Need Help on Flashing Software (the two I got are in Chinese)

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Sergeant Major
Been thanked: 0

Need Help on Flashing Software (the two I got are in Chinese)

Post by Sergeant Major »

I purchased two of the WE-826-T2 Routers with Sierra Wireless MC7455 modems from The Wireless Haven. The tutorial to install the modems was very easy to follow, so thank you for that.

These two routers are set-up with OpenWRT Chinese software, so I don't have a clue how to follow the online tutorial which is in English. I don't see a button to switch the software to English, and doing a search in the blog hasn't helped. I am sure I am simply missing a button for the English switch over. Once I get past this hurdle, then I "might" be able to quickly re-flash it to the WiFiX as shown in the second tutorial for set-up. I am 6 hours into this, and I was thinking 30 minutes to 1 hour set-up max for each one of them. :(
Sergeant Major

Re: Need Help on Flashing Software (the two I got are in Chinese)

Post by Sergeant Major »

Someone at the Sales Office called me and gave me the following link to use. He said the brand new T-2 model routers often have Chinese software and can not be flashed in the normal way as the older T models, and must be boot loaded instead.

https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5

I am trying to change the IPV4 IP address for the ethernet port (as shown in the tutorial), saving the setting, rebooting the computer, and going to http://192.168.1.1/ with the browser to boot load the new software, without success. I have the new software already downloaded and setting in a folder on my desktop. If anyone is experienced in this process, I would greatly appreciate the help. I will gladly call you if you have the time & experience. I am fairly computer literate, just not any type of hacker. I think this will go fairly quickly. Thanks for any time or help with getting at least one of these up & running so hopefully I can repeat the process. I can send you a PM with my phone number or vice-versa. (Just my luck, when I get my order, the router software is now in Chinese & the normal flashing process is now different.) Thanks.
bjames

Post by bjames »

Using the boot loader can be aggregating at times. I have used it on numerous occasions and after a while you sort of develop a touch for it. The important part seems to be the timing, deciding when to let off the reset button in order to access the boot loader menu.

I once timed the process and determined it was either 10 or 15 seconds from the time you plugged the power back into the router.

You may give that a try.
bjames

Post by bjames »

One other thing is you might want to clear your browser cache prior to trying to access the bootloader menu.

You can normally do this by placing your mouse at the top of the open web page tab and pressing the Ctrl and F5 button at the same time.

One other change that I seem to have done on an occasion or two is to leave the gateway settings on the Windows network card blank. In other words, remove the 192.168.1.1 and leave it blank.
Sergeant Major

Post by Sergeant Major »

Thanks bjames. I finally got both routers flashed. I just kept rebooting the computer & resetting the routers and finally the bootloader menus loaded.

I am now searching this group for tutorials so I can set up one router to use AT&T and the other to use Verizon. When I plug in the Sim cards, I get no connection on either router or network, so I know I have to tweak some settings.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Sergeant Major wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 am
I am now searching this group for tutorials so I can set up one router to use AT&T and the other to use Verizon. When I plug in the Sim cards, I get no connection on either router or network, so I know I have to tweak some settings.
Our initial releases of the WE826-T2 routers require a few modifications to connect.

Please refer to this TOPIC
Sergeant Major

Post by Sergeant Major »

JimHelms, I followed this tutorial, but when I get to Step 2, - enter correct APN for carrier you are using, it is merely a blank line with no carriers to select from. I imagine there must be a 4th tutorial I need to follow now to manually input the carrier APN? I will say, building one of these is definitely not for the average person to attempt. ;) Thanks for the help.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Sergeant Major wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am JimHelms, I followed this tutorial, but when I get to Step 2, - enter correct APN for carrier you are using, it is merely a blank line with no carriers to select from. I imagine there must be a 4th tutorial I need to follow now to manually input the carrier APN?
You must type in the APN using your keyboard.
I will say, building one of these is definitely not for the average person to attempt. LOL
Probably not, but again maybe my grandmother is not average. lol
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I edited the TOPIC to include a list of APNs used by the more common carriers.
Sergeant Major

Post by Sergeant Major »

JimHelms, thanks for adding the additional steps on what to type, that is all I needed to complete the process to get both devices working.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Sergeant Major wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:40 am JimHelms, thanks for adding the additional steps on what to type, that is all I needed to complete the process to get both devices "working". My AT& T router/modem set-up is downloading at 3 to 5 mbps, which is about 1 mbps faster than using the tethered cell phone. I got the other router/modem to work with Verizon, but it operates much slower than a tethered cell phone or a Verizon MiFi at this same location. I am only bringing in 290 kbps with it. I was hoping for 15 mbps or better on each of them, so I guess I have a lot more tweaking ahead of me, back to digging into the tutorials.
Try this: Go to NETWORK > FIREWALL > CUSTOM TTL SETTINGS and ENABLE with 65 and SAVE & APPLY.

TTL Rules.png

Unplug power to the router, wait a few seconds, and re-power the router.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sergeant Major

Post by Sergeant Major »

Thanks for the tip, I did this to the Verizon router but still seeing less than 300 kbps. I will also apply this to the ATT router to see if it helps there.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Run the following AT-command and post the results:

Code: Select all

AT!GSTATUS?

Return to “General and Unclassified”