Tether Phone to GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router

gscheb

Tether Phone to GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router

Post by gscheb »

terryjett wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:47 pm tethering all the time to little gt-300n (https://amzn.to/2K3DVkN) so know it will work. Matter of fact we watching netflix using the setup.
Hello,
Currently my house is running on T-Mobile. But with two people working from home and two people doing online schooling and other recreational data my usage it getting higher than my comfort zone.

So been tethering a post pay verizon lowest tier "start unlimited" plan. Now my verizon signal is less than awesome for sure. But using it for basically the tv and a couple of kindles. Good enough for streaming. This helps keep some of the load off of T-Mobile.

Been tethering it to WG3526 which is an expensive router with a modem inside of it. Would like to hear how you been using this GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2? It would be way cheaper route to go for sure and smaller.
Do you put a rooter build on it?
Do you have a way to set the TTL uncapped tethering?

Thanks
terryjett

Re: Tether Phone to GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router

Post by terryjett »

Using stock, right from the box. It runs a form of Rooter. You can go into advanced menu and set TTL firewall much like we do on the we826.

I tether my Visible phone via USB directly to the gl-mt300n (link removed). I do not use the built-in wifi for much. What I have setup is a 4 port unmanaged switch (like link removed) hooked to gl-mt300n. Then my TV and few other devices are plugged into the 4port switch.

You do not need a switch, but makes it easier for my setup. Since the gl-mt300 has only one lan port, switch give little more.

Since we only stream in the evening, perfect to use the Visible unlimited hot spot function. I DO NOT recommend the ZTE Blade A3 they offer though, it is junk and if not close to tower, not good for streaming.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Thanks
Have you ever tried the Wi-Fi at all? What I interested in using it for.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

gscheb wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 am Thanks
Have you ever tried the Wi-Fi at all? What I interested in using it for.
Yes. It stays on all the time and connect to it with Roku. Jut do not use it for anything but media is what I should have said :) Not a very powerful box, so just dedicated to that one thing.

I have three of the little fellows, another in RV and another in box in RV as backup.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Great that is all I need is just the tv. Afraid T-Mobile might put the smack down for excessive use. Besides verizon should foot some of the data! Pay expensive cell phone plans and don't go anywhere anymore.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

gscheb wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:58 am Great that is all I need is just the tv. Afraid T-Mobile might put the smack down for excessive use. Besides verizon should foot some of the data! Pay expensive cell phone plans and don't go anywhere anymore.
Yea, same here. Took the streaming load off other plans to prevent a smack down.

We stream at least 2 hours every night of the week. Nice thing about the gl-mt300n is it can be moved in an instant.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello again,

Was wondering how you are getting around the 480P video throttling on Visible?
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

gscheb wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:45 am Hello again,

Was wondering how you are getting around the 480P video throttling on Visible?
Good question. I have never honestly paid much attention to what resolution the video is in. Have a 60 in Visio and always crystal clear streaming, great details with very little low res drops. If it does drop down, it is back within 15-20 seconds. Can't tell much difference between streaming and Dish satellite, so never really looked to see what resolution was.

I do have the TTL set though. Just like I do with the we826's (custom TTL).

Have also experienced same thing out on the road.

Some people say it (480) is not being enforced. I honestly do not know if TTL is helping. Once I got it setup few months back, it worked great and have not touched or given another thought:)
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Just checked streaming on Hulu and it is 1080. Having movie night outdoors and projecting to really large screen, looks great.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

terryjett wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:50 pm Just checked streaming on Hulu and it is 1080. Having movie night outdoors and projecting to really large screen, looks great.
Hello Again,
Was wondering if you have tried visible on other streaming services? Like Netflix and Amazon Prime.
My post pay verizon phone struggles with netflix and amazon. But does fine with hulu and cbs.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Have a roku and it has netflix, hulu and few others. Streams those fine. Here and there it buffers during prime time, but not bad and not every day. Have not tried amazon prime, it is just all around slow for us no matter what service connected too.

In our area, there is no way visible could be used for every day internet replacement. All towers are maxed out, but for watching some TV, not bad for us old folks :)

Few weekends back took it to lake house in boonies. One bar signal and still good enough to stream some hulu.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Signal strength isn't always the issue with my Verizon. It is those streaming 480 p limitations. Can't do Amazon prime at all without vpn. Haven't. Found reliable one yet either.
But did notice at uncle's house with visible seemed like it just worked for some reason.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

terryjett wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:21 am Using stock, right from the box. It runs a form of Rooter. You can go into advanced menu and set TTL firewall much like we do on the we826.

