Custom Modem/Router

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
jcarver81
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Custom Modem/Router

Post by jcarver81 »

Question for all the gurus

I live in a very rural area, the nearest tower (T-Mobile/AT&T band 12) is 3.5 miles south of me with moderate tree coverage. I have a Yagi antenna (700-900mhz) and a signal booster. Using this I'm able to get about 20mbps down and 2-5mbps up on my cell phone. I'm looking to build a custom router/modem to use this external antenna to provide internet to my cabin. Currently have Centurylink DSL 7mb/1mb and it's spotty at best.

Using the mini-pc linked below with a minipcie LTE modem card could I create a modem/router that will work with T-Mobile/AT&T LTE signals?? What additional equipment would I need?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WF ... TF8&psc=1

Code: Select all

MI3160N MINI PC Datasheet:
Dimension:156*128*48mm(L*H*W)
Packaging dimension:270*230*90mm
Weight:2Kg
Power Consumption:10W
Onboard CPU:Intel Baswell Processor N3160 quad-core 1.6 GHz,Up to 2.24 GHz
Memory:Support DDR3L 1333/1600 MHz,1.35V 1 x DDR3L DIMM
Memory Slot Max. Supports up to 8GB Memory
Hard Disk:support MSATA SSD and 2.5 inch SATA HDD
Onboard VGA:Intel HD Graphics
Onboard LAN:2 * Realtek 8111E 10/100/1000 Controller
Audio Solution:Realtek ALC662 6-Channel HD Audio

Front-Panel Connectors:
power on/off button
Power LED
2 x USB 2.0 Ports
2 x USB 3.0 Ports

Internal Connectors:
1 x Minipcie port (for mSATA SSD)
1 x Minipcie port (for WIFI/BLUETOOTH/3G/4G Module)
1 x DDR3 DIMM Memory Slot
1 x SIM card Slot
1 x SATA Port
1 x SATA power header
1 x Front panel header
1 x Front panel audio header
1 x Front panel USB header
1 x Automatically boot jumper

Back-Panel Connectors:
1 xDV 12V DC input
2 x HDMI Video Connectors
2 x RJ-45 Ports
2 x USB 3.0 Ports
1 x Speak Out Connector
1 x Mic In Connector
1 x VGA port
1 x COM port
Didneywhorl

Re: Custom Modem/Router

Post by Didneywhorl »

You could if you know Linux really well and know how to turn a Linux pc into a router. All you would need is the right drivers for the modems, which is almost included at this point. Or you could buy a gateway router with an M.2 or mPCIE interface and be "nearly" plug and play with openWRT/modemmanger or Goldenorb/Rooter as firmware for the router.

A great modem for Tmobile right now is the Sierra EM7411, as it supports B71 and most all the major bands. It also supports uplink carrier aggregation (2x) as well as 2x downlink

You could pop this in the NEXQ6GO-M router with a mini PCIE adapter for the modem and be basically good to go.

If you want more power. Then the WiFiX WG3526 router has gigabit LAN and more power, still need the adapter, and some MHF4 antenna pigtails for the smaller antenna ports on the modem. The WG1608V2 router is about the same as the WG3526 except it is M.2 modem ready and is ready for 4x4 MIMO modems as well as setup to accept the larger 3050 form factor of 5G modems.

There's so many options :) Haven't even gotten to antennas.
jcarver81

Post by jcarver81 »

Thanks for the options. I'm trying to use what hardware I have with minimal extra purchases. I can't seem to find ANY info on this mini-pc. It has 2 mini PCI-E ports (one is in use for the 32GB SSD I have installed), a SIM card slot, 8GB of ram, a decently fast Celeron processor. I was using it for a PFsense router with hardware accelerated VPN support and it performed very well in that task. I'd like to be able to put a mini PCI-E LTE modem card in it, connect the existing antenna/booster setup I have directly to it, and be able to connect via ethernet to the rest of my cabin's network and have it work. I'm just not sure what modem/adapters I need to do so.
jcarver81

Post by jcarver81 »

Here is the motherboard.
61DO9fPfahL._SS1000_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Looks like it has a mini pcie interface and a SIM card holder.

