WE826GO-U not detecting the modem(EM7511)

Topics related to WiFiX branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Poorguyyy

WE826GO-U not detecting the modem(EM7511)

Post by Poorguyyy »

Hi guys,

First off, I am having a headache on the setup right now and hopefully, some of you had the experience or answer to share with me, thank you so much and appreciate it.

So here's the story, Last week I have bought the router, adapters from The Wireless Haven and last but not least, a EM7511 from amazon to setup with my verizon sim to replace my old cradlepoint setup. Everything worked out just fine on the first two days, modem detected and firmware upgraded(lastest generic verison) through airvantage but one thing is still bugging me and that is the hotspot usage being detected eventhough I set 117 on the firewall-> custom TTL setting, so I immediately came here and search for the information. I then figured out I should use the custom TTL rule shared on forum which is

Code: Select all

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 117
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 117
#end TTL rules
I entered these rules into custom rules tab, saved and reboot the router. Things are still going smooth at this point, able to browse the web except I cant do a speedtest on ookla website which makes me think I did something wrong with the rules so I deleted the rules and nightmare started. After I rebooted the router after deleting the rules I entered, the router cannot detect the modem and wouldn't allow me to even enter AT-Command(kept refreshing the column). I then immediately factory reset the router but problem still exists, so I go to my friend and borrowed his EM7565 but still, not detecting the modem. I am stucking here and have no idea how is that happening in all the sudden, did I messed up the router or the modem? If any of you have any idea, please feel free to share with me, thank you so much.

*One extra question, I am not sure if it is suppose to be asked here though, let me know if I shouldn't and I will delete this part. I have one att ipad plan sim so I took it out from my ipad and inserted it to my modem when it was still working but couldn't connect to the internet even I entered "broadband" or "phone" into the APN setting. Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks.
Poorguyyy

Re: WE826GO-U not detecting the modem(EM7511)

Post by Poorguyyy »

Updates:
Able to connect to internet after flashing in recovery mode but still unable to enter at commands, anybody has clue of how to solve this? Thank you so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

I am sorry don't know how to fix this. Had the same issue and gave up and sent the modems back to Aliexpress. Wonder if that is where yours came from initially. Do they look dented on the outside? If so they probably did.
Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy »

gscheb wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:31 am I am sorry don't know how to fix this. Had the same issue and gave up and sent the modems back to Aliexpress. Wonder if that is where yours came from initially. Do they look dented on the outside? If so they probably did.
Modems not detected again lol, I bought the em7511 from amazon not aliexpress, the rest from The Wireless Haven. All of them look new to me and they worked for the first couple days, thats why I dont know what went wrong.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Hello again,
Like I said never got mine too work. But this is a thread I found that seemed related if you wanted to try it.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16 ... 5922&hilit
Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy »

gscheb wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 pm Hello again,
Like I said never got mine too work. But this is a thread I found that seemed related if you wanted to try it.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=16 ... 5922&hilit
Thanks for the link shared, I have visited this link before and done the samething but I remember it poped out some error message after the first command. I will try again tomorrow though, thanks.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Do you have a USB adapter you can use to plug the modem into your computer directly? A usb to M.2 one like this link

You can use the above device to check your modem without wondering if the router is messing it up.
Make sure you install Sierra USB drivers for the modems though.

For now though:

Remove the SIM and modem from the router and do a full factory reflash of firmware using the firmware recovery method. Then flash it 2 more times using the webUI. Make CERTAIN that you uncheck the "Save Settings" box right next to the flash file option. Also do not use saved configuration files to load settings. Don't set any settings at all just reflash it.

When your done flashing it a few times. Power it down. Put in just the modem. No SIM.

Power up.

Wait for it to be running for a bit then log into the webUI. Dont set any settings. Just go to the menu Modem-->Miscellaneous--> AT Command Terminal

See if you can run a basic command like

AT!GSTATUS?
Tell us what happens
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

As a general reference. Your above pictures show the router is seeing the modem just fine for general purposes, but for some reason the AT command port is missing. This is on the modem, not the router. the router looks in a specific spot for the AT commands and no where else. If that port has been turned off or changed somehow it wont see the AT command feed or be able to send any commands.

At least as far as I know.
Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:12 am As a general reference. Your above pictures show the router is seeing the modem just fine for general purposes, but for some reason the AT command port is missing. This is on the modem, not the router. the router looks in a specific spot for the AT commands and no where else. If that port has been turned off or changed somehow it wont see the AT command feed or be able to send any commands.

At least as far as I know.
Thank you for the comment, you are right, it is not the router and I finally have it working now. All I did are restoring the router firmware couple times and using Putty to rma reset the modem.

But I have another problem now, one is my verizon postpaid tablet sim got throttled at about 0.5mbps(30mbps with my ipad) even I have set iptables to ttl 117/65, any solution to this? I have tried my att ipad sim as well and it wouldnt even register with the modem.

Appreciated all the help!
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Poorguyyy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:27 am Thank you for the comment, you are right, it is not the router and I finally have it working now. All I did are restoring the router firmware couple times and using Putty to rma reset the modem.
Putty to rma reset the modem.
Can you explain what that means?
Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy »

gscheb wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:28 am Putty to rma reset the modem.
Can you explain what that means?
I used putty to locate(comm port) and send at commands to the modem with a usb adapter, then putting in

ati
at!impref?
at!entercnd="a710"
at!rmareset=0
at!reset
I am not sure this is 100% correct, but at least it worked for me lol.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well good.
Wish could got min to work. Spent days on it finally returned them because of it.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Good work!