I tether my Visible phone via USB directly to the gl-mt300n (https://amzn.to/2K3DVkN). I do not use the built-in wifi for much. What I have setup is a 4 port unmanaged switch (like https://amzn.to/3pwGD2m) hooked to gl-mt300n. Then my TV and few other devices are plugged into the 4port switch.

You do not need a switch, but makes it easier for my setup. Since the gl-mt300 has only one lan port, switch give little more.

Since we only stream in the evening, perfect to use the Visible unlimited hot spot function. I DO NOT recommend the ZTE Blade A3 they offer though, it is junk and if not close to tower, not good for streaming.
Hello again,
With this set up are you getting capped at the 5 down? I finally ported my number from Verizon to Visible to try it out. On Verizon was tether my phone on a WG3526 at full capable speeds of the phone. Now with Visible it is capping me at that 5 down. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:35 pm Hello again,
With this set up are you getting capped at the 5 down? I finally ported my number from Verizon to Visible to try it out. On Verizon was tether my phone on a WG3526 at full capable speeds of the phone. Now with Visible it is capping me at that 5 down. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
Just got this to work. No longer capped at 5 down.
So when set up Visible SIM in a router needed TTL 64. For some reason with the phone tether needed 65. Put this into the firewall custom rules

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

gscheb wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:58 am Just got this to work. No longer capped at 5 down.
So when set up Visible SIM in a router needed TTL 64. For some reason with the phone tether needed 65. Put this into the firewall custom rules
Saw your post this morning and was just testing my setup. Since I do no use a full time internet connection, do not test the speeds often. If it streams shows to two tv's, never look at the actual download speed. But, mine too was capped at 5 down.

Visible has not in past enforced the 5 mbps cap and now that people are starting to use as their full time internet, they are enforcing the rule in most places.

Thanks for sharing your solution!
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Only had visible few days. Today they started throttling me 5 down and 5 up. On the phone itself. Not hotspot. On device data. Not supposed to do that. So turn on cloud flare warp app and started running at full speed again. Just testing out visible right now. My low in verizon plan didn't do that.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

Yea, I never said you could replace verizon with visible. There is no comparison except a truly unlimited hotspot. I thought you said you were just trying to get for streaming on a couple of devices.

If they throttle you on the phone, get on chat and they will fix that. Have had to do it a couple of times.

We use it to stream and do some calling. Mainly got to use for streaming while on the road and not a internet replacement. Do not care about speed if can stream:)
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well it is both. It is my phone and streaming couple of devices. Don't leave house much anymore working from home. Then when I do need to talk for my job we use teams meetings now. Don't use my phone much at all these days like used too. Drives me crazy to pay the money out for it anymore.

So the house hold started watching the living room tv on it, I also use it for a kindle and tablet. Then when I go far away like tonight (which isn't very often) take the phone with me.
We also have a lte router T-Mobile set up.

I am not against anything you said. Against what visible said. On website says no throttling on device itself. And mine starting doing it for some reason.
Not a huge deal totally works with the warp cloud flare on. Like clock work. Turn it off it is throttled. Turn it on back to full speed over and over.
Thanks for letting me know can contact them about being throttled on device didn't even think you could do that. Wonder if mine is different since it isn't a legit compatible phone of theirs. Entered the APN's manually to make it work.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

"I am not against anything you said. Against what visible said. On website says no throttling on device itself. And mine starting doing it for some reason."

All cool man, just did not want you to think I saying total internet replacement option :) Right now I am streaming homeland on hulu and wife is in another room watching something on sling. Great pictures and no buffering. Long as it doing that I never really check to see what speed getting.

We now have 4 phones on the party plan. Just last week had to hit them up on chat about the throttling on last one added. I do not know why it happens but it does. Not a fan of them (or their server) throttling me when not suppose too, but guess it just way it is. Guess they are getting back at me for streaming two devices at once, lol.

Keep us to date with your progress, really like to hear from others on Visible.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Ok,
Also switched to visible for the switch the lines deals. They have some deals going on right now. Need to find some people to get on part with. I am on it for trial basis. But my uncle been on it for over a year and don't plan on leaving and still paying full price.
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

I have never tried to party pay with others outside the family, but these is a reddit group:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VisiblePartyPay
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

terryjett wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:34 pm "I am not against anything you said. Against what visible said. On website says no throttling on device itself. And mine starting doing it for some reason."

All cool man, just did not want you to think I saying total internet replacement option :) Right now I am streaming homeland on hulu and wife is in another room watching something on sling. Great pictures and no buffering. Long as it doing that I never really check to see what speed getting.

