Double modems double speed?

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Eubanks.j
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Double modems double speed?

Post by Eubanks.j »

Finally got my wg826 with an em7455 set up on visible. Speeds went from 5mbps with simple mobile to 25+ with visible. We all know that it's never good enough. So now I'm tossing around the idea of building another wg826 and em7455 to put another visible sim in. What upsides am I looking at? Would it double the speeds, or just double my bandwidth?
toddw

Re: Double modems double speed?

Post by toddw »

I run two routers, with different carriers/towers. I have both run into a USG Pro4 with load balancing enabled. It does not do WAN bonding, but it does load balance across the two routers/modems and it also fails over to one if the other one experiences an outage.

There are WAN bonding setups you can utilize out there, there are also rules you can setup to route one type of traffic over the other.

TP Link makes affordable gateways that do load balancing as well that folks on this site have used.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

It is rather complicated but the short answer is no it will not double your speed or double your bandwidth (which is just a fancy way of saying D/L, U/L speed). If you have a max data allotment than having two accounts would double your total data amount.

There are ways to divide the work of transferring data between two sources and two receivers but it requires much more than a simple two modem setup.
Eubanks.j
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Eubanks.j »

So smart money would be to invest in better modem/antennas for the current setup? I have "unlimited" data so I don't really need to split it up. And I'm honestly kinda dumb so I probably couldn't figure out how to split it.
toddw

Post by toddw »

I didn't know unlimited existed in the LTE world, j/k. Your modem is a CAT6 modem right? Meaning it maxes out at 2xCA? Upgrade options are as follows:

1. External antennas with good LMR200 or LMR400 cable.
2. Change out the modem to a CAT7, 12, 18 or 20
3. Depending on what you do with option 2, you could go 4xMIMO

What is your signal strength now? Do you know where your tower is? You can look it up on cellmapper.net.

Return to “General and Unclassified”