What router should I get for Visible? Any suggestions to purchase from any seller.

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Gil027
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What router should I get for Visible? Any suggestions to purchase from any seller.

Post by Gil027 »

Hi, new here after recently learning of this group on Reddit. Been researching since I’m being forced out to leave my current provider UnlimitedLeasing, since At&T is cracking down on them. Now I’m kinda liking the idea of getting a service with Verizon since I do have some bumps with AT&T LTE speeds but it’s way better than my previous provider (WirelessBuy) which gave me Tmobile with Netgear M1 which I still use. However learning that some people get cut off from visible using the M1 or getting speeds throttled, I’m a bit concerned but been hearing about MoFi routers since they’re more reliable. I’m just curious how I can get one without much to worry and how I can set it up and other thoughts of if this is more complex than simple configurations on a regular router. Anyways, I live in a urban neighborhood if anyone’s wondering may give a good idea for suggestions.

UPDATE: Been researching more before my post uploaded here. Now I’m gonna plan on using Visible with my Netgear since it’s unlocked and knowing it is a Cat16 device should provide better speeds. I’ll give an update on that soon and knowing MoFi is pretty much expensive with not much value inside it knowing it’s a Cat6... so I’m curious what’s a good build and compatible for a 5G router or nearly there with a decent modem with the best bang for my buck. Budget is between 300-500$. I’ll look into it if I’m not satisfied with my current setup.
Gil027

Re: What router should I get for Visible? Any suggestions to purchase from any seller.

Post by Gil027 »

Alright I setup my visible account with an unlocked phone, popped in the card inside the router. Problems I have with it is, I tried to static ip with another router that way I’ll disable the Netgear and make the other router the main one, however it is not liking the new card and won’t work. I am getting strange throttling speeds and Speedtest is having a problem registering the service and just usually shows AT&T as the provider, sometimes Visible shows but tests will not come through. Maybe problem with the Netgear itself or the congestion in my area.. it’s working well watching 720p videos lol but other than that does not work well with anything else no browsing, fails to load thumbnails in YouTube. I’ll just give it a few resets, if nothing changes I’ll switch back to my AT&T provider since it works better than it.
gscheb

Re: What router should I get for Visible? Any suggestions to purchase from any seller.

Post by gscheb »

One issue with using m1 with visible is that visible only allows one device to be connected. One way around this is to repeat signal from m1. Then one device is connected. And everything else is connected to repeater. Here is link to set up m1 visible.
https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=8& ... ilit#p4116
If you can have router with TTL set to 64 multiple devices can connect to it.
Gil027

Post by Gil027 »

Yeah it’s a no go for me. Getting 1 down and 2 up, so probably gonna stick with AT&T with swapping out cards if I get cut out. Especially speed tests pulling speeds 8 miles which is the closest. TTL did no trick but I’ll probably just wait for the new Netgear m5 and see how it performs. AT&T is decent but not better for what I hoped and I guess Verizon hardly has good coverage where I live especially in a urban neighborhood.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Gil027 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:08 am Yeah it’s a no go for me. Getting 1 down and 2 up, so probably gonna stick with AT&T with swapping out cards if I get cut out. Especially speed tests pulling speeds 8 miles which is the closest. TTL did no trick but I’ll probably just wait for the new Netgear m5 and see how it performs. AT&T is decent but not better for what I hoped and I guess Verizon hardly has good coverage where I live especially in a urban neighborhood.
Do you have outdoor antennas with this setup?
Gil027

Post by Gil027 »

No I think that would be the last thing I’d probably do... With At&t with M1 itself I get 20+ Down and 4+ Up (2.4ghz) , 5Ghz 30+ Down and 6+Up. When it’s on static mode and I enabled OFDMA on my RAX120 router it boosts it 10+ down on each and 3+Up each. Enough to bare with 480p streaming slowly throttles speeds to 720p and up. I think it’s because of the congestion/throttled by my provider or AT&T. Used to be able to watch 1080p and 4K with no issue, but it does get hiccups with throttling eventually. I already ordered the M5 Router from AT&T no clue when it will arrive but I can give updates on it.
HermitTX

Post by HermitTX »

I use Netgear M1 Nighthawk by deleting Verizon and replacing it with Visible.
I then connect it to my Netgear WN100 router through ethernet cable and all devices connect through WN100. The speed is upto 5Mb download and upload.
So far the problems I encountered are: (1) sim got no service from Visible after 45 days. I had to pop it into a cellphone to regain service and then pop it back in the Netgear M1. (2) Netgear M1 died on me three times in two months by stopping charging itself.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

HermitTX wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:03 am I use Netgear M1 Nighthawk by deleting Verizon and replacing it with Visible.
I then connect it to my Netgear WN100 router through ethernet cable and all devices connect through WN100. The speed is upto 5Mb download and upload.
So far the problems I encountered are: (1) sim got no service from Visible after 45 days. I had to pop it into a cellphone to regain service and then pop it back in the Netgear M1. (2) Netgear M1 died on me three times in two months by stopping charging itself.
If you get a secondary router on the network to change the TTL and HL values you can get around the 5Mbps hotspot throttle.

If you remove the battery and leave the charger plugged in you can avoid this. Of course that is if you can leave it in one place plugged in all the time. the M1 will work without the battery.
HermitTX

Post by HermitTX »

Thank you for the reply. I will take out the battery.
I have Netgear Nighthawk M1 and connect to N150, is this Netgear N150 the "secondary router" you are talking about?
Change TTL and HL to below?
#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 64
ip6tables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j HL --hl-set 65
#end TTL rules
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

HermitTX wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:53 pm Thank you for the reply. I will take out the battery.
Anytime :)
HermitTX wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:53 pm I have Netgear Nighthawk M1 and connect to N150, is this Netgear N150 the "secondary router" you are talking about?
It can be if you can do iptables and ip6tables mangle commands like you post below
HermitTX wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:53 pm Change TTL and HL to below?
#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 64
#end TTL rules
Looks good to me, except I would state the wwan0 interface on both the iptables too:
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i wwan0 -j TTL --ttl-set 64
#end TTL rules

Technically the PREROUTING lines aren't necessary but redundancy doesn't hurt at all, leave em in there.

Return to “General and Unclassified”