Might take a mini pcie modem directly. Most of the modems are easy to get support in Linux, then its just a matter of getting the right commands to the modem, or install modemmanger if its supported in your by your kernel. Im no expert there.

Otherwise Id say a modem enclosure like these: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/
or
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/m-2-ng ... card-slot/

Then a modem like these: https://thewirelesshaven.com/product-category/modems/

Shouldn't take much else to get rockin.
jcarver81

Post by jcarver81 »

Did a little more research today. Connecting on bands 2 and 12. Slow speeds on B12 (700a) with high signal and faster speeds on B2 (1900g) with only 2 bars (using a 700mhz yagi) would I gain anything with a better antenna focusing on B2 1900 mhz instead of B12?? Or would adding a second antenna in the 1900mhz range give me better signal?

This is all new to me so sorry for the questions if the answers are obvious.
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

If you are in the boonies, it’s all about the antenna and their placement.
LTE wants at least two antenna.
If you do have a single Yagi antenna with booster, put them in a box.
Yagi and LPDA labels are commonly intermixed together but they are not the same.
A good LPDA will give you a much broader set of frequencies, appropriate for LTE.
Especially if you want the B71 of T-Mobile for rural.
So you need two antennas, either high gain panel, LPDA, or parabolic.
I will leave off the list, omnidirectional due to their low gain.
jcarver81

Post by jcarver81 »

Here is the tower I'm connecting to:
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 7.36.42 AM.png
The only bands the tower has is B2 and B12 on 1900mhz and 700mhz respectively so B71 is a moot point.

Here is the single antenna I am using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006 ... UTF8&psc=1

Would it be beneficial to get a second antenna geared towards the 1900mhz band? Or, do both antennas need to be able to pick up both frequencies? I'm testing all of this with a Netgear LB1120 which at the moment has a Y adapter from the T9 ports to a single SMA connector.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Combining both antenna ports with a Y connector is not recommended.
LTE wants spatially diverse antenna, and cross polarized.
Most recommend that both antenna should be the same, and should support all your frequency bands.
jcarver81

Post by jcarver81 »

Gotcha. Going to pick up a second matched LPDA antenna. Question re: signal amplifiers - Is it beneficial to run an amplifier on one of the antennas or will that cause issues having one amplified and one not?
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I have not heard of anyone having good results with antennas that weren't matched, meaning its not recommended to have only one amplified.
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Booster is good for a phone desperate to make a voice call.
Boosters are not recommended for direct router connections.
You current antenna is a Yagi that does not support both bands you are targeting.
You may want to research antenna options some more.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

R1250GSA wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:06 pm Booster is good for a phone desperate to make a voice call.
Boosters are not recommended for direct router connections.
Basically you use a booster setup OR you use a mimo setup

The two setups are pretty much mutually exclusive to one one another, meaning a booster can only utilize a single antenna and you would "connect" your router to it wirelessly OR you use 2 antennas and connect to your router directly via cabling?

Each setup has its own strengths and weaknesses. There is a video on youtube from an RV couple that compares the 2 setups, I just cant find the link ATM.
jcarver81

Post by jcarver81 »

Adm1jtg wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:41 am ...a booster can only utilize a single antenna and you would "connect" your router to it wirelessly OR you use 2 antennas and connect to your router directly via cabling?
A cell booster yes, but I'm speaking of using just the amplifier itself.

I would still direct connect the amplifier using SMA ended cables directly to the modem/router but I see your point. I could do two boosters and two antennas but that could get pricey.
61H-o-DNl7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I wouldn't hook one directly into your moderm. If you ask Wilson about that configuration they will tell you that you will likely damage your router as boosters boost 65db and the average router is only made to take about 15db through the antenna ports. While I don't believe you would do permanent damage I can't help but notice that I have never seen it recommended under any circumstance in any forum.

Also if your wanting mimo the only way to do it with a booster is to double everything, 2 boosters, 2 antennas, seperate runs of cable.

Now I am in the minority here for sure but I have a single Antenna booster setup that for me works great. I have posted about it on another thread. If you care i can find it and link you to it
jcarver81

Post by jcarver81 »

Is that why my Netgear LB1120 said I had -44db signal when I tried it? hah!

Return to “General and Unclassified”