We now have 4 phones on the party plan. Just last week had to hit them up on chat about the throttling on last one added. I do not know why it happens but it does. Not a fan of them (or their server) throttling me when not suppose too, but guess it just way it is. Guess they are getting back at me for streaming two devices at once, lol.

Keep us to date with your progress, really like to hear from others on Visible.
Hello again,
So I contacted Visible about phone being throttled they of course acted Coy like that wasn't a thing. But said they would try something on their end. Since that has worked great.
It literally has replaced my Verizon phone service just with higher pings.
Already got into a party pay line thru reddit should be paying $25 per month.
Awesome deal I think
terryjett

Post by terryjett »

gscheb wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:00 pm Hello again,
So I contacted Visible about phone being throttled they of course acted Coy like that wasn't a thing. But said they would try something on their end. Since that has worked great.
It literally has replaced my Verizon phone service just with higher pings.
Already got into a party pay line thru reddit should be paying $25 per month.
Awesome deal I think
Yea they act like "oh, that is bad - let me look at something":)

I really like Visible. It is Verizon without phone support (only chat or twitter) but much, much cheaper. We are basically testing the future for Verizon by using the service.

The ping can be a little irritating at times, but I can live with it. It is also irritating with the speeds at times, but unlimited all you can eat makes up for it.

Had to take emergency trip to Alabama (from TX) and never once was I without service. Interstate was of course covered, but we deep country Alabama and still have great service.

Party pay rocks!
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Thought would put in my streaming experience with VISIBLE. Works perfect with Netflix, Hulu and CBS all access. Have issues with amazon prime video. Gets pixelated most of the time. Then every once in awhile works fine.
A vpn would work. Honestly never had good luck with VPN on my fire cube. Works one time then another doesn't.
For now when we watch prime switch over to T-Mobile data.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

terryjett wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:21 pm I have never tried to party pay with others outside the family, but these is a reddit group:

https://www.reddit.com/r/VisiblePartyPay
Hello,
Now got my uncle and I hooked up with party pay thru reddit with strangers.
Also just got a GL,INET GL-AR150-XXX from santa. First one of these kind of routers ever had. Have to try it out yet.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello again update,
OK so went and hooked up my visible phone to this and was getting the 5 up and down on it. Then in the GL.INET firmware went to "more settings" "advanced"
Then it opened another window to log into. Some kind of open wrt firmware. User name auto filled with root. The password is the same password you set up for the admin login on the GL.INET firmware.
After got to there went to "network" "firewall" "custom rules"
Removed everything that was in there and replaced it with.

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules

Then clicked "restart firewall"
After that had full speeds no longer limited to 5 up and down.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:41 am Thought would put in my streaming experience with VISIBLE. Works perfect with Netflix, Hulu and CBS all access. Have issues with amazon prime video. Gets pixelated most of the time. Then every once in awhile works fine.
A vpn would work. Honestly never had good luck with VPN on my fire cube. Works one time then another doesn't.
For now when we watch prime switch over to T-Mobile data.
Hello again,
New update on this video resolution with Visible. After buying vpn 4 times finally found one that works with everything. Nord VPN works with everything I have tried with so far.
Tried it with:
Netflix, Hulu, CBS all access, prime video, acorn tv, youtube.
This is the first VPN have seen work with all of these so can just turn it on and leave it on. This is day one of this. Will post update if stops working on one of these.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Ok so finally got my hands on one of these and I can say they work beautifully. So I have verizon as phone service got my phone tethered to this now my ttl settings should it be 64 or 65?
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Also what is the switch button for?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

punkguy00017 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:05 pm Also what is the switch button for?
Think has something to do with Tor Or VPN. To turn it on and off.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

punkguy00017 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:47 pm Ok so finally got my hands on one of these and I can say they work beautifully. So I have verizon as phone service got my phone tethered to this now my ttl settings should it be 64 or 65?
Hello,
Follow the instructions from this just above.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... 777#p15672

But paste in this instead for Verizon phone.

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i usb0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end TTL rules
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Yup did all that yesterday
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

punkguy00017 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:42 pm Yup did all that yesterday
Did that work?
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

It works if ttl set to 64
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

On a Verizon phone? My verizon phone with Rooter worked with 117. My visible phone works with 65. Weird
These little routers are great.
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Yup with ttl 117 my speeds were drastically slow changed to ttl 64 got excellent speeds
hydrocynus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hydrocynus »

I just pinged 8.8.8.8 on my cell phone and I get a TTL of 114... When tethered onto my Pac, pinging shows 113 (114-1). Does that mens I need to set my TTL on the GLINET router at 115?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Verizon has been known to use 117 or so. Worth a try.

Return to “GL.iNet”