LTE Modem / E20 or EM7565

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
zac2424

LTE Modem / E20 or EM7565

Post by zac2424 »

Hey,

Looking to upgrade my system to improve my LTE speeds. I currently have a MOFI4500 with EM7455 which works pretty good (40-50up/15-20 down). I have 2 yagi antennas on the roof that run into 2 Wilson M2M Iot boosters, then into the MOFI in the basement. Antenna to booster is around 40' of RG6 quad shielded cable. I know when I shorten the cable length down to less than 10' my speeds where better (this was pre IoT boosters).

What I'm thinking...

Build a router with either the EM7565 or EM20(preferably) to increase lte speeds/performance. Would like one with gig ethernet (MOFI is only 100mb ethernet, and would bottleneck if i got speeds much higher i think). My original thought was buy a generic rack mount case and build the router/modem in that, but think I want to mount in attic much closer to antennas for less db loss. I can then connect my Cat6 from modem/router down to my rack mounted router/switches/ap's etc. Then I'd get 2 more yagi's for the 4x4 mimo setup. It does get hot here in the summer and below freezing in winter, so need to keep in mind since it'll be in the attic.

Any ideas or experience with any of the above would be appreciated! And sorry for the long post.
zac2424

Modem Upgrade

Post by zac2424 »

Hey,

Looking to upgrade my stock MOFI4500 to a custom setup. I'm considering the EM20 and EM7565 for this purpose but not sure the best route to take.

Currently I have:

2 yagi's > 40' of RG6 cable > 2x Wilson IoT boosters > Mofi4500 > Edgerouter4 > rest of my network.

Getting around 40-50 down and 15-20 up which isn't bad. Really wanting to try out a newer Cat12 or higher modem, thus the 2 options above. I like having the MOFI in the basement in my server rack... but i know i get better speeds when I connect the antennas to the MOFI in the attic at closer to 7-10' of RG6 instead of 40', so open to the idea of building a router to leave in the attic, and use Cat6 to connect down to the ER4 in the basement.

Really just looking for input on what others have and done and if there are any thoughts on the modem choices above and what case/router to use. I really don't need the routing functionality as i'd just be passing through the connection to my ER4 to handle all that. So... i've also toyed with the idea of using a raspberry pi 4 connected to either modem to pass to ER4.

Only real stipulations are :

want gig ethernet connection to ER4
Prefer Cat12 or higher modem

Any input would be wonderful! Too many choices to decide... :D
Didneywhorl

Re: LTE Modem / E20 or EM7565

Post by Didneywhorl »

I merged your posts into one. Edit it if you want. I didn't want any details lost between the two.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

First. The EM20 is a product no longer made. You'll have to get a rare new one or find a used one. The EM160 is soon to release and all the latest "5G" modems are 4x4 MIMO. That or the Telit LM960A18, Sierra 7690, and some of the SIMCOM and Fibocom modems are 4x4 MIMO. I only have experience so far with Quectel and Telits offerings. The Sierra is so new its hard to get at a reasonable price.

You will definitely want to get away from long antenna cables and the boosters to be honest, at least for the data side. Unless you are locked to a single band and they are made for that band. If that is the case then wide band antennas are a waste of money on low dbi. Narrow band antennas are much more powerful. If you don't have true line of sight, then a flat panel directional antenna will likely work better for you than a yagi or LPDA antenna.

For the 4x4 MIMO and ease of setup You could go with the WG1608 router, with is setup and ready for M.2 modems and 4 LTE antennas with the right antenna pigtials inside for M.2 modems. Gigabit LAN, etc etc. Get a 2.5A or 3A power supply though. 4x4 MIMO modems are hungry.

Ole faithful is the WG3526P
Youll have to add 2 more pigtails and change them all to MHF4. The WG3526P is setup with U.fl pigtials for older mini PCIE modems. You'll also need a mini PCIE to M.2 adapter board to get any M.2 modem (like the ones you mentioned) to work in the WG3526P.

The bonus to the WG3526P is that you can power it via 48V poe+

You can also power the WG1608V2 over POE with a 12V 3A poe splitter, if you have 48V poe to power it.

On and on and on I can go. :)
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

You don't mention what carrier and what bands you are using.
And if you experience any carrier aggregation already.
And the LPDA(hopefully not yagi) antenna may have frequency gaps, as you try to maximize your 4x4 MIMO and CA.
zac2424

Post by zac2424 »

Verizon and my best luck is locking on B2, but I receive several bands. See screen shot. The MOFI is super finicky with CA... B2 is my strongest band, but B13 and B4 are also pretty good. B4 will often go to 20mhz I can get even better speeds, but it'll jump between 5 and 20mhz all the time making it act funky. CA will never lock on B2 as primary or secondary for some reason.
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 12.55.20 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zac2424

Post by zac2424 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:21 pm First. The EM20 is a product no longer made. You'll have to get a rare new one or find a used one. The EM160 is soon to release and all the latest "5G" modems are 4x4 MIMO. That or the Telit LM960A18, Sierra 7690, and some of the SIMCOM and Fibocom modems are 4x4 MIMO. I only have experience so far with Quectel and Telits offerings. The Sierra is so new its hard to get at a reasonable price.

You will definitely want to get away from long antenna cables and the boosters to be honest, at least for the data side. Unless you are locked to a single band and they are made for that band. If that is the case then wide band antennas are a waste of money on low dbi. Narrow band antennas are much more powerful. If you don't have true line of sight, then a flat panel directional antenna will likely work better for you than a yagi or LPDA antenna.

For the 4x4 MIMO and ease of setup You could go with the WG1608 router, with is setup and ready for M.2 modems and 4 LTE antennas with the right antenna pigtials inside for M.2 modems. Gigabit LAN, etc etc. Get a 2.5A or 3A power supply though. 4x4 MIMO modems are hungry.

Ole faithful is the WG3526P
Youll have to add 2 more pigtails and change them all to MHF4. The WG3526P is setup with U.fl pigtials for older mini PCIE modems. You'll also need a mini PCIE to M.2 adapter board to get any M.2 modem (like the ones you mentioned) to work in the WG3526P.

The bonus to the WG3526P is that you can power it via 48V poe+

You can also power the WG1608V2 over POE with a 12V 3A poe splitter, if you have 48V poe to power it.

On and on and on I can go. :)
Hey,

Thanks. I think I'm going to try the 1608 and Sierra 7565 since it's back in stock. With the 48v POE adapter it should simplify my install as well. I have a sim card working on Verizon currently in my Mofi4500, has anyone had issues just swapping it over into a similar setup? Thanks!

Zac

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”