modem loses connection after some time

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
brad2388
Has thanked: 0

modem loses connection after some time

Post by brad2388 »

i have a similer issue to some folks over on facebook with the att sim dropping part of the connection.
after a time has passed not sure if it the amount of data or actual time the modem or att loses connection.

some things will work though. its like the dns is dieing or att is blocking some parts of the internet.

my question is the connection monitoring part of rooter. how can i detect this and have the modem reboot when it happens? currently im pinging 8.8.8.8 but thats not the problem.
Dr-BroadBand

Re: modem loses connection after some time

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

What hardware are you using ?
What firmware?? :geek:
brad2388

Post by brad2388 »

Ah.

Rbm33g and the em7511. Both on new firmware.

Just doing it on that sim. I can put that sim in a different setup and the problem follows the sim/account
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Awesome looks like you found the problem!!
Now just need to find a solution.
What network are you on and what data plan are you using?
brad2388

Post by brad2388 »

Its actually a older unlimited business grandfathered wireless internet/home phone plan with att.

It has been working fine up until a few weeks ago. We was having to restart the wireless internet box several times a day. So i had a spare em7511 setup and started using it. And it fails without reset too.

But i need to figure out what is going down and maybe i can start pinging that server when it goes down.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

brad2388 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:38 pm Its actually a older unlimited business grandfathered wireless internet/home phone plan with att.

It has been working fine up until a few weeks ago. We was having to restart the wireless internet box several times a day. So i had a spare em7511 setup and started using it. And it fails without reset too.

But i need to figure out what is going down and maybe i can start pinging that server when it goes down.
I am assuming your router isnt supported by wifix or rooter. Wifix has a specific menu option that basically pings the router and the modem every 10 min and if either doesnt respond resets whatever didnt respond. is reset. I wonder if someone smarter then me could pull out the script that does that as it sounds like it would help you.

The other thought I had was to "refresh" the imei of your modem to match the device it is still working in properly. You would then of course have to retire that device if not already done.
brad2388

Post by brad2388 »

I currently have it pinging 8.8.8.8 every 30 secs. When the connection is down i can still ping 8.8.8.8 so rooter thinks the connection is still up.

This modem is refreshed to match. Im also using the nxtgenphone imei. Broadband doesnt work on this sim.
scottfree
Been thanked: 0

Post by scottfree »

This stated happening to me on ATT the last couple weeks, very annoying, its really weird to. Today one time it happened I could still access youtube on my computer but no one else could access anything
corywf
Been thanked: 0

Post by corywf »

Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I think the solution is something called 'curl' that you run and sort of ping an actual http address instead of a hard ip. This checks to see if standard http ports are stopping. Then the modem can be set to change bands, if your advanced enough, or reboot. I've never done it, but it may be worth looking into more. Maybe post your findings here.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”