Router, modem and antenna questions

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Speckul8tor
Been thanked: 0

Router, modem and antenna questions

Post by Speckul8tor »

We currently have LTE internet through an ATT third party that has become unusable with little or no support so I am looking for alternatives. I'm new to this but have been reading and learning on these forums and Facebook groups and reasonably comfortable with techie stuff..

A little background: I live in a rural mountain area on top of a ridge with many trees between us and cell towers. Verizon and ATT are the providers with best signal here. Nearest Verizon tower is 1.5-2 miles from our house. We currently have Verizon phones. The best signal we get is -101 to -110 with download speeds of 1-3GB most of the time but up to 25 depending greatly on time of day. We don't have the option for LTE home internet directly from any of the providers based on our address.

I ordered the WG3526-p and Quectal EP06-A from The Wireless Haven last night. I tried to send a message for some help with choices but the message isn't submitting through the website so I decided to place the order anyhow. I also ordered a Visible SIM card so I can try it out since it's $20 for the first month and no activation fees. After reading more on forums today I am wondering if I should go with a different modem based on discussions of configuration difficulties for Visible.

Also, I'm looking for recommendations for external antenna(s). We have a tall 3 story house with a deck on the top floor about 40' off the ground on the side closest to the Verizon towers so I think I have some good location options.

Thanks in advance
Didneywhorl

Re: Router, modem and antenna questions

Post by Didneywhorl »

You should do just fine with the Visible SIM. Make sure you activate it in a phone first.

The issues people have had with Verizon the most are using Verizon direct phone SIMs for data, and wondering why it isnt working for super cheap unlimited whole house Terabytes a month data. The other issues are the SimpleMobile/MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) plans that are blocking modem device IDs and are also now capped at 200GB a month.

Visible seems to be the easiest to work with from what I've read.

The other option I have seen is Verizon tablet SIM, though again you should have a device that is for the service and activate the SIM in that device that you own yourself.
gscheb

Re: Router, modem and antenna questions

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Might as well give the Visible a try. Like you say it is cheap enough. If you keep and want party pay let me know need to get my uncle on a party pay save $.
Far as antenna just put it in front of the glass near that 3rd story patio to test it out. See how it goes. If not good enough then upgrade to antenna. Take one step at a time. One thing with Verizon they can be bad about de-prioritization.
Here is a link to set up the Quectel on Visible.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32 ... lit#p11658

Return to “General and Unclassified”