T-Mobile Band 71

Topics Related to Cell Towers, Frequencies and Bands
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
jasonw
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

T-Mobile Band 71

Post by jasonw »

The tower nearest me just bumped B71 from 5mhz to 10mhz.

My download speeds have more than doubled.

This was a pleasant surprise.

LTE Band : B71 (Bandwidth 10 MHz Down | 10 MHz Up)
Dr-BroadBand

Re: T-Mobile Band 71

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Yep band-71 is the rural internet little secret, not supper fast but dependable. I have seen 30Mbs if you find the correct tower!

With the low 600MHz that travels well through trees and since it’s NEW not may modem or phone have that band. So there is more bandwidth for the people who do.

The trick is finding an antenna the can handle 600MHz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Well thats good news, but don't trust that it will stay that way.

I read an article on how Tmobile had borrowed /leased additional B71 spectrum due to the pandemic, which is great, but it could fade away again. In that article they discussed how they had a static configuration of how much bandwidth goes to 4G and to 5G, and how they were able to change this with the additional temporary bandwidth.

I was hoping their technology was more dynamic/realtime in their allocation of 4G/5G bandwidth within each band. (a separate article, but the technology does exist out there)
thejohnfist

Post by thejohnfist »

I really doubt they'll let go of B71. Pandemic is a short term event. Having network capacity benefits you for decades and 600mhz gives them vast reach to compete with the other two.
R1250GSA

Post by R1250GSA »

Sorry for the confusion. I though I was clear.
They ADDED more of the B71 that they don't own so that extra portion could go away in the future.

Here is the article guts, from March:
------------------------------
T-Mobile will borrow spectrum in the 600MHz band from Dish, Comcast, and other companies to boost mobile bandwidth during the coronavirus pandemic. The Federal Communications Commission yesterday granted T-Mobile temporary authority to use the spectrum for the next 60 days.

FURTHER READING
T-Mobile dominates spectrum auction, will boost LTE network across US
T-Mobile already has 600MHz-band licenses throughout the United States from a spectrum auction in April 2017. In that auction, T-Mobile spent $8 billion for 45 percent of the available spectrum, amounting to an average of 31MHz in each market. Dish spent $6.2 billion in that auction while Comcast spent $1.7 billion.

T-Mobile uses its 600MHz spectrum for both 4G and 5G. But unlike the millimeter-wave spectrum that has factored heavily into early 5G deployments, 600MHz is low-band spectrum that is suitable for covering large, sparsely populated areas.

"The FCC is dedicated to helping Americans work from home, learn at home, and connect remotely to health care professionals during this crisis," FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said in yesterday's announcement. "I would like to thank all of the companies that agreed to make their spectrum available for this important effort—Dish, Comcast, NewLevel, LB License Co, Channel 51, Omega, Bluewater, and TStar License Holdings."

In addition to helping people work at home, the FCC said that "T-Mobile also indicated that this authority would enable it to be prepared to meet the needs of first responders."

Before the auction, the 600MHz spectrum was held by TV broadcasters. Comcast bought the spectrum to supplement its mobile service, which primarily resells access to the Verizon Wireless network. Dish has been buying spectrum for years without deploying any mobile service of its own. But Dish has a plan to replace Sprint as the fourth major carrier, in part with spectrum licenses that it will acquire from T-Mobile when the T-Mobile/Sprint merger closes. But for the next 60 days, T-Mobile will be using Dish's spectrum instead of vice versa.T-Mobile to deploy “within days”

In a blog post Saturday, T-Mobile said it "expect[s] to rapidly place this additional spectrum into service within days" of receiving FCC approval.

"We've also expanded roaming access for Sprint customers to use the T-Mobile network," T-Mobile said. "With expanded roaming access [at] tens of thousands of locations nationwide, schools and families connected to Sprint's network will have expanded coverage and capacity—including in rural areas—over the next 60 days."

T-Mobile announced Friday that it is suspending data caps for 60 days, upgrading everyone to unlimited data. T-Mobile said it is also giving all customers "an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot/tethering service for the next 60 days." Sprint is taking identical steps. T-Mobile hasn't announced any changes to its deprioritization policies, which slow down users in congested network areas after they've used a set amount of data. On unlimited plans, users get 50GB per month before facing potential slowdowns.

All the biggest home and mobile Internet providers also signed a pledge to waive late fees and keep customers connected when they miss payments due to the coronavirus pandemic. The pledge companies will also open Wi-Fi hotspots to the public.

T-Mobile said it will monitor network usage and take steps, including deploying more spectrum, as needed:

Since some people seem to be confused this is in regards to LTE band 71.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_frequency_bands

What might be confusing is that in most areas a single entity doesn't own the entire band. Band 71 is 35 MHz uplink and 35 MHz downlink for 70 MHz total split into 7 sub bands of 10 Mhz each. T-Mobile is the largest licensee but they don't own all 70 MHz. So in one market T-Mobile might have 50 MHz available, in another market they might have only 20 MHz.

The deal gives T-Mobile temporary access to the sub-bands used by other licensees. That means in an area where T-Mobile previously only had 20 MHz available they now have 70 MHz. More bandwidth means more throughput on the tower for customers to use.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... 060%20days.
thejohnfist

Post by thejohnfist »

Why in the world does comcast use 600mhz? Dish i understand.
toddw

Post by toddw »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:38 am Yep band-71 is the rural internet little secret, not supper fast but dependable. I have seen 30Mbs if you find the correct tower!

With the low 600MHz that travels well through trees and since it’s NEW not may modem or phone have that band. So there is more bandwidth for the people who do.

The trick is finding an antenna the can handle 600MHz
I have found 4 antennas that support Band 71, living out in the country/mountains, its been a game changer. I have used these with solid results...

RSRF Yagi 5G
RSRF Panel 2xMIMO 5G
Bolton 26db parabolic
ShureCall Yagi 5G

All support 600MHz and work solid. Its at 10MHz where I'm at too, I have seen it as high as 41.2Mbps and with Carrier Aggregation with Band 2 or 4 on a Sierra 7411, I've seen it get well above 50 even with a less than optimal signal.

Return to “Towers, Frequencies and Bands”