Help with Verizon Setup

Topics on Service Providers, Deals, Options, Etc.
Forum rules
No internet reseller is permitted to market their services. No Exceptions.
TShlew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help with Verizon Setup

Post by TShlew »

Hey all! I am in desperate need of some assistance. I am getting ready to move to my new rural home where internet options are limited to the traditional satellite companies (which just won't cut it). However, there is good LTE coverage for Verizon (50+ Mb/s download on my phone). What do I need to do to set up a router to provide unlimited high speed internet at my home using Verizon? Which plan should I purchase? What devices do I need? How do I need to tweak parameters to make it work? I basically need a complete walkthrough... This is brand new territory for me, so any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.
gscheb

Re: Help with Verizon Setup

Post by gscheb »

Hello
What kind of activity so you plan on doing with it? Any gaming? Is ping important to you?
This 50 down on your phone is that inside this new home you got that?
Would you be willing to thether your own phone?
Or do you want a dedicated setup just for WiFi access for house devices?
Are there any TMobile towers around the area?
TShlew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TShlew »

gscheb wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:00 pm Hello
What kind of activity so you plan on doing with it? Any gaming? Is ping important to you?
This 50 down on your phone is that inside this new home you got that?
Would you be willing to thether your own phone?
Or do you want a dedicated setup just for WiFi access for house devices?
Are there any TMobile towers around the area?
As far as activity, primarily streaming and working with somewhat large data files. I do game some, but that is a little lower on the priority list. I can get by without it until Starlink comes available.

Yes, we were able to achieve 50 down from inside the home. The area does have solid LTE coverage for Verizon and AT&T. I was able to verify both with iPhones. The T-Mobile coverage maps indicate that the property falls within LTE range, but I have not had access to a T-Mobile device to verify strength of signal and speeds. I would prefer to set up through Verizon (my phone provider) or AT&T.

I would like a dedicated WiFi setup for the devices in my home. Multiple smart TVs, Xbox's, and laptops.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

If you go the Visible route don't thing gaming will work. High ping rates. If you think the 50 down is enough for you might want to just try tethering a phone. Could have dedicated phone for this effort. (might be worth a try especially if you have an extra phone already laying around)
Have you ever tried to run speedtest on phone but purposely go to window or side of the house toward the tower? And if there is an upstairs might want to try it on second level to see if you get better than 50.
When you say that you are working with somewhat large files mean you are saving outside your computer to remote place? If so will need upload speed to do that. What is your upload speed? If that might be a concern for you?
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Would also recommend to read these two post to just get better understanding of the process.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=37 ... 8621&hilit

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1888

Return to “Internet Service Providers”