worse than what i'm already using. Has anyone ever heard of this? I mean cat4 vs cat16..... and it doesn't look like there is anything special about these that I can find.
Is this from an ATT reseller? and let me guess, they sell them?
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:38 pm I'm actually looking into stocking these, mostly for remote camera systems, but also to see if they can be upgraded.
Won a pallet action and there were a few of these (J and K models). Played around with the J model (at&t) little bit. Bands 2, 4 and if I recall 12. Sold one to a fleamarket vendor to run an ATM and rest sold fast on eBay:)

Wish I would have kept one of the them...
toddw

Post by toddw »

I used to have one RUT950, it had two sim slots and did load balancing all in one box. I too wsh I kept it because I could run two providers in it. The 950 does not support the newer bands or CA so I let go of it. I contacted them and they have new models coming powered by an EP06A. Their reseller packages are sky high on minimum commit, Pepwave was more affordable and they have a new line that is dual sim with modules that let you swap out to higher CAT modems that support sought after bands like 14 and 71.

As for your provider, that seems odd but yes suspect its to limit to single band/data. However, a strong connection on Band2 with ATT can still download massive amounts of data.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”