Load balancing rules not recognized for downstream network ip addresses

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
ghostpepper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Load balancing rules not recognized for downstream network ip addresses

Post by ghostpepper »

Hope someone can help point me in the right direction to fix this issue. My problem is that ip addresses in load balancing rules aren't recognized for a subnetwork downstream of my LTE router.

I have a WG3526 router and a Quectel EM12 modem running GoldenOrb_2020-03-01 (OpenWrt 18.06.7). The WG3526 sits in between my AT&T Uverse router (used strictly as an internet gateway) and a home network router (a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4). The WG3526 lan interface is setup as a static address 192.168.10.1 and the downstream EdgeRouter is connected to the WG3526 via DHCP. All DHCP assigned ip addresses served from the EdgeRouter are in the 192.168.1.0/24 range.

Three policies are set up under load balancing on the WG3526: only use the wired (AT&T) connection (wan interface), only use the EM12 LTE modem (wan1 interface), or use both (balanced).

Load balancing rules work when I use a destination address like this "0.0.0.0/0" but not when I use a specific destination address like "192.168.1.51".

What do I have to do to get the load balancing rules to recognize the downstream EdgeRouter ip addresses?
ghostpepper

Re: Load balancing rules not recognized for downstream network ip addresses

Post by ghostpepper »

Based on this serverfault post https://serverfault.com/questions/49301 ... erent-lans I created a static IPv4 route on the WG3526:

Interface: lan
Target: 192.168.1.0
IPv4-Netmask: 255.255.255.0
IPv4-Gateway: 192.168.10.2
Metric: 1
MTU: 1472
Route type: local

Under DHCP and DNS, I created a static lease to the EdgeRouter with the address 192.168.10.2

The intention was for the WG3526 to direct all traffic for 192.168.1.* via 192.168.10.2

Unfortunately, these steps don't fix the problem of 192.168.1.* addresses not being recognized by load balancing rules.
ghostpepper

Post by ghostpepper »

I can't believe there aren't other users who don't have a similar setup and want to use similar rules. Did I configure something wrong? Maybe I'm asking the impossible? Anyone have any comments or ideas?
toddw

Post by toddw »

I run two routers, one 826 with EP06A on ATT running the March release of golden orb. The second is a 3526 with 7411 on TMobile running the March release of golden orb (I have 3 other routers that are still in R&D that swap in for testing) I have a Ubiquiti USG-PRO-4 gateway with cloudkey. I run my load balancing there due to its heavier processing power. I also am able to create device groups with different bandwidth profiles to better manage what I have.

Your router supports load balancing , here is the how to guide...

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/2 ... -Balancing

Once setup, I would then put a Wireless AP on Eth3 setup as a lan port. This would be a cleaner setup and keep the load off your routers and give you better wifi.

On my setup, I went all in on ubiquiti, so I have two ubiquiti switches slung off of it, with POE and running a full outdoor and indoor mesh system that lights up over 2.5 acres.

You can find ubiquiti AP's cheap on ebay that you can use off the second port. You can run unify controller on a PC, you do not have to run it on a cloudkey to save some coin.

For what its worth...

Return to “ZBT Routers”