So in the end, factory resetting the modem did the trick? That's great!
Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy »

gscheb wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:00 pm Well good.
Wish could got min to work. Spent days on it finally returned them because of it.
Thats good, at least now you can build another setup :D
Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:56 pm Good work!

So in the end, factory resetting the modem did the trick? That's great!
Yes sir! resetting both my router and modem did work out pretty good, thank you for the help.
pridefc

Post by pridefc »

Poorguyyy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:27 am Thank you for the comment, you are right, it is not the router and I finally have it working now. All I did are restoring the router firmware couple times and using Putty to rma reset the modem.

But I have another problem now, one is my verizon postpaid tablet sim got throttled at about 0.5mbps(30mbps with my ipad) even I have set iptables to ttl 117/65, any solution to this? I have tried my att ipad sim as well and it wouldnt even register with the modem.

Appreciated all the help!
New sub here. There's so much great info here! Thanks to everybody that contributes!

Did you ever get your Verizon postpaid tablet to stop registering as hotspot? I'm waiting for my equipment then I will be attempting the same thing.
Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy »

pridefc wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:56 am New sub here. There's so much great info here! Thanks to everybody that contributes!

Did you ever get your Verizon postpaid tablet to stop registering as hotspot? I'm waiting for my equipment then I will be attempting the same thing.
I stopped using the tablet line because Verizon suspended the line for the reason of switching device, worked so long to finally get to a technician to release my line and their technician told me that the policies are getting tougher for people to swap sims cuz the 5g came out. But fortunately, I still have one grandfathered verizon unlimited plan so I can still use that sim for my home internet.
pridefc

Post by pridefc »

Poorguyyy wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:50 pm I stopped using the tablet line because Verizon suspended the line for the reason of switching device, worked so long to finally get to a technician to release my line and their technician told me that the policies are getting tougher for people to swap sims cuz the 5g came out. But fortunately, I still have one grandfathered verizon unlimited plan so I can still use that sim for my home internet.
That's what I was worried about. Thanks for the help!
BillA

Post by BillA »

Poorguyyy wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:50 pm I stopped using the tablet line because Verizon suspended the line for the reason of switching device, worked so long to finally get to a technician to release my line and their technician told me that the policies are getting tougher for people to swap sims cuz the 5g came out. But fortunately, I still have one grandfathered verizon unlimited plan so I can still use that sim for my home internet.

The easiest solution to carrier blocking is to tether a cheap Android phone to a mobile router via a usb cable which will mask it from the carrier, and there's nothing they can do about it. You can even get a used 5G phone on Amazon or Ebay for less than a new 5G modem. Dairyman is currently working on a solution to tether iPhones soon. Here's how to do it with an Android:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

With the new openWRT 19.07 based rooter firmware you can add iphone tethering support. Its a pain, but it works.

You have to get ipheth and a few other related packages installed. Not the simplest thing, but it can work.
Poorguyyy

Post by Poorguyyy »

BillA wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:09 am The easiest solution to carrier blocking is to tether a cheap Android phone to a mobile router via a usb cable which will mask it from the carrier, and there's nothing they can do about it. You can even get a used 5G phone on Amazon or Ebay for less than a new 5G modem. Dairyman is currently working on a solution to tether iPhones soon. Here's how to do it with an Android:
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303
I notice this could be a solution but that doesn't fit my situation quiet well. My area has so much trees and 3 stories building sitting around which makes my SINR so much lower even with great signal reception, so typical phone could'nt reach higher internet speed as I could with the antennas on the modem. In fact, I have tried this method before, and connections aren't as stable as the ones I had with modem and router. But it is definitely a good method for most people, greatly appreciate it.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:16 pm With the new openWRT 19.07 based rooter firmware you can add iphone tethering support. Its a pain, but it works.

You have to get ipheth and a few other related packages installed. Not the simplest thing, but it can work.

Dairyman over on the Whirlpool forum is currently testing iPhone tethering with the help of a user, and he's planning on adding it to the release firmware of all GoldenOrb routers.
Here are two alternatives till iPhone tethering becomes official.

1. It's possible to tether ANY Android or iPhone to a mobile router even if usb drivers are not available, by using WiFi tethering. Instead of connecting the phone to the router via a usb cable, simply plug the phone into a charger, then follow the guide to tether the phone to the router using a WiFi link (https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=10303#p10303). Once it's set up properly, it works just as well as usb tethering. The speed might be a bit lower due to the WiFi link depending on the equipment used, but it's quite good with most modern phones and routers tethered via 5GHz WiFi.

2. Another alternative is to pick up a relatively cheap 5G Android such as the Samsung A71 (Tmobile version, I've seen it as low as 200 bucks on Ebay with a slightly cracked screen which works just fine), which can be tethered to the router via usb.

Poorguyyy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:03 am I notice this could be a solution but that doesn't fit my situation quiet well. My area has so much trees and 3 stories building sitting around which makes my SINR so much lower even with great signal reception, so typical phone could'nt reach higher internet speed as I could with the antennas on the modem. In fact, I have tried this method before, and connections aren't as stable as the ones I had with modem and router. But it is definitely a good method for most people, greatly appreciate it.
Most phones have highly optimized internal antennas, I've seen many cases where the phone can pick up a better signal than an internal modem even with external antennas. Placing the phone as high up as possible from the ground such as a second floor or attic, can significantly increase signal/speed. You will only know if you try it. ;) ymmv

Return to “WiFiX Routers”