Denial of service because modem is not VOIP enabled

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
BlackBart
Been thanked: 0

Denial of service because modem is not VOIP enabled

Post by BlackBart »

I am using a MOFI4500 SIM7 Router on a StraighTalk BYOD Sim Card using verizon. After activating the SIM and configuring the Router, I attempted to initiate service. Modem diagnostics showed that the device was registered on Cell Service and I could see the Internet LED flash periodically attempting to initate service. I could see the router was reading the SIM card and displaying the SIM ID, etc. I was using the IMEI of the router. After repeated calls to StraightTalk, I finally got someone who knew how to check Verizon Cell to learn why service was being denied by using their system logs. Service was being denied because my device was not VOIP enabled.
My question is: Can an LTE provider read the IMEI directly from the connecting device or is it only seeing the IMEI number that is entered as part of the configuration? If so, can I spoof Verizon by using and EMEI of my cell phone that is VOIP compliant to get service? All advice appreciated. :cry:
tvecell
Has thanked: 0

Re: Denial of service because modem is not VOIP enabled

Post by tvecell »

Devices send their IMEI when registering to the network. On some you can "repair" the IMEI, on others you can't.
The thing I wanted to mention to you is that Verizon is very picky (to use a polite word) about the devices. I believe it depends on the MVNO, but for most you have to have a "phone" to use their Verizon SIM, not any other type of device. I wonder whether you misunderstood and they told you that you needed to have a VoLTE capable phone, 'cause that's the latest requirement... Also, Verizon will not activate a device that is on another network, so if your phone is associated with a SIM on T-Mobile, Verizon will not let it, at least that has been my recent experience (and days of nightmares to get that sorted out).

Return to “General and Unclassified”